Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am trying to swap out sprockets and chain but the front sprocket is giving me the hardest time. Any tips on what I can do? Currently have it in neutral on front and rear pit bull stands, with a breaker bar wedged through the swingarm hole and rear wheel (same set up as
). The sprocket is legit not budging in the slightest. Open to any and all suggestions as I feel like I am about to break something in my feeble attempts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You mean 3/8 to 1/2 right? The socket is quite big.
The reason the air impact works , is that it’s torque snaps the the nut with out trying to turn the transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean 3/8 to 1/2 right? The socket is quite big.
The reason the air impact works , is that it’s torque snaps the the nut with out trying to turn the transmission.
Was going to try this Milwaukee M18 impact driver with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-4-in-x-1-2-in-Steel-Square-Socket-Adapter-48-32-5032/202562859 since I don’t have an air compressor. Will give it a shot tomorrow and see if I can break it loose. Brian Van gets his off so easily in the video. Maybe I need to hit the gym more 💪🏼

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Impact wrench. The reason locking the wheel doesn't work is the sprocket cush drive.
I tried an impact wrench yesterday, but my 32mm socket is 12-pt and it started to slip. I might strip the bolt trying again with it so now Waiting on a 6-pt socket to arrive in a couple days and will try again. You think hitting it with some PB Blaster over night will help at all? I’m almost at my wits with this thing.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You should be OK with a 6 point, preferably an impact socket but they are expensive. A decent quality 6 point has always worked for me. That nut can be sooo tight from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should be OK with a 6 point, preferably an impact socket but they are expensive. A decent quality 6 point has always worked for me. That nut can be sooo tight from the factory.
Is there a lock washer on the 2015?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: I finally got it off. Not sure what did the trick as it could have been either using the correct size socket, hitting it with PB Blaster to sit overnight, the impact wrench breaking it loose, or utilizing a 30 inch breaker bar for increased leverage. Probably a combination of all of that. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Kvc25
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing