Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here wear full leathers while street riding? Im trying to figure out the best way to approach track day apparel.
I KNOW I need a jacket as i dont have one yet, Id like to get a one piece suit
but cant afford a jacket and a one piece for track days. SO im wondering if makes sense to get a jacket like the AGV Viper?
and a set of pants that i can attatch later for track days. I don't want to look like a power ranger on the street and this is one of the few all black jackets made for crashing 1.5mm leather, armour etc.
Any tips peeps?? ??

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Most tracks will allow you to use a 2 piece suit so I would go that route since it looks like it may be the best for you. There is always the option of renting leather :)

What I did was get a jacket since I was not going to the track anytime soon... I then bought my 1 piece suit. I spent $350 on my teknic jacket and $800 on my Joe Roacket SpeedMaster

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
NEPAR1 said:
Anyone here wear full leathers while street riding?
I don't want to look like a power ranger on the street and this is one of the few all black jackets made for crashing 1.5mm leather, armour etc.
Any tips peeps?? ??
Yes!! always. If looking like a power ranger turns you off how would you feel (literally) about looking like a walking scab with pus oozing from your open wounds after a good slide on the asphalt????? my sense tells me you'd prefer looking like a PR yes??

BD

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
What?? You don't want to look like a power ranger?? Why not??

Just kidding!!!! I were my leathers almost all the time with my SIDI boots regardless..

"BE PREPARED" they taught me in scouts when I was a kid...

I've ridden with enough people that went down hard, and got up, and brushed themselves off, got back on and rode home because of leathers.. Proof enough for me..:thumbup

·
Dude this would be the life...
427 Posts
See now i don't agree with that I know i don't have the heavy traffic like some of you guys ride in but full leathers come on. I wear Helmet, gloves, leather jacket and only jeans and a pair of shoes. Now the shoes part i'm working on so if anybody knows where to buy street riding boots not track boots let me know. Besides the shoes part i believe i'm ready for riding on the street with the proper appearl. So no i don't think riding with full leathers are right for the streets here in Montana but maybe in more heavy populated areas and definently in the twistys. Take care all and atleast wear some gear out there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've gone either way.. I have a two piece JoeRocket highside suit and I wear the jacket when running to work etc . If I'm going to be doing some intense ridding I'll go all out. I dont really care what people think . I like the full leathers and the safety of full gear. Bottom line wear what you want but I've never had anyone who went down say "Man ... I was just wearing to much gear!"

Ride safe

Band02r1

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Mr.brett said:
See now i don't agree with that I know i don't have the heavy traffic like some of you guys ride in but full leathers come on. I wear Helmet, gloves, leather jacket and only jeans and a pair of shoes. Now the shoes part i'm working on so if anybody knows where to buy street riding boots not track boots let me know. Besides the shoes part i believe i'm ready for riding on the street with the proper appearl. So no i don't think riding with full leathers are right for the streets here in Montana but maybe in more heavy populated areas and definently in the twistys. Take care all and atleast wear some gear out there.
lets see, a blown tire, a chain that breaks or jumps the sprocket, an unseen patch of gravel, sand, or antifreeze, an animal, a rider error, an obstacle in the road, any and all of which can and will happen at some point while street riding. some of these hazards we avoid, some we don't. dress for the fall, NOT the ride. i have a 3 inch scar on both my knees from riding in jeans only. just happened to go down that day. now i don't ride without either bohn body armour under my jeans or full leathers. a wise man learns from anothers mistakes, a fool learns for himself.

·
Ride till the day I die
548 Posts
i ride with my 1pc suit on the street most of the time..
Yes!! always. If looking like a power ranger turns you off how would you feel (literally) about looking like a walking scab with pus oozing from your open wounds after a good slide on the asphalt????? my sense tells me you'd prefer looking like a PR yes??
:iamwithst

·
uh-huh
59 Posts
i have been just wearing a jacket, gloves, helment also. the 98 degree summer in florida and a full suit might spell heatstroke at an intersection or bump to bump traffic. getting a suit for our 90 day fall/winter though.

·
Life's good with the right ONE
111 Posts
I ride with full leathers all the time. Especially better when you have little or no traffic situation. No traffic = more opportunity for higher speeds, couple that with all the unknowns=big ouch.
As previously stated dress for the fall,not the ride. My .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
All i can say is : www.aerostich.com Amazing stuff. I'm on my second one. ( Their one gray looks great with my silver 03) First one lasted me just under 10 years. Get a one piece & forget about anything else for ANY street riding.Your in or out of it in seconds & totaly protected ( go for the optional spine protector) FUll Leathers for track days.
Happy Ridding :)

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
devikw said:
All i can say is : www.aerostich.com Amazing stuff. I'm on my second one. ( Their one gray looks great with my silver 03) First one lasted me just under 10 years. Get a one piece & forget about anything else for ANY street riding.Your in or out of it in seconds & totaly protected ( go for the optional spine protector) FUll Leathers for track days.
Happy Ridding :)
Welcome newbie..:scared

BD

·
Mass
1,013 Posts
How can you own a bike and not own full leathers??

You have to get full leathers. I'll only wear my jacket on commute days, but if i'm doign any type of real riding the suit goes on.

·
Protected By GLOCK
759 Posts
I own an A-stars jacket now and it is hotter that a biatch in the summer, I am going to order a two piece fully perfed suit from Syed leathers this winter, so I can start draggin knee

·
My Screw is lOOse!
724 Posts
welp, I agree with most of you... however, the money situation is a little short.. Im taking used or donated pants/full leathers..

I have a Joe Rocket Jacket, and nice set of gloves..

thats all i have to say about tha-At :beer

1 - 20 of 70 Posts