Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· From beyond the stars
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so before riding season started for us up here in the north east-coast. I headed out to the parts store and decided to make a lubricant change, and not knowing how I would like the results I risked it and purchased two big jugs of Rotella T6 oil. The oil sat in my garage for another two weeks since the K&N oil filters I purchased had not shipped yet.

My filters arrived a few days ago and did my oil change, and let me say that I don't think I will be using any other type of lubricant. I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I use my clutch is during down shifting. So my shifting had become so smooth and no clutch slippage. So if anyone is thinking about making the change, you won't regret it.

· Take the red pill
6,964 Posts
It's not getting good lab results lately. On my VFR forum it's shearing down in 2k miles so change it at that interval or sooner. Meanwhile my Amsoil lasts a full year and 4-5k miles and Blackstone says good to go. As soon as I have 1500 miles on my T6 in the VFR I'm draining it and no longer going to use it.

· Crossed Up
1,587 Posts
It's not getting good lab results lately. On my VFR forum it's shearing down in 2k miles so change it at that interval or sooner. Meanwhile my Amsoil lasts a full year and 4-5k miles and Blackstone says good to go. As soon as I have 1500 miles on my T6 in the VFR I'm draining it and no longer going to use it.
It's funny you say that. I've been using Rotella T6 for years in everything, and just the last while I've been noticing/thinking that it's shearing pretty quickly.

On my dirtbike the shifting is great when fresh and then after maybe 4-5 hours the shifting gets quite notchy. Change the oil and she's great again (for another 4-5 hours). This is on a WR250F where the oil change requirement is WAYYYY longer than that.

On my Trailblazer SS which are known for piston slap when cold, after a fresh oil change the piston slap is pretty well non-existent. Give it 3-4k (km's) and I can hear it a bit. Change the oil, and it's gone.

I've already decided I won't be running it in either race bike this year. I had a big problem with false neutrals on the R6 last year, so I'm not chancing it. New trans gears on the way and I'm going with Motul in both race bikes. We'll see if the same issue presents itself, but I doubt it will. Not after seeing the dirtbike difference in shifting.

· go go juice gonna make me win
1,068 Posts
lot of people seem to be happy with the t6, i know one person that uses it without problem. i personally use castrol oil and don't think i would ever use anything not specifically designed for motorcycles, especially if it ever sees the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.