Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
S.S.C. Wichita KS
15 Posts
frame sliders are the SH*T. I pulled a stupid move the other night and layed my bike down in the middle of the road. thank god for my sliders or my plastics would be F*ed.

·
Louisville-Sportbikes.com
1,763 Posts
They will save your ass. But it just kills me when people go out and put these chrome and aluminum sliders on. Those are just for looks and defeat the whole purpose. A frame slider is supposed to slide and melt down, to stop the bike from tumbling. The metel ones just dig into the asphault and flip the bike.

·
My R1 is lonely
52 Posts
I have Harris frame sliders and love them the look and actual performance are top notch. Stay away from those cheap a$$ sliders that have the lights in them you want somthing that will actually protect your bike if you go down and not snap off when they are needed. IMO they look like trash anyways but hey that is just me

·
Banned
2,170 Posts
02BlueR1Ky said:
A frame slider is supposed to slide and melt down, to stop the bike from tumbling. The metel ones just dig into the asphault and flip the bike.
Maybe you could give us a few examples of brands to buy?:dunno It appears the ones I have might be sh!t then. Carbon Fiber appearance with Aluminum end caps:2bitchsla

·
Louisville-Sportbikes.com
1,763 Posts
Rowdy Rods said:
Maybe you could give us a few examples of brands to buy?:dunno It appears the ones I have might be sh!t then. Carbon Fiber appearance with Aluminum end caps:2bitchsla
Those are what you dont want. Think about it. Is metal going to melt down? No, it digs in causing more damage to the bike than it should. Now some aluminum are flat half moon shape and they are made to slide, those are nice as well (LSL Frame Sliders). Other than that stick with a full nylon slider. Just depends on what you like. Yeah and stay away from that light up bull shit. Don't get the ones that are no-cut, their junk. You want the most protection as possible. At least I do! SOLID nylon or the LSL's are the way to go.....*(For Me Anyway)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the lockhart phillips sliders with the aluminum caps. They look sweet. I have had to use them three times now. Two times they broke, not off but bent flat. Laid back the direction of the bike sliding. One time it saved the complete side. The aluminum does grind down because aluminum is a soft metal. They saved my bike from structural damage but was cosmetically trashed. I asked the bike shop about this bending problem and he said that all sliders will bend if you crash hard enough. ie..... louping from wheelies at 50+. have fun and be careless

·
What could go wrong?
71 Posts
i have R&G sliders and I droped my bike off the race stand in a rookie move and the bike had not 1 and I mean not 1 scratch...it fell on concrete i might add.

·
I am one with the R-1
30 Posts
Delrin is the way to go over metal, carbon fiber and the whole 9... another overlook aspect of the frame slider is the bolt u use to mount it. Like in the picture above, many times event the best delrin slider breaks at the bolt and causes damage that could be prevented. I've been searching on ebay and found a manufacturer, "T-REX" that not only makes a good slider, but gives you a good bolt. Here is their write up pulled off of ebay:

"The slider is made of Delrin Acetal plastic-An engineering thermoplastic with good strength, wear resistance and dimensional stability. It is more dimensionally stable than Nylon and used in many industrial ball bearing and friction reducing applications. The bolts are made of highest grade comercially available 12.9(129,000 psi in tensile strength). The special adapter nut is machined from grade 6 stainless steel. Rest assured that you are getting the best material commercially available."

·
I'm eating my R1
81 Posts
Hey all,

I just put on the R+G sliders for my 07 R1 on Saturday. I got the upper and lower frame sliders, bar ends (with weights), front fork protectors, and the tidy tail. I got them the same time my friend with his CBR600RR got them, and unfortunately, he went dwon on Sunday afternoon, a 30-40 MPH low-side in the back roads (Redwood Rd. to the folks in norcal). These frame sliders held up exceptionally well, saving his leg ad the bike. The CBR has only one set of frame sliders, while the R1 has two sets, and I am more then confident (knock on wood that it does not happen) that if I went down, the bie would be safe, and I would be safer then if I did not have them. I'd post some pictures, but my friend has asked me not to, but these sliders are worth their weight in gold!!!!!!!!

Jerry

1 - 20 of 51 Posts