Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am getting ready to put the engine back together. When I go to put the gaskets on the engine covers, do I need glue or gasket cement? And the last time I replaced the head gasket I didnt use any, was I suppossed to? When I put the crank shaft position sensor back in, do I need to use the yamabond crap where it sits in the case, or can I get some stuff from napa and use it? I couldnt get all the gasket crap off the head with gasket remover, how can I get that residue off without scratching the head surface? The last time I took it off it was much easier. And what is the reason for using a thinner head gasket? Should I put one on while i have the head off?

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
If the surface is clean of any remaining debris,no gasket sealer is required on the covers...maybe on the right side where the wiring comes out of the casing,but that is it.

If you used a new valve cover gasket,you dont really need to put that there too...maybe for peace of mind,you could do it.

The napa stuff is ok,as long as it dries quickly.

A razor blade,used carefully for not shaving any metal off the head,is the tool of choice.

A thinner head gasket is used to raise the compression for more midrange power;the cams would need to be re-degreed though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts