Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the thread size (major DIA & pitch) of the threads on the four bolts used to attach the front calipers to the forks on an '00 R1? After swapping out the front wheel many times, I have finally managed to strip the threads in the forks, so I am going to have to heli-coil them.

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
I am not seeing it in the Owners Manual, Try sending Martinc a pm, he will probably no off the top of his head.

Where are you from in Michigan Arwun? Sounds to me like we might work in the same field and I am wondering if I know you.

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
I live in Flint, Work in Troy. I am a Project Manager for one of GM's Engineering Suppliers.

Is the pic in your avatar taken at Grattan?

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that picture's taken @ turn 4 - Grattan.

BTW, I am also an engineer; working @ GM in Pontiac. Do you ever ride in the Pinckney / Hamburg / Hell / Gregory area? Do you attend very many track days @ Grattan / Gingerman / Road America / Mid Ohio / Putnam / etc?

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
Havent Done any track days yet, I am taking a class at Grattan in april to get my license. I plan on hitting several track days on the R1 this year and having a track bike for the following year. Just not sure what class I will try to race in yet.

Did you try to PM MartinC on the bolt?

You have PM

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You haven't done ANY track days yet, or you haven't done any at Grattan? If you haven't done any anywhere, I wouldn't expect to go racing any time soon.

Is the class at Grattan in April that you are refering to the free one put on by Team Chicago? If so, I'm an instructor, and it's pretty basic. It will take a lot of practice before I would consider someone ready for actual racing. But, that's just my opinion.

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
Yes it is the free one and no I havent rode on a track yet (road track) Wasnt planning on racing this year, just going to as many of the open track days as I can. I would like to start racing the following year. Do you know Dave Odie?

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I see. That sounds like a better plan. Unless you are a natural (which you may be), I would expect you to find that riding fast enough to race is more difficult than you think. Not really difficult, I guess, it just takes practice & balls.

I don't know Dave Odie by name, but may recognize him. Should I know him?

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
Dave is a DFE for GM that I have worked with, he raced semi professionally for several years. I believe his desk is at TPC-E

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see Dave's name in our employee list. Are you sure that's how he spells his last name?

I'm @ TPC-North

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
I had a typo there, his last name is Ode, he is a part of Lori Krentz's (not sure on the spelling there, she just replaced Joe K.) organization, his direct manager is Tim Collinge. I havent worked with Dave since the 800-30 program but I still talk to him often, so far he has been my only source for information on racing. He raced CCS expert class from 96 to about 99 or so.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found him now. I don't work directly with him, but in the same general area. Joe K. is now my director.

Does Dave ride anymore at the track?

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
5,956 Posts
NO, though I dont think it would be hard to get him to go for an open day. I am not sure how many bikes he has left. I believe a Gix1K and a FZR600 that is built up. I was going to twist his arm to go sometime this summer with me so I could milk him for some pointers.

·
Permanently single
254 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but in case anybody else comes up with the same question, at least the answer will be here...

I asked MartinC, and it's an M10 bolt. I measured with calipers, and 10 threads takes up 1.25cm (easier than trying to measure the space between 2 threads). And it's 30mm long.

So, this bolt is an M10x30x1.25.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts