Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
RaceTested/Championship Proven
13 Posts
So, how many of you guys that have purchased speedcells are running the 2.5ah on the street? I really wish they made a 6 cell... >:)
We have to these type of cells in set of 4 to achieve the correct voltage.

The 2.5 will work on a street 2015+ R1 just fine, just be conscious of the capacity. It will turn over the R1 just fine, just don't plan on leaving it with the keys/electronics on and sitting.

We do suggest a 5.0 Superbike battery for street use because the extra capacity is nice, but it requires a trim of the battery tray (on the 2015+ R1 only) because Yamaha outlined the OEM battery in plastic to keep it from moving.
The replacement tray to trim (we understand some street users wont want to trim their original) another tray is only ~$10 from Yamaha (2CR-8212C-00-00)
see: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2015 YZFR1M - YZFR1MF FENDER Diagram

The 5.0 Superbike battery fits in all 98-2014 Yamaha R1 in stock position without trimming.

Graves, Westby, SBU etc. all use 2.5 to start their R1's

Make sure to see SuperBike Unlimited and ask them about our Model Specific Kit harnesses too! These go straight to the ground on the motor case and straight to the starter relay! Deletes all the cheap wiring from the factory:nerd:

-American made OFC (oxygen free copper) high strand count copper wire,
-8ga construction.
-Improves current delivery by 27% due to reduced voltage drop.
-Replaces OEM tin & zinc stranded battery leads.
-One time install allows tool less coupling & de-coupling of Speedcell batteries.
-No exposed terminals or wire lead preventing contact shorting & reducing and or eliminating corrosion.
-Used by top professional teams to include YMUS, Graves, Westby, Latus, Yoshimura

Speedcell Legacy 5.0Ah Supersport Battery with Universal Ring Terminal Harness

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Fresh batch of 2.5AH batteries in!

We're now using the 2.5AH battery in every one of our team's R1 race bikes. Even in cold weather, they fire right up. PM us for a quote!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Placed an order for mine.

Original battery corroded and started to leak while on the tender over winter. Negative terminal fried.

Looking forward to installing this one
Classic name and avatar!:roll:

You'll love the battery, we are constantly impressed with both the battery and the tech inside.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got mine installed. Ended up squeezing it into the battery tray on its side, terminals facing the rear of the bike. Cleaned up the wiring and it fired right up. Loving the quick disconnects. Quality battery for sure. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
24,581 Posts
Received my speedcell... and will be installing it this weekend. :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
24,581 Posts
Ok, feeling a bit stupid right now? No mounting instructions came with the battery. So where exactly do the leads to quick connect go to? :dunno

·
Super Moderator
24,581 Posts
No worries I figured it out... Thanks for the support one2. :2bitchsla

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
No worries I figured it out... Thanks for the support one2. :2bitchsla
Glad you got it!

For the record, the leads go to the OEM battery terminals and are covered by the heat shrink tubing supplied. There are also optional bike-specific harnesses that replace the OEM battery terminals altogether. Those harnesses are $49.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts
Glad you got it!

For the record, the leads go to the OEM battery terminals and are covered by the heat shrink tubing supplied. There are also optional bike-specific harnesses that replace the OEM battery terminals altogether. Those harnesses are $49.
Get the harness!!! I love mine. :yea:

61 - 80 of 108 Posts