Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· The R1 is finally here
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing I have been a little disappointed with is the lack of low end power on the new R1. Now hopefully it will pick up a little after break in. But after looking at the Akrapovic and Micron Full Exhaust systems and their dyno curves, I am thinking about getting a full exhaust. What I am wondering is will it really make THAT much difference in the low end? I mean under 5,000 there is really no power, and revving it up to 8,000 to do wheelies is just like my old R6 was. Does anyone think that a full exhaust system will give enough low end power to pull the front wheel up easier, and is it worth the money over a slip-on from the same companies? And does anyone know FOR SURE if with either of these systems that the header will need to be removed for regular services? Also, will a full system void any factory warranty? Sorry so many questions, but Ive only had slip-on exhausts before. Thanks in advance guys.

Will

· Until it sleeps
5,443 Posts
For the street a full system isnt needed. I actually like the slip-on better for the street. The 98-03 R1s have plenty of power from 1.5k-5k (normal street RPMs) However once u put on a full system youre power band starts get back to normal at like 3k or 3.5k, but doesnt really beat a slipon till higher up in the midrange. For the track u cant beat a full system. For the street u want as much low end torque as u can get, just makes it more comfortable and easier on the clutch since u dont have to slip it as much.

· The R1 is finally here
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sorry, I mean specifically for the 04's. Thats what I have read about the previous bikes, but they seem to have alot more low end power. What I am after is alot more power very low down in the RPMs. From the dyno curves from Akra though the full exhaust system curve has WAY more torque down low than their slip-on does. Can anyone comment on this relative to the 04's?

· pavement tester....
7,317 Posts
wcirksena said:

The one thing I have been a little disappointed with is the lack of low end power on the new R1.

I mean under 5,000 there is really no power

Will
Are you serious?????:confused:

· The R1 is finally here
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately yes I am. It really kicks hard around 7,000 and there is good power above 5,000 but there is not much power at all below that. You can see the dips in the dyno curves people have posted. Plus 1st gear will run up to 106MPH, not good for low end power. It is actually even hard to get moving in 1st because of the long 1st gear. Hopefully exhaust will help. Anyway, Im going to try and post a dyno graph for the Akra slip-on and the Akra full exhaust systems. Feel free to chime in as to whether it looks like its worth the extra money for the full system. I personally am looking for as MUCH LOW END TORQUE as possible.

Attachments

· The R1 is finally here
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And then here is the Full Race system. The low end torque gain to me looks very dramatic and might make it worth the money.

Attachments

· Blue is faster!
301 Posts
I debated somewhat of the same thing with the Akrapovic, but for $1,000 more (full system) I'll be very happy with my slip-on for $915! I'd rather spend the money on a custom map, however much that cost.

· The R1 is finally here
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I found a place that sells them for $2,000 and you get a free PCIII USB controller, so thats not too bad getting a $300 computer tuner free. If anyone had gotten the full exhaust please give your opinion on how it helps overall as well as specifically the low end. Thanks.

Will

· Until it sleeps
5,443 Posts
wcirksena said:
What I am after is alot more power very low down in the RPMs. From the dyno curves from Akra though the full exhaust system curve has WAY more torque down low than their slip-on does. Can anyone comment on this relative to the 04's?
U are looking for LOW end torque...as u can see from the pic the full akra system is already way down on the stock exhuast at 3k. Like i said before thats about where a full system starts to catch up to the stock system (as u can see in that pic, it catches up at 3400). Below 3k there is nothing and with the shorter stroke of the new R1 its guna be even worse.
In order to get LOW end torque u have to have back pressure, thats one of the reasons for the EXUP. A full system is designed for track use where u want as little back pressure as possible in order to acheive maximum HP
But I guess none of my information is relative to the 04R1's since they rnt an internal combustion engine:p

· Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The only time I ride in any of these ridiculously low RPM range that you guys brag about the "exup" making more power at. Is when i'm going 40mph in 6th gear! And I still roll on faster then a stock R1!

· Transmission Abuser.
1,573 Posts
Want more ooomph down low ? Go a tooth down in the front or up two on the rear. Should liven it up a lot, without breaking the bank...

JMHO.

