Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, switching from S1000RR to the R1M. I've previously owned SC59 superbike and have just parted out my sbk S1000RR. I have not used anything but the DDS systems from K-Tech up until this point in time. I feel like trying something else than K-Tech at this point in time.

The plan was to install the Bitubo RCH24 forks and rebuild the R1M rear shock to mechanical spec. Besides going full Öhlins, which is an option as well, have anyone tried something else on the R1 that can comment?
I have friends with both the ECH Bitubo cartridge and others with NIX25 cartridge, so I know that it would okay, but it would be nice for anyone with experience to comment. I am a little short on funding for the FGR301 which would have been my first priority...!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm... you already have full Ohlins with the R1M.
Yes, that much is obvious. Inthought it was clear from my post that I am removing Electronics suspension in favour of conventional suspension.

Could be my question is too much down to taste to warrant an online discussion... but now I asked at least.

·
My R1 is my Pacemaker
568 Posts
Lol exactly..11-13k to replace all the carbon bits from factory or the oem online retailers...the factory ohlins is amazing if properly setup and you can go to full on manual mode via the setting in the menu...if the carbon is coming all off, and all ohlins removed could have got a ccu from someone and pieced the rest together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm am by far a n00b at this, so of course I am aware of the difference in price, but as pointed out, the difference is made up by more than the suspension.

I own a company dealing in race parts and got the M at a good price. The CCU is not going on the bike and suspension will be mechanical. I have a long list of parts being bought for the build, and if I could buy the FGR301 I wouldn't have asked the question.
OEM carbon fairings are all new and wrapped up in storage. The build will be new to me since I specialize in the S1000RR, but I think I am on top of everything but the decision in front fork.
(The bike had some front end damage with the fork being damaged, hence the standard Öhlins being ditched. Had it been intact I would tried it, but likely removed it anyway...)

·
Gian11
1,576 Posts
stupid how a real question got turned into a discussion about the OPs judgement on buying a bike...

Think the R1M already has a production version of the NIX catridges in electronic form. So doubt you will see much from a manual NIX. The BITUBO catridges are gas catridges which should make them a class above. Regret that I haven´t tried them on an R1 but I have had the chance to try aftermarket NIX30 and Bitubo ECH on an S1000RR and I did prefer feedback and stability of the Bitubos.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FWIW, I have a buddy on a stock '17 R1M + slicks that's running within a couple of seconds of the all time lap record for unlimited Superbike at ThunderHill. IMHO, properly set up (drop the front) the R1M's stock suspension is more than good enough as-is and the electronics deliver the goods.

I have the same set-up but am >2000 miles behind him in seat/track time and am a lot slower. However, I able to cruise round at what used to be an all time best pace on my previous and massively modified R1.

IMHO, the bst investment you can make on an R1M is time on track and (re)learning how to really use the electronics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, I have a buddy on a stock '17 R1M + slicks that's running within a couple of seconds of the all time lap record for unlimited Superbike at ThunderHill. IMHO, properly set up (drop the front) the R1M's stock suspension is more than good enough as-is and the electronics deliver the goods.

I have the same set-up but am >2000 miles behind him in seat/track time and am a lot slower. However, I able to cruise round at what used to be an all time best pace on my previous and massively modified R1.

IMHO, the bst investment you can make on an R1M is time on track and (re)learning how to really use the electronics.

Seems like I am not really getting through here. I am more than experienced enough to know where the money is best used, but since I also own a company selling race parts, it is sort of self explaining I believe. I am deeply involved with the BMW, and I have built a fair share of race bikes with electronic suspension... I know that it works. But the bike had a damaged front fork when I bought it, so it is not sort of an option. Unless I stumble upon a used one.
I have the opportunity to build the bike as I believe a real race bike should be built. This involves mechanical suspension. And I will still be able to ride it as much as I can spare the travel time to. My only question was if anyone had experience with either the TTX25 cartridge or the Bitubo fork. Simple as that.

Just so you know where I am coming from. I am not all new at this, only with the R1. I think the thread has proved pointless, since it is not really nothing else than a discussion on feelings. I'll see where the road leads me to, I'll end up with something :nerd:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently, I can't edit my posts yet, because of low post count or something similar useless. Sorry for the double picture. Last trip to Spa Franchorchamps before parting out the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And since I am derailing the thread completely, you can see something is missing here ;) I guess I'll find something soon enough!

·
Registered
77 Posts
And since I am derailing the thread completely, you can see something is missing here ;) I guess I'll find something soon enough!

OK didn't realize that you didn't have a front fork.

I get your point, your are experienced and quick, so is my buddy. We were both shocked that he got so close to the lap record on a stock bike in just a few sessions. Neither of us thought the stock R1M suspension could be pushed so hard.

·
Gian11
1,576 Posts
Seems like I am not really getting through here. I am more than experienced enough to know where the money is best used, but since I also own a company selling race parts, it is sort of self explaining I believe. I am deeply involved with the BMW, and I have built a fair share of race bikes with electronic suspension... I know that it works. But the bike had a damaged front fork when I bought it, so it is not sort of an option. Unless I stumble upon a used one.
I have the opportunity to build the bike as I believe a real race bike should be built. This involves mechanical suspension. And I will still be able to ride it as much as I can spare the travel time to. My only question was if anyone had experience with either the TTX25 cartridge or the Bitubo fork. Simple as that.

Just so you know where I am coming from. I am not all new at this, only with the R1. I think the thread has proved pointless, since it is not really nothing else than a discussion on feelings. I'll see where the road leads me to, I'll end up with something :nerd:
If it´s worth anything the new FKR spring pressurized catridges are replacing the TTX25 and are supposed to be an improvement over the old gas catridges.

I cannot afford right now FGR forks either but have been discussing with SBU on getting FGRT219 forks(which come with NIX30) with FKR catridges fitted. Maybe something you might want to look at as a middle ground cost/performance wise vs full on FGR forks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it´s worth anything the new FKR spring pressurized catridges are replacing the TTX25 and are supposed to be an improvement over the old gas catridges.

I cannot afford right now FGR forks either but have been discussing with SBU on getting FGRT219 forks(which come with NIX30) with FKR catridges fitted. Maybe something you might want to look at as a middle ground cost/performance wise vs full on FGR forks.
There is that possibility as well. As with all else, I am looking at what 'half-measures' cost, compared to just sending off half my yearly savings for a complete fork a la Öhlins/Bitubo/K-Tech. I have access to all brands through the company, and Öhlins is the most expensive one, with K-Tech and Bitubo being the same price. I have ridden K-Tech for the past 5 years, and I am mightily impressed with K-Techs 20DDS pressurized cartridge, but I have to send the suspension out for service to Germany since no-one local are authorized to service K-Tech. Bitubo and Öhlins make race-life a little easier... hmm, decisions decisions!

With half measures I meant buying the FGRT forks and then buying the FKR cartridges. That will make that option too expensive I think. I would rather spend the last few Euros on the complete fork. If the budget doesn't change, it will be the Bitubo or K-Tech fork. If it does change, I'll buy a standard fork and fit it with the new FKR cartridge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts