Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike has the superbikeunlimited ECU flash, the ECU was sent in by the previous owner. I called superbikeunlimited to ask what the likelihood of them enabling the quickshift feature was before I ordered the quickshifter and the guy I spoke to said they enable it almost 100% of the time and if the quickshifter didn't work I likely installed it incorrectly. So I ordered and installed the shifter, put the pin in the 27 slot on the squarish ECU connector. Grounded it on a bolt near the front of the bike and tested continuity to the negative terminal on the battery with a multimeter to insure that I had a proper ground connection. I also tried it in push configuration and pull configuration to make sure I wasn't mistaking one for the other. All of the times I attempted quickshifting were above 5k RPM and I wasn't able to get the quickshift to work.

I'll happily provide photos or answer questions to help people better understand the issue and if I end up figuring out the issue I'll try to remember to post the solution here.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE
SOLUTION: I cut the ground wire in half to test continuity from the wire to the terminal connector and the terminal connector did NOT have continuity to the wire. Somehow during the manufacturing the terminal connector wasn't crimped properly to the wire. I cut off the connector that came with the quickshifter and crimped my own connector on and attached it to the negative battery terminal and now the bike quick shifts perfectly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, with the bike turned off disconnect the wire from the ecu and connect a meter to test continuity when moving the gear shifter, just to see if the shifter is working....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, with the bike turned off disconnect the wire from the ecu and connect a meter to test continuity when moving the gear shifter, just to see if the shifter is working....
I did a continuity test on the quick shifter and verified that it worked

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did a continuity test on the quick shifter and verified that it worked
I suppose all you can do is confirm with the ECU guys that it is the correct pin and try again, but maybe they didn't activate the QS mode on the ECU....
Let us know what happens ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose all you can do is confirm with the ECU guys that it is the correct pin and try again, but maybe they didn't activate the QS mode on the ECU....
Let us know what happens ..
I called and verified last night, they also said that they enable QS almost 100% of the time, I’m really at a loss

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check your clutch lever to see if there is an attachment or extension that will hit the clutch switch. If there's nothing to depress the clutch switch when the lever is at rest (not being pulled in), then you won't have quickshifting enabled because the bike always thinks you have the clutch pulled in and will disable the quickshifting. My buddy on a R6 switched out his levers and I spent months calling FTECU, doing continuity checks, etc. chasing that bitch down. I had him push the switch while pulling the clutch in and his bike killed itself when he shifted from first to second (normal function if you don't have the speed lockout enabled, quickshifter cuts fuel on upshifts).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your clutch lever to see if there is an attachment or extension that will hit the clutch switch. If there's nothing to depress the clutch switch when the lever is at rest (not being pulled in), then you won't have quickshifting enabled because the bike always thinks you have the clutch pulled in and will disable the quickshifting. My buddy on a R6 switched out his levers and I spent months calling FTECU, doing continuity checks, etc. chasing that bitch down. I had him push the switch while pulling the clutch in and his bike killed itself when he shifted from first to second (normal function if you don't have the speed lockout enabled, quickshifter cuts fuel on upshifts).
Hi! thanks for the response but I figured out what the issue was. I'll update the main post in a few minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts