Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,581 Posts
I have the 5.0 and I've started mine 3 times now, this year, in the cold 45-55 and have no issues, starts right up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the longest period of time you can leave a Speedcell battery or other lithium battery connected in your bike before it will go dead. I read it should be disconnected for when not drove for extended periods of time. What is considered an extended period of time? I have a 2009 R1.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It really depends on the bike and potential add-ons or accessories. Some bikes have a considerable amount more parasitic drain than others. A week is ideal, 2 max is the best policy.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
We include proper velcro with each battery to you can cut it/secure how you see fit. The tray is only provided for the Supersport 2.5 (4-cell) in a 2015+ R1 application on request.

the 2.5 Supersport provides plenty of cranking power for a 2015+ R1 street or track (We suggest the 2.5 for the 2015 R1 street or track)

We get all of our cells from A123 systems, located in Michigan and we use only premium US partners to make our product. We only use the A Grade cells and hand select for for batch sorting. This ensures our batteries are only of the highest quality and ensure longevity.

Other makers use prismatic material like gel packs (found in cell phones and laptops), this is simply not appropriate to handle high amperage discharge events like starting a motorcycle its actually downright dangerous.

We have a charging unit that connects to the bayonet connector on top of the battery (JST-XHR is not appropriate for this application, its just the cheapest) our IP67 rated MIL connector pushes out water and debris when connected while also providing positive lock feeling.
The power supply itself is an industrial grade power supply (similar to high grade LiFe/Po chargers used in hobby RC racing) we 3rd party out(we make our connector and supply charging parameters

Superbike Unlimited has these chargers and other Speedcell genuine accessories available as well.

We suggest getting a charger if your running 2+ batteries, running a total-loss charging system, or are a dealer etc. Most consumers wont need these with proper care of the battery.

If you have a similar charger from RC racing or are in the IT industry etc and just want the leads/connectors and charging parameters (experienced users only) we can supply that alone as well.

No problem we are here to help. We stand behind our product 100% and we are here to support our valued customers and dealers.

we hope every R1 on this board runs a Speedcell:gengar:
Has anyone been able to get the proper charge leads/connectors and proper charge parameters for their speedcell battery as stated in this post above? I’ve message them and waited for a response several times finally gave up, and just yesterday decided to try again. I run they’re 8 cell 5ah battery In all of my bikes and love them but during the winter storage I’d prefer to have the proper leads to use my chargers. (Been into the RC hobby just as long as I’ve been riding this is ever since I can remember.) so of coarse I have my favorite charging equipment and would prefer to use mine as I know they are all calibrated to spec. My speedcell battery’s are fine I just want to know how well they are balanced during the off season so I can monitor for cell issues. I would just buy the charger they sell but already have better charge equipment. I also have been trying to find out what cells they are using now being A123 is no longer. I believe someone else has picked up where they left off but this I am not sure of. All I know is speedcell still advertises they use cylindrical cells which I have found far superior to prismatic in this type of application you want safe reliable cells and A123 are amazing cells.

Reactions: DarkHorse

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
Still waiting to hear back from them, all I want is to purchase their charge leads I actually already know the charge parameters being I’ve probably had over a hundred A123 lifepo4 cells in my time. Well not really but only because the darn things are bulletproof.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
update, speedcell has made contact and I believe are getting me taken care of. Each response is a week or so apart but we are making progress. Lol

101 - 108 of 108 Posts