Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
R1 n00b
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put out information on what I've learned in an as objective as possible way. I'm fully aware FTEcu is a USA-based company and these practices may be legal in some parts of the world, whereas in other parts they may be illegal so I'm not looking to discuss the legality nor morality of these issues. FWIW, in other words.

1) FTEcu claims to have lost access to their ticketing system; it's still online, no warning is displayed on their website and new tickets can be created but if you're unable to get a reply to your ticketing: that's why. Their sales e-mail address responds to support questions.

2) Having unlimited access to your ETV mapping is a 'race team' or 'pro' feature. This is undocumented and confirmed as being intended by FTEcu management, who are 'adamant' on having restrictions in place in favour of a more expensive unlimited tier. They claim it to be an 'obvious' safety feature and any argument regarding the undocumented nature of this is ignored or rejected as being a feature only a 'serious racer' would need. What it means is that trying to create a more-than-linear ETV map is not possible beyond some arbitrary values chosen by FTEcu, this applies to the entire ETV map (both acceleration and engine braking).

3) It is not documented what the 'race team' tier contains nor what a 'pro' file exactly is.

4) Requesting a free upgrade to whatever subscription tier gets to fully adjust the mapping after having purchased the basic package is rejected. Purchasing the next tier is required.

·
R1 n00b
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you just complaining? I don't see the point of this post.
Not complaining at all, in fact. That's why I've described the situation as objective and neutral as I could.
I've learned something that is not obvious by reading the vendor's documentation so I'm documenting that here for the members of this board (or Google users, for that matter) to find, if needed: don't expect to get full access to your ETV mapping when purchasing an FTEcu flashing kit as that requires an additional purchase of a next tier subscription/package.

·
99 R1
1,142 Posts
well, it's not like they advertise a product with features they don't have / support and then your ECU is bricked requiring the purchase of another ECU at an out of pocket cost of $900. Then they say that the owner will not give any type of $$$ back and they can't return the ECU to OEM stock.

Wait, that happened to me on my Honda CBR 1000 SP2.

* can't disable fuel cut
* can't raise red line
* some of the tables behind the scenes are not scaled correctly
* can't get rid of the Steering damper code
* and the ecu cannot be read by Honda for diagnostics anymore

then FTECU advertises much later that the honda program has bugs .... NICE

woolich is much better IMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not complaining at all, in fact. That's why I've described the situation as objective and neutral as I could.
I've learned something that is not obvious by reading the vendor's documentation so I'm documenting that here for the members of this board (or Google users, for that matter) to find, if needed: don't expect to get full access to your ETV mapping when purchasing an FTEcu flashing kit as that requires an additional purchase of a next tier subscription/package.
You have a right to bitch even if you arent. anyone who has purchased this crap has a right to. What youll get from some of these shills is always going to be partial to FT because they either are recieving something from them or they really have no understanding of what the impact of arbitrary limitations FT puts on their crap really are and know nothing about performance tuning. These are the ones who live that internet life as Gods in their own mind, and try to convince a forum that they are. unfortunately with a high degree of success unfortunately many of them. I will add in their defense, thatthe support guy that Ive dealt with, I think his name is Jason, has always been helpful and cool. However, the company at the ownership level, has long proven that they are void of ethical business behavior starting back when they bricked the gold bricks, then changed the company name to avoid some other collateral damage caused to customers. Life is on a wheel as they say though. It all goes back around eventually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts