Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone . I've just had running issues with my Trackbike . I've Taken fuel pump out . Got new fuel filter for it & just fitted it , I've noticed on the fuel pump I think it's the sensor to tell when fuel is low possibly. Light grey wire going to it has slight crack on its outer casing. Can anyone tell me if I could do away with this . Or is it not going to harm I'm thinking it's earth wire . Black one is a lot thicker see attached photo where the wire just comes past on the right side of the plastic hook, Level with the sensor cheers Dave

·
Silver Bullet...
460 Posts
I don’t believe you’ll run into any issues with it as is. Is the wire connection broken? Fuel has a very low conductivity rating, so it won’t hurt anything (you’ll notice all the submerged connectors have bare wiring inside). If the wire is broken you can solder it or replace it.
If you are concerned about the wiring touching anything, there are fuel safe glues/epoxies you could apply to cover it, or even fuel safe heat-shrink tubing. Just be sure you choose something that won’t break down and gum up the fuel system.

Reactions: gatenby.d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t believe you’ll run into any issues with it as is. Is the wire connection broken? Fuel has a very low conductivity rating, so it won’t hurt anything (you’ll notice all the submerged connectors have bare wiring inside). If the wire is broken you can solder it or replace it.
If you are concerned about the wiring touching anything, there are fuel safe glues/epoxies you could apply to cover it, or even fuel safe heat-shrink tubing. Just be sure you choose something that won’t break down and gum up the fuel system.
Thanks sliver bullet for your reply . Yeah I've put everything back together . And ran the bike .
But why I started looking for issues .
I had a back fire on track when testing & pulled in because it didn't seem to be running right. The bike stalled - wouldn't then run on tick over & there was oil leaking from top left area of the engine . So I have taken plugs out & found one damaged ( bent terminal) this was out of the far right cylinder . So I've check everything fuel filter air filter & new plugs put in . Then started it up still won't run on tick over & it s now burning oil a lot of blue smoke. Out the exhaust .
I took the new plugs back out to check them 3 x were black with soot & the far right problem cylinder where the bent plug came from , this plug was still looking brand-new no soot . So I'm going to have a indipendent Yamaha mechanic look at in about three weeks time 🙏👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
two coats of liquid tape

it would be interesting to see a pic of the fuel filter
Yeah thanks for that Tory . Yeah fuel filter was badly crapped up with paint flakes from the filler neck . Cleaned all old paint off & All sorted . & Bought a new fuel filter also 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts