Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they make a no cut fram slider for a 98 r1. If not can someone suggest what brand to buy and how to install(cut fairing)

·
Super Moderator
24,452 Posts
dont get the no cut version... they are worthless.

Here's what I did with my 00 R1. Bought a set of sliders put some playdough in the hole to where the slider was to mount. Put a short marker into the middle of the playdough. Put my fairing back on. Pressed the fairing towards the bike, making a dot on the inside of the fairing. Bought a 2 1/4" hole saw. Cut the hole using the dot as my center position. Installed the slider and presto.... it fit! :yesnod

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that will help alot. Did you have to support the motor to put the one on the other side of the bike. What brand did you use. Bike looks great.

·
I miss my r1!
1,615 Posts
I have an 02 r1 and i just pulled one side out at a time..Just for something to think about...I went down around 50 mph and the frame slider is the only thing that kept the meat on my leg...Don't cheap out with any sliders...I cant say yes or no to the no cut but I think a bracket would be to weak to support you and the bike at any speeds..

·
I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,121 Posts
467 Posts
dont get the no cut version... they are worthless.

Here's what I did with my 00 R1. Bought a set of sliders put some playdough in the hole to where the slider was to mount. Put a short marker into the middle of the playdough. Put my fairing back on. Pressed the fairing towards the bike, making a dot on the inside of the fairing. Bought a 2 1/4" hole saw. Cut the hole using the dot as my center position. Installed the slider and presto.... it fit! :yesnod

Hey guys!! Totally stupid question perhaps.
I was just looking at my 98 R1. and I was thinking where i could install the frame sliders that i had purchased. It wasn't a "no-cut" kit, so there was not offset plates to mount on, and i would like to minimize cutting if possible.

why must the sliders be mounted where he did, what about here? (in the middle of the "o" where the fairings are screwed in.)

If not, where is he screwing in the sliders to? (my package did not come with instructions...)

*Braces to get flamed*

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
I see a few problems. One is that's a 6mm thread. ,Two is that they are your side fairing mounts. If you were to drill out the 6mm thread to 8.5mm, then tap it out to 10mm, to take the crash posts. You'd either have nothing holding your side fairings, or you'd have to clamp the fairings between the crash posts and the frame. That is if there was enough meat in the frame to take 10mm bolts, or withstand crash damage, if you had to rely on them.

Sorry to rain on your parade.:(

467 Posts
I see a few problems. One is that's a 6mm thread. ,Two is that they are your side fairing mounts. If you were to drill out the 6mm thread to 8.5mm, then tap it out to 10mm, to take the crash posts. You'd either have nothing holding your side fairings, or you'd have to clamp the fairings between the crash posts and the frame. That is if there was enough meat in the frame to take 10mm bolts, or withstand crash damage, if you had to rely on them.

Sorry to rain on your parade.:(
no rain at all, thanks for the super fast response. I actually have not taken the screw out yet. Just got the bike. still familiarizing with the service manual before i even touch it. I was not aware the screw/threads were different on those two. (I'm also not the most mechanically inclined individual but I'm trying to learn :D)

thanks! I suppose there I have it, ill have to follow his photo/diagram.

Thanks guys.

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Cool. :thumbup

Keep at it, you've got a great bike to learn to work on.

467 Posts
The "how to" on how to install the no-cuts is dead nuts on the money....take your time, and it'll be fine.

I cannot recommend Shoguns enough.

And do a clutch slider while you're at it.

I found a place that will ship Shoguns, but i heard good things about intuitive...

Whats the verdict boys? if i cant find some one who sells/ships intuitive i might just grab the shoguns

1 - 11 of 11 Posts