Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cant turn right king
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently he rides a cruiser, Honda Shadow 750. He's thinking about buying a used '04 Triumph Daytona 600 which was raced in AMA Superstock (1/2 a season). It has roughly 2200 miles on the odometer, but we figure it has something more like 5k or 6k on it. It has off the top of my head an Ohlins rear shock (and stock shock), resprung forks , sharkskinz, rear sets, Brembo master cylinder (front), Ohlins steering dampener, Power Commander III USB, Graves Ti slipon, prototype headers (cuz on one makes them), and Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa tires on it, along with a blueprinted engine. The price on it is $4,700.

However, the owner says the bike was low sided on the track once and the bike had some frame damage (subframe was bent but was restraighten) and quite a bit of rash on the fairings and tank. It also has no key ignition (cuz it was a race bike). The frame was straightened out (have paperwork), but rashed fairings and tank are still on.

I'm wondering if this bike would be a good buy for him, any advice would be appreciated

these are all pre-crashed photos (looks nearly the same)

It has been converted to street, he has never ridden a sportbike before (he is a big guy... 220lbs now)
Personally I think its pretty nice... for everything that it comes with and for a first sport bike (cuz it wont be that bad !when! he drops it) and mostly cuz he is trying to go for a 1000cc bike for his first SPORT bike...

·
Banned
432 Posts
Just my .02, for that kind of $ I would buy something from one of the big 4 thats stock & may'be a little cosmetically challenged. I would try and keep it as simple as possible & just let him ride the bike & work on his riding instead of working & maintaining a developed racebike.

·
Cant turn right king
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what his add says about the bike
------
one of a kind , collectors item. former AMA 600 supersport race bike . converted to street . bike has 2290 miles. 105 rear wheel hp. motor has been blue printed , raised compression , 5 angle valve job, slotted cam sprockets hand built titanium 4-2-1 exhaust, K+N airfilter , rear sets , ohlins shock , ohlins steering dampner, 520 gearing (new chain), front forks have After Shocks internals, brembo radial mastercylinder, braided brake lines , galfer pads, swingarm spools and frame sliders, carbon front fender.
------

·
Always getting faster...
1,205 Posts
Wookee said:
Just my .02, for that kind of $ I would buy something from one of the big 4 thats stock & may'be a little cosmetically challenged. I would try and keep it as simple as possible & just let him ride the bike & work on his riding instead of working & maintaining a developed racebike.
:iamwithst
A Triumph will be expensive to fix when it breaks, and because there's so much custom stuff, it will be even more expensive. For the money I'd suggest a race-converted R6 or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts