Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

15481 - 15500 of 15525 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Take special note that a pistol AND ammo can be in the same hardsided case. Amazing how many airline and TSA employees crap themselves over that and think it's not allowed.

This is the gun case I travel with when flying: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-108031-Pistol-Accessories-Black/dp/B0029KDHT0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1491911725&sr=1-2&keywords=plano+gun+case
Nice case, no surprise. I stopped bringing ammo with me because of an inspection in, of all places, Dallas. Now I get ammo and a small knife where I go, and leave both with a friend. Some folks like when I fly (which really doesn't happen often).

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts
Nice case, no surprise. I stopped bringing ammo with me because of an inspection in, of all places, Dallas. Now I get ammo and a small knife where I go, and leave both with a friend. Some folks like when I fly (which really doesn't happen often).

I would cry if I started listing the knives I've lost due to forgetting. I wish they would put small quarter-pay lockers in airports again....it would save me (and thousands of others) a LOT of money and hassle.

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
I would cry if I started listing the knives I've lost due to forgetting. I wish they would put small quarter-pay lockers in airports again....it would save me (and thousands of others) a LOT of money and hassle.
Tell me about it. I miss those lockers. But since I started the "leave my friend my knife" program, most have agreed to hold stuff and give it back when I return.

But I'd still rather drive. Because fck airplanes :lol

·
9,238 Posts
Take special note that a pistol AND ammo can be in the same hardsided case. Amazing how many airline and TSA employees crap themselves over that and think it's not allowed.

This is the gun case I travel with when flying: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-108031-Pistol-Accessories-Black/dp/B0029KDHT0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1491911725&sr=1-2&keywords=plano+gun+case
That's a nice case but it's huge!! I love Plano products, they are pretty durable.

I have a Taurus PT709 Slim-does Planocarry a smaller version of what you recommended?

And how about these locks?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015TA6BL2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ARKEK4B75K1E7&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts

·
9,238 Posts
Thanks Kmac and Dan!!!

Arrived at San Antonio airport and had no issues with checking in my bags and declaring my weapon.

Get my orange card signed and dated to place on top of my gun case.
Close everything up and a TSA agent asks to see my case.

I open my suitcase and they proceed to ask for the case-check in attendant already tells them I have shown her my weapon and it is not loaded and is secured.

They want my case and want to open it. Nope, I state it's secured and I'll open it for them but they will not touch my case. They get pissed and I open and close the case once again.

They ask to open the case with the lock on-I have a latch case with a lock on it. I unlatch it and with the lock in place the case opens maybe 1/8" They tell me it has to be secured and cannot open at all.

So I go get two locks at the gift shop and attach one on the case handle and the other on my lock already in place and wrap it around so now if you unlatch it-it opens maybe 2mm and they state that's okay!!

If I didn't listen to you guys I probably would have let them open my case and handle my weapon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Thanks Kmac and Dan!!!

Arrived at San Antonio airport and had no issues with checking in my bags and declaring my weapon.

Get my orange card signed and dated to place on top of my gun case.
Close everything up and a TSA agent asks to see my case.

I open my suitcase and they proceed to ask for the case-check in attendant already tells them I have shown her my weapon and it is not loaded and is secured.

They want my case and want to open it. Nope, I state it's secured and I'll open it for them but they will not touch my case. They get pissed and I open and close the case once again.

They ask to open the case with the lock on-I have a latch case with a lock on it. I unlatch it and with the lock in place the case opens maybe 1/8" They tell me it has to be secured and cannot open at all.

So I go get two locks at the gift shop and attach one on the case handle and the other on my lock already in place and wrap it around so now if you unlatch it-it opens maybe 2mm and they state that's okay!!

If I didn't listen to you guys I probably would have let them open my case and handle my weapon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Good to hear things went well. I've had some doozies (one almost involved me driving from Dallas back to NC because it got that stupid). I give them the benefit of the doubt in I don't feel there is ill-intent or anything. Just that they do not communicate well amongst each other. I hear they have a good boss now, so maybe written correspondence could improve things. Personally; I'd just rather not fly. Ever...

·
11,738 Posts
What do you all think about the new Sig 320 failing the drop test??

15481 - 15500 of 15525 Posts
About this Discussion
15.5K Replies
280 Participants
castrolr1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing