Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the gear position sensor does other than indicate what gear on the display and neutral light ???

Will it have an effect on Ecu fuel mapping or anything like that ???

Mine is faulty Iv ordered a new one but I have noticed the bike is running slightly hot since it has failed. Cooling system is fine new rad cap engine ice, no leaks.
Thanks for any feedback

· Premium Member
641 Posts
What year R1 is it...I'm not sure what all it does but the flash tune software has maps for each gear for ignition, ETV, and one or two other things so the ECU uses it, not sure stock if there are any mapping differences per gear or if they are all the same. There however is no fuel option per gear. If you have an ECU based QS it also wont allow you to quick shift into 7th LoL.

· R1 Forum Star
16,242 Posts
What year R1 is it...I'm not sure what all it does but the flash tune software has maps for each gear for ignition, ETV, and one or two other things so the ECU uses it, not sure stock if there are any mapping differences per gear or if they are all the same. There however is no fuel option per gear. If you have an ECU based QS it also wont allow you to quick shift into 7th LoL.
No the ECU does not use it the gear position sensor...the ECU gets the neutral wire only which is it's own sensor/connector right next to the Gear position sensor :fact

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,149 Posts
:iamwithst...if you don't run the neutral wire to the ECU (or at least give it the right signal to make it think it is not in gear), it will think the bike is in neutral and shut down the engine after 20 or 30 minutes...

The ECU determines gear by the ratio of speed to RPM...so whenever you pull the clutch in, the ECU defaults to the neutral map.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone think this could have an effect on running temp of the engine.
It runs about 8-10 deg hotter than it normally does.
I'm going to replace the thermostat today but suspect it isn't the thermostat that's causing my heat problem.
I was thinking it could be gear pos sensor telling ecu it's not playing anymore.

11,149 Posts
None...it is either your riding habits have changed or something in the cooling system or the weather. Do you have a bunch of bent fins in the radiator? Have you rinsed out all the bugs/grime/rubber from it lately? Is the system fully topped up with fluid? When was the least time you changed the coolant?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Radiator looks like new no bent fins will give it a clean anyway.
Coolant changed twice once with normal coolant 2nd time engine ice no difference.

Radiator cap is new.

Thermostat opens checked at Yamaha dealer said it opens but didn't measure how much it opens but it does open.

Water looks to be flowing good through the radiator

At 100kph it fluctuates between 70c and 75c it used to sit 72 on the dot.
As soon as I slow to 80kph with no traffic still on the highway it go's straight to 80c then takes 10 mins to get back down to 75c when I get back to 100kph.

It's seems like short hard bursts on the gas cools it very quick too.

It's just out of wack about 5-10 degrees c

But riding in traffic it will eventually get to 115c and iv never had a problem before it's weird
Has Yamaha dealer stumped too

11,149 Posts
The fans kick on when the ECU is stock at like 220F...or 100C....which is totally normal to see in traffic. Those temps are totally normal to by eye....Nothing is wrong with your bike...240F is a bit warm, but I have flashed my ECU to kick the fans on at 205 F So it never really gets above that.

Do your fans kick on above 90-100C?

11,149 Posts
Sounds like air in the system...or hot weather...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.