Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lust for Life
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many months of being out of commision, my 2001 R1 streched her legs today and got back on the track. I had ridden only once since my accident on a borrowed bike and being back on the track felt very good.

I was very apprehsive at first as I didn't know how the R1 would handle but all my fears were soon put to rest as the bike behaved her self nicely (almost).

During my last get off, my front forks got bent and not wanting to risk it I went ahead and purchashed a set of forks from a 02/03 bike. The forks I got had .95 springs by racetech and a few other internals but needed to have the oil and seals replaced.

I took the forks to PPS Racing and had them overhauled (PPS is not cheap but they do great work) - while there Stig (the owner) said the forks had a stiffer spring but not much dampening or travel - well I guess he was right.

At around 70mph or so the bike behaves quite nicely but once the pace picks up the front end starts to chatter - it's as if the forks dont' have any travel and just bounce up and down incessantly.

At first I thought it only happened under braking as it seemed to get worst under heavy breaking but it also happens while getting on the gas.

To say the least I was dissapointed at the condition and teawking w/the suspension did little to aliviate the problem. I rode around it most of the day but toward the afternoon I had had enough.

Soooo...now that I have written this long ass story, what can I do to resolve this issue? Or what base can I use? I tried setting the suspension to a somewhat neutral position:

6 lines of preload
5 clicks out (from full) on rebound
5 clicks out (from full) on compression damping

I tried different variations of preload and rebound and all w/poor results. I'm really at a loss here so any suggestions are welcomed.

Tire pressure was set at 31/30. I'm running 208GP in the front and a Rensport rear: 120/70-180/55.

Weather today was: 70 degrees F (21 degrees C) winds at 2mph from the WSW - a beautiful day in the California high desert.

I had a cheeseburger and a hotdog for lunch and took a crap the previous night. Aside from that I can't think of anything else that would have an effect on the bike.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
I had issues with the 208GPs on my 2000 R1. My bike was set up with Pirellis and runs perfect on them. I put a set of 208 GPs on, and the bike was good up to anything under 70 mph. 70 or above, it was completely unridable. Massive headshake. This is with the suspension set up with a Penske 8987 shock, Lindemann forks. I pulled into the pits, pulled the tires and took the bike back out with Pirellis, and it was perfect again.

I would either make geometry changes so you can use the Dunlops front and rear, or preferably, I would ditch the Dunlop all together and go with the SC Pros front and rear. The Rennsport rear you are running is essentially the same tire as the 180/55 Pirelli SC, and it likely didn't match well with the front 208GP, which is a very tall, triangulated profile tire, unlike the Renn rear. BTW, I ran a set of new SC Pro slicks on my 04 yesterday, and it was, for me, the best tire I have ever used, and I have used almost everything except the new Power Race and some of the Bridgestones, and the 209s.

BTW, glad you had fun, were you with the A group or B group? Hope I didn't overcook your burger :finger

·
Lust for Life
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eyespy said:
I had issues with the 208GPs on my 2000 R1. My bike was set up with Pirellis and runs perfect on them. I put a set of 208 GPs on, and the bike was good up to anything under 70 mph. 70 or above, it was completely unridable. Massive headshake. This is with the suspension set up with a Penske 8987 shock, Lindemann forks. I pulled into the pits, pulled the tires and took the bike back out with Pirellis, and it was perfect again.

I would either make geometry changes so you can use the Dunlops front and rear, or preferably, I would ditch the Dunlop all together and go with the SC Pros front and rear. The Rennsport rear you are running is essentially the same tire as the 180/55 Pirelli SC, and it likely didn't match well with the front 208GP, which is a very tall, triangulated profile tire, unlike the Renn rear. BTW, I ran a set of new SC Pro slicks on my 04 yesterday, and it was, for me, the best tire I have ever used, and I have used almost everything except the new Power Race and some of the Bridgestones, and the 209s.

BTW, glad you had fun, were you with the A group or B group? Hope I didn't overcook your burger :finger
The burger was fine thank you. :)

I thought it could be the different tire profiles as I've never ran this mixed set up so that could definately be an issue.

I normally run the 208GP (front and rear) and never experianced any ill side effects. I also have the Penske 8987 and I was wondering if the new shorter forks are getting to much load from the rear?

Also, the issue with front end chatter is only on the up/down motion - I never got head shakes in general tank-slapper form (except for T6 but that always happens).

BTW, I was riding in the slow group - after a huge T8 crash and being apprehensive on how the bike would it handle it was the logical choice.

Also, good move on the inside passing rule.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts