Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of fully rebuilt forks to put into my 05 due to the hard chroming coming off and the waiting time for them to be done is stupid.

Gave them to the bike shop to do as i didn't have enough time to fit them myself,apparently these aren't for an 04-06 as the top mounting hole is too short.On the back of the fork base it has Y5SL-L and 04 in a circle.

Anybody know what R1 these came off?. Im getting the bike shop to pull the bases off and fit the bases that are currently on the bike.

Thanks in advance.

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the microfish it is,**** i hate people on ebay.

What if i change the bases around so i can use these with the R1 base?. Everything else lines up bar the top brake caliper mounting hole,internals won't be an issue?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Not sure about that. Maybe contact a wreckers and see if you can trade for the right part or sell em and start again. Depends how much time you have i guess. Good luck mate.

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might have to do that. Bike shop wants $1000 for the left staunch fitted so i thought i'd source a cheaper option but that died in the arse.

Only wreckers i know are Metro in Sydney but their phone is disconnected.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
WTF, $1000? You can probably buy 2nd hand ohlins forks for near that. Go back to ebay and do the work yourself, save a heap of cash. Also try 'findapart', its a good resource.

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WTF, $1000? You can probably buy 2nd hand ohlins forks for near that. Go back to ebay and do the work yourself, save a heap of cash. Also try 'findapart', its a good resource.
Just tried "findapart" and listed that i need the part yesterday,no ohlins for my model on there but i have found several forks through out the world. I need this part asap as its my main transport and have been car pooling lately.

I have no problem fronting up with the cost to get Pro Motorcycles to rip both forks down and change over the bottoms,my main concern now is the internals as they would be suited to a 600,anybody know if this will cause a problem?

·
Is there anybody out there?
3,989 Posts
Just tried "findapart" and listed that i need the part yesterday,no ohlins for my model on there but i have found several forks through out the world. I need this part asap as its my main transport and have been car pooling lately.

I have no problem fronting up with the cost to get Pro Motorcycles to rip both forks down and change over the bottoms,my main concern now is the internals as they would be suited to a 600,anybody know if this will cause a problem?
I wouldn't think it would be a problem as both bikes are basically the same weight.

Mark
99 R1

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
According to the microfish it is,**** i hate people on ebay.

What if i change the bases around so i can use these with the R1 base?. Everything else lines up bar the top brake caliper mounting hole,internals won't be an issue?
Uhm... are you talking about mixing the R1 fork parts and the R6 fork parts?

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the calipers were the same, what year R6 did you find they were for?
2005 i believe so the same year as the R1.

Danq - More so changing the feet[brake caliper mounts] to the ones that are on the bike now.I will be using these forks but with R1 feet if you know what i mean.

I didn't think it would be a problem using the internals but i rather check before using them.

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
2005 i believe so the same year as the R1.

Danq - More so changing the feet[brake caliper mounts] to the ones that are on the bike now.I will be using these forks but with R1 feet if you know what i mean.

I didn't think it would be a problem using the internals but i rather check before using them.
The internals are 20mm, but I'm not 100% sure if they'd interchange.

I will say that you can NOT interchange the lowers. The chrome tube on the R1 is 43mm, the R6 is 41mm.

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tube itself fit and all into the holes up on the yoke but the only thing that was out was the brake caliper mounts. Are you saying the staunch won't fit into the R1 caliper mount?

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Would a spacer fix the gap problem?
I've never seen anything like that.

The chrome tube is actually screwed into the axle mount, then held in place with a grub screw. So the chrome tube, the axle mount, and upper fork tube all have to accommodate the same size tube.

You might have better luck using the R6 fork compete until your repair is done. I know the fender and wheel will fit, Not sure about the triples and the brakes.

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen anything like that.

The chrome tube is actually screwed into the axle mount, then held in place with a grub screw. So the chrome tube, the axle mount, and upper fork tube all have to accommodate the same size tube.

You might have better luck using the R6 fork compete until your repair is done. I know the fender and wheel will fit, Not sure about the triples and the brakes.
It fits in the triple trees fine,the ONLY problem im facing is the small gap for the top brake caliper bolt hole is too short. Maybe a spacer could fill that hole so i could use a longer bolt or something?.

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
It fits in the triple trees fine,the ONLY problem im facing is the small gap for the top brake caliper bolt hole is too short. Maybe a spacer could fill that hole so i could use a longer bolt or something?.
I believe you'd need a 5mm spacer for the caliper mount since the brake rotor for the R1 is 320mm and the R6 has 310mm rotors.

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,633 Posts
I believe you'd need a 5mm spacer for the caliper mount since the brake rotor for the R1 is 320mm and the R6 has 310mm rotors.
Oh well figured Dan, I though he was talking about it being different in the 108mm measurement, that was what was confusing me.

Dai, is Dan understanding you correctly, is it just that the calipers will not sit down tight to the fork mounts without bottoming out on the rotor? If so he is spot on, 5mm spacers.

Put up a pic if you can

·
Love that Crossplane...
1,390 Posts
Oh well figured Dan, I though he was talking about it being different in the 108mm measurement, that was what was confusing me.

Dai, is Dan understanding you correctly, is it just that the calipers will not sit down tight to the fork mounts without bottoming out on the rotor? If so he is spot on, 5mm spacers.

Put up a pic if you can
Don't mean to thread jack, but I've got a similar question Redgecko. I bought Steve's Carrozzeria wheels last year and put on a set of braking rotors for my 05 on them. I never mounted the wheels and just picked up a '12 50th anniversary; I'd like to run the wheels on my '12, will a 5mm spacer allow me to run them with 05 rotors on the stock '12 forks & calipers? It sounds like it based off of your comment, but I wanted to verify first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
6 Participants
Dai.
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing