Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a bolt with a damaged skull on one of my front brake calipers, I've ordered a new bolt which hasn't arrived yet.

However I had planned to fit a new front tyre pretty pretty but I dont want to remove the damaged bolt before the spare one has arrived in case I can't remove it without damaging it more so I was wondering if anyone has tried and if it is possible to remove the front wheel with one of the brake calipers still mounted to the bike?

Bike is a 2016 R1.

BR
Peter

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Removing the wheel is the easy part. Lining up the rotor to slide it back into the calliper not so much.

It should be doable if you careful. Pushing the pads right back will help, especially if they are worn.

·
Unacceptable
1,241 Posts
If you pull out the axle you might be able to get away with unbolting the front brake rotor on the affected side.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
I've never taken the brake calipers off to remove the front wheel, it was no problem on my 07 anyway, just make sure not to pull the brake lever while the rotor is out of position.
Same here, I made a small pair of wooden wedges and as I take the wheel 1/2 out I stick the wedge half in the back bottom of the pads as a precaution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never taken the brake calipers off to remove the front wheel, it was no problem on my 07 anyway, just make sure not to pull the brake lever while the rotor is out of position.
Hmm, I've always removed the calipers since at least on my -16 it seems like the calipers get stucked on between the wheel and the rotor when trying to remove the wheel, but i'll give it a try again without removing them!

Hopefully I get the spare bolt soon so I don't have to be that careful with the bolt.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick answers, feels less hopeless now :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did I read this right that we can remove the front wheel w/o removing the calipers outta the way? I gotta give this a try!
In their dreams, I can't see this working on a 15+ as there just isn't the room (video evidence to the contrary and I'll believe it then).

I think you'd need to drop the forks out with the wheel still attached, then dismantle from there, I'd guess you'll need to unbolt the disk from the wheel then you'll be able to slide the disk out.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The OP asked if it could be done with one calliper in place. That could work, but I wouldn't think the wheel would come off with both callipers bolted on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts