Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· I abduct aliens!
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone tell me the difference in the Intutitive frame sliders vs the sliders "clutch" protector......

Do you really need both? I have always used frame sliders in the past , but I have never used "clutch" protector sliders.....I was wondering if it would seriously minimize the damage even more......

Has anyone ever installed both or is it overkill???:eek:

· Action figure sold separately
12,868 Posts
The clutch slider is an additional slider that mounts at the swing arm pivot nut at the right side of the bike. It protects the clutch cover in the event of a crash on the right side.

You can see pics of the Intuitive Racing Products frame sliders, clutch slider, and bar-end sliders installed on a 2000 R1 at my webpage, if you were so inclined to take a look.

· You're so money!
78 Posts
Alien,

I have installed the swingarm sliders, bar end sliders, frame sliders, and clutch slider so far and I am getting ready to order the slider that goes almost in the same place as the clutch slider, but on the left side of the bike to protect the crankcase.

Overkill????? I think not, the way I see it, I will put almost anything on my baby to protect her in the unfortunate event of a crash, I would much rather replace frame sliders than replace parts. Overall, it is your choice though, and a matter of personal preference. They look good though too!

· Always maintain ONE point
995 Posts
01R1 said:
.....and I am getting ready to order the slider that goes almost in the same place as the clutch slider, but on the left side of the bike to protect the crankcase.
Where are you getting the crankcase slider? The only place I have seen that has them is Harris Performance in the UK.

· Registered
3 Posts
Eyespy said:
You can see pics of the Intuitive Racing Products frame sliders, clutch slider, and bar-end sliders installed on a 2000 R1 at my webpage, if you were so inclined to take a look.
link isn't working partner

· THE MAN
3,750 Posts
R1 and R6 Clutch Slider

The R1 and R6 need the Clutch slider because they have the clutch pivot arm on the Bottom of the clutch cover, not on top as most other model's do. If you drop an R1 or r6 even in a parking lot at 5mph there is a good chance that the arm will hit the ground and break the case, then it will leak out all of your oil and you will be stuck.

Most of the other sportbikes do not have this feature/problem.

It is money well spent.

When installing the sliders make sure you put anti-seize on the threads of the bolts. this will help you or the next owner down the road.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have Intutitive frame, clutch, and swing arm sliders, and they work great. I few weeks ago, my bike fell over on its right side, and the only thing that got damaged was a 1 inch scrape on the lower fairing. These sliders would be perfect if the cluth slider had been bad about a half inch longer. This would have prevented the lower fairing from ever touching the ground.

Dave: :hellobye

· Look In Your Mirror. It's Me!
554 Posts
I just put on a set of LP frame sliders on my new 03. It was
a quick and easy install. The slider on the clutch side sticks
out well beyond the clutch, so if it does fall at low speed or
standing it will make me feel better. :p

· Ride till the day I die
539 Posts
I have the Intuitive frame and clutch sliders on my bike. I don't think it's overkill.

I'm sure interested in where to get the crankcase slider now.

· Action figure sold separately
12,868 Posts
CMRRA13 said:
I have the Intuitive frame and clutch sliders on my bike. I don't think it's overkill.

I'm sure interested in where to get the crankcase slider now.
I haven't seen such a slider for the left hand side of the swing arm pivot, but Factory Pro billet engine case covers are available with replaceable sliders for the left and right side.

· Registered
3 Posts
Skeeter-YZF, do the LP frame sliders you have made by Intutitive, or are they made my LP (Lockhart Phillips). I didn't know LP made frame sliders. If the clutch slider is longer than the Intutitive, I'm definitely going to get one.

Thanks, Dave
:jump

· Look In Your Mirror. It's Me!
554 Posts
Dave/StoneyR1
I still had the packages left, so I checked them. Well, I
guess they are Intuitive from the markings on the packs.
But they have yellow Lockhart Phillips tags on them with
stock numbers. I don't know if they are made by LP or
not. Probably not, but I really like the sliders after I got
them mounted on my bike. Randy/Skeeter-YZF:hellobye

· Registered
3,517 Posts
I have the clutch, frame, bar end and swingarm sliders. I have had a few "mishaps" and the clutch protector played a big part in protecting my bike. Definately worth the money. Also, I put one on the left side by getting a small connecter pipe at Home Depot. I cut it to about 1 1/2" long, ground it down to size, threaded the inside, and hammered it into my swingarm pivot. Then I just bolted the protector in.

· Forum Moderator
3,813 Posts
you guys gotta show us how you did this crankcase slider mod!... I think a "HowTo" artical is in the works! :bow

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.