· Team Hissho
62 Posts
Hey Will,

Have you ever considered gearing your bike? When I get my '04 I will put a full Titanium exhaust for more power and less weight, have a custom map made for the PCIIIusb AND I will gear it 3 teeth up on the rear sprocket to compensate for the lack of low end. This way you can have power everywhere. I myself do not like having to rev a bike up to 6,000RPM just to get "low end torque". A big bore bike like a 1000cc should have power from the bottom of the RPM range. That's why I plan on gearing my bike, I mean think about it...do you really need a first gear that goes to 106mph??? Or a top speed of 185mph?? By gearing your bike you will LOSE some of that top speed but you will USE more of the low speed torque. Besides the top speed loss from gearing your bike 2 or 3 teeth up isn't dramatic enough to cause worry. Oh and I would advise against dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. I know this is a cheaper fix and many have done this but what most people don't realize is that when you drop a tooth on the front sprocket it puts more of a strain on the chain because it has to wrap around an even tighter circumference than it did before so just change the REAR sprocket...one tooth less in the front sprocket is about the same as 3 teeth up on the rear sprocket. Hope this helps! :hellobye

· The R1 is finally here
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Diablo and everyone for the info. Sounds like the best solution and the cheapest might be to go with a slip-on and go down three teeth in the rear as you said Diablo. I could care less about doing 106 in first gear. I just want my bike to be able to pull up the front wheel like I think a 1000cc bike should be able to. Does anyone know where to get something that will recalibrate the Speedo to accomodate for the change in gearing? Thanks for all the info.

Will C.

· I admit I have a large shween
146 Posts
the orginal generation r1s had shorter gearing in 1st making them wheelie kings...00 versions had higher gearing but still plenty of ooomph (I can pick my r1 up pretty much anywhere in first, bounce my stock 00 R1 in second gear) ....sounds like the new R1 has more of an R6 powerband (probably in the name of trying to win the horsepower game)

cheapest way to make torque is to lower the gearring....15 tooth and add a few at the rear for good measure

· Registered
1,774 Posts
The only time I ride in any of these ridiculously low RPM range that you guys brag about the "exup" making more power at. Is when i'm going 40mph in 6th gear!
:bs
The exup makes a HUGE difference round 4000rpm, don't tell stories just to talk. If you don't have facts to tell, then please just don't write!
I had the exup blocked on my 02 R1 and the impact was dramatic. I immediately noticed that something was wrong.
The new R1 seems to suffer more from the long first gear than from actual lack of low end torque (also there is less than on former R1's)

· For the Love of.........Riding
6,699 Posts
Juerg said:
:bs
The exup makes a HUGE difference round 4000rpm, don't tell stories just to talk. If you don't have facts to tell, then please just don't write!
I had the exup blocked on my 02 R1 and the impact was dramatic. I immediately noticed that something was wrong.
The new R1 seems to suffer more from the long first gear than from actual lack of low end torque (also there is less than on former R1's)

Every dyno I've seen for the Arata on the 02-03 shows a gain by 3k. I loved the low-end of the stock exup so much it stayed on til 8k miles but found I never missed it after the full system with a good map. I was the type of guy who never wanted to lose that low-end torque . I can't say I really felt a lose to the point I'm looking for more down low. Your gone past that so quick its not funny. Kinda like the 7k dip on the 04 . 15,000+ miles now

Attachments

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Sure, a race system and remapping and possibly also some adjustment at the airbox can compensate for the loss of Exup, yet at costs of much higher noise levels.
At the end of the day, that was the reason for Yamaha to introduce the Exup: Lots of low end torque without (illegal in many countries) noise.

· Premium Member
9,465 Posts
And my R1 which went from a stock pipe to slipon to full akrapovic yielded the same results as 02R1Guy.

That low, low end feel, is because by the time you get to 7 grand you're usually making 8 or so more HP. Which over comes the loss of 1-2hp below 3k!

I use to fall victim to silly Marketing hype and not want to lose this. Truth it. I'm glad it's gone because its just another thing to go wrong with an electronic motor/cables/and a valve.

· Until it sleeps
5,443 Posts
Corny said:
That low, low end feel, is because by the time you get to 7 grand you're usually making 8 or so more HP. Which over comes the loss of 1-2hp below 3k!
well from looking at the dyno chart above, they lost 10hp (20ft.lbs of torque) @ 2600rpms which is a 40% loss. Thats the same as the new R1s dyno'ing out at 96hp instead of 160hp. Once u put it in that perspective that loss down low seems quite big IMO?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.