Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, finally got round to doing the -1 sprocket change last Sunday but only today did I get a chance to take the R1 out for a long-ish spin. Some birthing pains (attached gear selector rod to the wrong hole - shifter a pain to reach; too much lube on the chain = rear wheel & tyre caked etc), but overall really pleased with the change, the difference is instantly noticeable, the bike feels great. Also changed the adjuster bolts and put on gold axle blocks and an evotech nut. So far so good.

One thing gave me pause, though - on first start the engine light came on and stayed on for a first 5-or-so miles, then it went away. Got where I needed to go, left the bike for a couple of hours, then when starting it - again got the engine light. And again, after a few miles it went away... Not sure what that is supposed to mean. Bike ran totally fine as well, no issues.

The only thing I thought could be the culprit would have been the bunch of cables routed through the lip on the sprocket cover that need to be shifted out of the way to take the cover off. Thought I might have shifted them loose somehow, but then the engine light went away so I'm baffled. Any ideas?

Another thing is that I had the battery out again; when putting it back in I decided to move the ECU box out of the way to pop on that f**king rubber belt which secures the battery in place. Didn't disconnect anything there, bike works, fuelling is as good as ever - don't think that would have caused the issue.

Ever happened to anyone here? Should I be worried, and if so, what do I need to check?

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Short answer No. longer answer Dont know!
Me personally I will do one job test and move on to the next job if all is fine, this will minimise the questions/ifs and buts when it goes wrong.

Next question people will ask you is what year is your bike?

good luck fixing it.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's an 08, 4C8 R1. About fixing it though - not sure if there is anything there to be fixed. I'll give it a run to work tomorrow and see what is what. Worse comes to worst I'll ring the stealers (dealer warranty ended on 20 Jan, conveniently...).

EDIT: I was basically wondering if this was a common thing and people here came across it at all. Odd.

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I haven't seen it on here before but that dose not mean its not been covered. So long as your sprocket was fitted correctly (writing out etc.) and I doubt that would throw a warning light. could you have trapped a cable that got wet on your ride (and shorted) or moved the loom/connector that connects to the top of the ECU?

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good points there, thanks. ECU is the easiest to check which I shall do tomorrow morning. As for the sprocket - luckily the 16 one I put on is the same both sides; luckily they also make them for oafs like yours truly...

Hmm... Shorted cable... this sounds pretty plausible and definitely something to check. Just as well I don't mind a bit of spanner work. Thanks very much for the info ;)

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Defo checked the sprocket before put on, looked identical both sides. In a theoretical scenario that it wasn't, and that I put in on wrong - do you think that could manifest itself through engine light? I know I'm reaching slightly but this forum has by far the most accurate info on R1s, so maybe someone knows.

I will take it apart on the weekend and see what I can see. I'm on trusty old 530 btw.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Right... having had some more time to finally dig deeper into this I know exactly what's wrong and there's a word of warning to anyone who wants to take the sprocket cover off in the future (for whatever reason).

Turns out I get error code 17, which is for EXUP servo motor circuit being open or shorting. True enough, when ignition is on the bike fails EXUP valve and servo motor check (no whirring coming from the servo and no cable movement). That's because I must have been a bit cack-handed routing the bunch of cables over the sprocket cover lip and I must have pulled the servo cable loose somehow. It is yet unclear to me whether I pulled it on the servo side, or on the harness side.

Couple of questions:

- not had a chance to put the bike on stand yet to check the servo-side connector, I can see it but can't seem to be able to disconnect it. Anyone know if there are any tabs holding the plug in place on the servo motor?
- Where does the cable connect to on the other side? I've gone as far as lifting the tank (I don't have much time nowadays) as I was hoping I would see the cable from above, but it seems to go past the left frame spar and disappear somewhere under the airbox. If anyone can point me to where I need to dig it would be awesome.

And thus comes the warning - this is not something I ever saw in any of the sprocket changing guides - the cables routed over the sprocket cover flange are tight and there is not much room for manouver, at least on my bike. To get the cover off you end up having to pull the cables: be very gentle, don't yank on them.

All in all, not a major issue, just a baw ache trying to trace that servo cable, if you can let me know where to look I will be very grateful, and so will the R1.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final update, hopefully.

Servo motor connector plug is released from the socket by pressing a tab on the top of the plug (there is a very faint click once the tab is disengaged) and pulling the plug out.

I took the plug off, re-wired all connections and cleaned the whole thing, now all is well - EXUP test passed on ignition. Thanks for all the help and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.