Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you put your frameslider on the right side of the bike? Do you cut in the fairings or is there another way to solve this?

I want to get framesliders. But at the same time, I don't want to cut in the fairings.

Look at the picture I've attached. That looks awful.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
It looks bad because someone used the wrong size hole saw and did it in a hurry,I had to use the wrong size also but took my time and it does not look that bad.

·
1,894 Posts
I saw those to but they only stick out an inch or so,my 70mph lowside took that much off the normal slider. I would rather cut a hole and have more protection. My 0.02

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you SGP racer.

Can't these things be taller then? I mean.. if they are too short.. why not make it taller? Can't I ask for that?

·
1,894 Posts
Tha sliders are machined and I don't think they will retool everything to make one set longer. Just break down and cut the hole,I promise it is painless;)

·
:)
387 Posts
let me ask what could be "a stupid question." i have full coverage insurance on my bike with a pretty low deductable. is there really a purpose to get frame sliders if you have a good insurance policy? now i guess the follow up question. if you have a solo accident, will your insurance rate sky-rocket? i'm guessing it probably does and that is why people use frame sliders . . . . :iamwithst

·
1,894 Posts
I use them because 1)insurance will not cover a track accident,2) I don't want to have to repaint my plastics again,3) I save insurance claims for a big ass wreck so my rates do not go up,4) they are great for resting your feet on for long trips hehehe

·
Bikes, cars, and women
48 Posts
Yeah I have seen a bike with the stubby frame slider and the clutch protector that went down at 50ish and the stubby was worn down pretty good :eek: . Personally I would rather take the chance with the stubby and not cut holes in my fairing then not have anything at all ;) . I have another friend that has a 2001 R1 and he also has a stubby frame slider on the right side but his frame slider is alittle longer then mine. I will find out where he got his and let you know.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Swedie said:
Can you post a picture of what your bike looks like on the right side?
You can see more pics at my R1 photos page

Edit: For some reason the server would not let me attach the picture file.

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
What are those frame sliders made of some type of cuttingboard material ? I would just take a piece of that to a machine shop and have them make Me a new one :yesnod Just a thought

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not only was someone in a hurry when they cut that hole, but it also looks like they cut it from the inside out. You want to cut the hole from the outside in, and then use a Dremel tool or some sandpaper to clean up any rough edges.

I installed these on my R6 and my GSX-R750, and neither one came out looking like that. You just have to do it right...

Aa.

·
1,894 Posts
aarong said:
Not only was someone in a hurry when they cut that hole, but it also looks like they cut it from the inside out. You want to cut the hole from the outside in, and then use a Dremel tool or some sandpaper to clean up any rough edges.

I installed these on my R6 and my GSX-R750, and neither one came out looking like that. You just have to do it right...

Aa.
You are right and don't forget to put masking tape over the area to keep the paint from chipping(just a precaution)

·
I Jigga high, I Jigga Lo
1,708 Posts
Can't we put some washers in between the frame and the slider itself to extend them out a little further. This would also be a good way to change the wear angle of a used slider (as in worn on 1 side).

Discuss.:confused:

·
1,894 Posts
You might be able to use washers but it might compromise the structural integrity of the bolt and might snap off

·
My R1 eats tires.
37 Posts
The diameter of the bolt holding the right slider is to small and has a good chance of snaping off. I meet someone who put on the sliders that require no drilling because he didnt what to drill the fairing. Well he dumped his bike on the right side and the slider snaped off and he totaled his fairing. He said that he wished he put on the sliders that required drilling the fairing because it would of saved him time and money. :not

·
:)
387 Posts
ok guys.... i ask this question for those of us considering getting frame sliders. i am convinced to get some, but now the question. where and how many are needed? after looking into buying some, i have noticed there are bar end sliders, fairing sliders, clutch protector sliders, swing arm sliders. how many are really needed? :iamwithst

·
I Jigga high, I Jigga Lo
1,708 Posts
Good Question,
I bought the frame and bar end sliders. Should I plaster all of them all over my bike. Hell, I can drill 3 or 4 onto my helmet. My point is, "Is it over kill to include the others?" Where are the test results of lab technicians dragging R-1s around from the back of a pick-up and taking notes of friction points? :eek: I do understand "better safe than sorry"

Later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts