Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Need to go Faster
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i had my steering head bearings adjusted anyways it seems now that the brake pads are making that noise it seems that they are a bit loose in there , is that normal?/???????

when i press the break just a bit and press on the forks i get that knock, when i press the break real hard i don't get that

any ideas????

· street-dirt-snow
140 Posts
im getting that loud klunking and knocking sound when i brake hard....nothing seems loose...sorry im dumb but can you explain a little more explicitly what needs to be tightened?
thanx:jump

· street-dirt-snow
140 Posts
so is this a dead topic or what?
i know someone in here has the answer...
why is my front end clunking and knocking under heavy braking and it seems to happen when im almost stopped...if its in another thread...someone be a hero and link me....
thanks

· all done
939 Posts
Well its got to be the stearing head is loose. Hard breaking you get a small knock. Knocker like on your head in the picture. hehe. but anyways send more picks and maybe we'll tell you. Just kidding get a small screwdriver Just above the tank bolt under you triple clamp you'll see the stearing head bolt, with a lock one idenical and directly on top of it. Just tap the screwdriver on one of the groves very slightly maybe one or two hits. the most see if it goes away. This isnt the way to do it correctly but will work. " dont over tighten" The nuts look like the preload on the rear shocks on some bike. :boobies

· My R1 ate my R6
2,536 Posts
My friend's 02 R1 and my 02 R1 both started making a bad popping noise, crackling sound from below the handlebars on hard breaking after 1600 miles. He got his fixed. It was the jam bolt that holds the bearings in place in the steering head. Mine still snaps, crackles, and pops until I can get it over to the shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.