Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a full Graves system. I know I am going with the BMC race filter and PCIII. Are the velocity stacks worth it, someone has said that it is hard to tune with them on.

I planned on getting a map online, and then fine tuning it next spring on a dyno. Is this allright to do?

Also any heads up tuners that sell spot on maps will be appreciated.

SmokeU, you still around. I live in DC so I might take the drive out and have you do a special one for me. What ya gonna charge a brother with a drive? hahaha

·
Registered
152 Posts
I recently installed my full Graves, PCIII w/ custom map and Factory Pro velocity stacks. I definitely like this setup and gained 20 HP in the midrange at 7K RPM. I understand the Graves V stacks are designed for more HP in the top end and Factory Pro moreso for the midrange so it's a tradeoff. Either way, you can get close with the PC map for a Graves full system. To optimize this, however get your bike on the dyno.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I am planning on doing. There is a guy on ebay that sells the PCIII's with custom maps installed (nice touch) just tell him what you have and it come ready to rock. I figure this will get me close and the rest can be solved by the dyno when I get on it later in the winter or early spring.

So I will go with the Pro stacks and BMC race filter and Full Graves and hold on. Hahaha, thanks for the help fellas.

·
Banned
579 Posts
well

Anyone can get on a website and sell "custom maps" with their PC's, coz the thing with mapping is, what suits one bike with one set of mods, might not be right for another with the same mods. Once you use a map done for another bike, it is no longer a custom map and it may be close, it may not. Just guess work without dynoing your bike. EG: I mapped 2 GSXR1000's last year, same day, same systems. Same bikes basically. Both ended up with the same h.p. BUT where one bike needed 25 point of fuel removed at a point, the other only needed 5 at the same point. Just so you know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
nwrob said:
I recently installed my full Graves, PCIII w/ custom map and Factory Pro velocity stacks. I definitely like this setup and gained 20 HP in the midrange at 7K RPM. I understand the Graves V stacks are designed for more HP in the top end and Factory Pro moreso for the midrange so it's a tradeoff. Either way, you can get close with the PC map for a Graves full system. To optimize this, however get your bike on the dyno.

+ 1, it crazy to spend all that money and get cheap by not dyno tuning it . JMO

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am putting it on the dyno, thanks for the replies. I want to get it close and then as soon as the weather breaks get it tuned right on the dyno.

I got the exhaust today, man that thing is light. Went there and the guy threw in the velocity stacks for $100. CHEAP. So I spent $1350 for the full graves and stacks.

Good deal, only thing left is to get the BMC, put it all on and then get the PCIII and ride her to the dyno once the sun comes out in DC (it has rained for 6 out of 7 days).

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will do, I am really impressed how light the exhaust is, hopefully the power will impress me too.

I'll keep ya updated

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the exhaust on, with no springs, fits good, header was a bit of a pain but I did not remove everything I was supposed to. Here's my question.

Is there an easy way to spread those damn springs in order to finish up? They are killer, is there a special too?

Thanks,

·
Professional Crack Smoker
65 Posts
blowngt said:
Is there an easy way to spread those damn springs in order to finish up? They are killer, is there a special too?
Thanks,
Yes, you need a tool called a.......Spring Puller Tool!! Motion Pro makes a nice one, should be availabe at any bike shop.

Text from MotionPro website
Used to remove exhaust pipe springs, seat or tank holding springs, cotter pins, side stand springs and other parts. Our standard, less expensive, spring hook tool is also available. See your dealer. Made in the U.S.A.
Standard - 08-0065 $9.50
Heavy Duty - 08-0127 $12.50

·
SATISFIED ENZYTE USER
939 Posts
Do you have any updates to add concerning this project?

I'm not sure if I want to use the graves v-stacks or the factory-pro's version as of right now. If I was to use the factory-pro's v-stacks, do i need to remap? or are they similar to graves where I don't need to remap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.