Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
This...is a...a...suck!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably has been asked before but is there anyone out there that has polished their frame and or wheels themselves? If so then would anyone care to educate me, like specifically what I need to use?
Thanks

·
This...is a...a...suck!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bro...

·
Oh Canabis
275 Posts
I hope you enjoy cleaning, I polished mine about a month after I bought the thing. First bike I polish and last! If I don't blow my budjet with my planed mods this winter, frame and swingarm shall be powdercoated in a beautiful flat black.

I'd rather be riding!

·
Registered
148 Posts
sand sand sand and then start sanding after that you will want to sand seriously I went to the home depot and got a mouse sander you know the ones on TV, you will half to buy an ass load of 220 pads but it saves a lot of time:rock :rock :machinegu

·
This...is a...a...suck!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is a mouse sander anyway? I was going to get an orbital sander last night but Home Depot did not have any paper to fit the sander so I did not get it. I picked up about 30 sheets of 220. It seems like this is the hardest part to get through. Does the oven cleaner work on this? or just keep sanding?

Twisted, how bout those wheels? can I use oven cleaner to remove the finish on them?

Thanks

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
The wheels are cake compared to the frame. It took me a total of about 3 hours to do both wheels and that is removal time included. All you need to do is go to an auto parts store and get "aircraft"stripper,thats what it is called or you can just go to a hardware store and pick up the most bad ass paint stripper they have. Put it on and let it sit till all the paint is bubbly then run the wheels with steel wool,rinse them off and you are done. You might have to do it twice to get all the paint off. You can polish them from there or leave a satin look like I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
polishing

Polishing looks good.Way too much work to keep it looking good.Most of us have been there.Powder coating is where its at.

·
Registered
148 Posts
a mouse sander is the sh!t you can pick one up @ home depoy and if ya get it today itll cost 29.00 I just got one myself, let me put it this way it took me about 4 hours to sand that crap coating off one side of my frame by hand an about 1 hour with the mouse HALE MOUSE if your gonna polish GET ONE:rock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts