Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"****"
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else ever have this issue?
I had the ohlins race kit installed a couple months ago. I put about 200 street miles on it since the install. I noticed this issue today when I went to go adjust the preload to adjust my sag. All that fluid is just from a few miles going around my neighborhood at 15 mph.

The major leak is from the right side stepper motor connection.

I also noticed a bit of oil on the left stepper motor connection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yessir. Mine's at the dealer now to get covered under warranty. I had mine worked on by Thermosman.

Mine only happens under load so while breaking or when lightly strapped in the trailer.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a bigger problem than they're letting on. Once my warranty runs out I might try and seal it myself because IIRC those caps are not cheap.

Side note: Have you had any problems with your GPS receiver? I think mine has failed but my dealer is struggling with that as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just got mine back. Replaced under YES Warranty.

I saw the unit removed and it's a sealed unit which includes the fork cap it seems so there doesn't seem to be anything that can be tinkered or tampered with. It seems as though the integrity of the unit was compromised and that's why it may have come through the connector. And apparently Yamaha Corp didn't give my dealer a hard time about it after sending them pictures so maybe it's a known issue?

·
Back to the Yamaha community.
767 Posts
I've had these forks apart a couple times. If you remove the the fork caps off the dampening rods you will see a an oring under the cap. That's rod seal you have to screw those caps all the way down to those seals on the rods otherwise they will leak. If I could find it there is specific assembly instructions for those forks for a Ducati online specifies the correct installation. If those fork rods are not sealed or seated properly I can see how this would happen. If you take the caps off and the springs out just pump the rods and fluid will spray out.

When in doubt send them to Ohlins.......

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had these forks apart a couple times. If you remove the the fork caps off the dampening rods you will see a an oring under the cap. That's rod seal you have to screw those caps all the way down to those seals on the rods otherwise they will leak. If I could find it there is specific assembly instructions for those forks for a Ducati online specifies the correct installation. If those fork rods are not sealed or seated properly I can see how this would happen. If you take the caps off and the springs out just pump the rods and fluid will spray out.

When in doubt send them to Ohlins.......
This is interesting... Do you mean inside the motor unit that's part of the fork cap? This would make sense since mine isn't leaking from the fork cap itself but from the electrical connection.

·
767 Posts
This is interesting... Do you mean inside the motor unit that's part of the fork cap? This would make sense since mine isn't leaking from the fork cap itself but from the electrical connection.
That's correct...those caps are stepper motors. If you remove them from the dampening rods and turn them over and look in the caps you'll see the seal. Those caps have to be seated fully on the rods when reassembled. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's correct...those caps are stepper motors. If you remove them from the dampening rods and turn them over and look in the caps you'll see the seal. Those caps have to be seated fully on the rods when reassembled. Hope this makes sense.
Makes A LOT of sense thank you! I can't be too upset at the Yamaha tech who worked on it since he's been doing his best to get support from Yamaha Corp but it seems like it's not there? Plus being under the 5 Year YES warranty helps too. :D

·
767 Posts
Makes A LOT of sense thank you! I can't be too upset at the Yamaha tech who worked on it since he's been doing his best to get support from Yamaha Corp but it seems like it's not there? Plus being under the 5 Year YES warranty helps too. :D
The service manual isn't real clear on the servicing of those forks except it says to install the nut fully onto the dampening rod and make sure the cap is seat "FULLY" before torque to spec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts