Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellow forum brothers. Thanks for taking a peek. I got jealous of @Focused_Veteran ’s racing thread that I ended up with some FOMO and decided to start my own.

I started track riding in 2012 after roughly four or five crashes on my 2009 R1 on the street. Originally my first track day was with the r1-forum at one of the coveted R1-Forum track days. Man that set off an addiction of riding that changed how I viewed motorcycles and what being “fast” was all about. I would spend the next few years doing whatever I could to becoming a fast “trackday” rider and taking the plunge into racing. I quickly learned that being the fastest guy at the typical trackday turned into being the slowest guy at a race weekend. I ended up totaling the first R1 and making the switch to a R6 to take a swing on that.

I gave the R6 a solid two years of riding and realized I was not skilled enough to ride that bike fast and got extremely frustrated. I sold the R6 and walked away from motorcycles for a few years, thinking muscle cars would feed my itch.

I didn’t keep many pictures of my older bikes, but here’s a couple.

My 2009 R1
Wheel Tire Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

My 2008 R6
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Cloud Sky

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After crashing the R1 and breaking my foot, I turned to cars and did a cam swap in a 2014 Camaro SS. The car was fun, I ended up doing a few more things to the car but it never really scratched the itch of speed. That plus having almost been arrested multiple times for street racing; I ended up selling the car to purchase a new 2015 R1.

My 2015 was a score of a purchase. I bought it new off the showroom floor in 2017 with 3mi on it. Followed the factory break-in method for 600mi on the street (just riding back and forth to work and some weekend rides). I had every intention of turning this bike into a trackday bike, but still wasnt planning on committing to racing.

Camaro:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

A little after break-in:
Sky Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn’t long after break-in was completed that I was back to track riding at my local favorite track Jennings GP. I ran into someone that would become a good friend of mine, who convinced me to try racing again.

Remember my previous racing experience was bad because my two races resulted in two crashes. 🤣 John was reluctant and I made the decision to just try racing again. The previous org I was racing with had dissolved away and this new org called FMRRA (Florida Motorcycle Road Racing Association) was available and actually “affordable." This org was different because they actually had qualifying, which is by far my favorite thing about this org. Actually having a Q session and setting grids really feels like I’m in actual racing and not just a track day.

When I got there I had one goal in mind: Forget trying to push into a racing situation, I was treating it like I was going to just “have fun.” It worked. I started the race weekend at a track that I had never been to before, qualified 12th place, and finished the race in 12th place. The weekend was a success technically but what I learned was that I wanted to actually complete and not just finish a race for the sake of finishing one.

track trim:

Wheel Tire Helmet Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First back to racing race weekend was a little different because life had changed. My daughter was born, and my competitive itch wasn’t as strong as it used to be because I had to keep in the back of my mind that I was the provider for my family. It was really easy to just leisurely go out and putz around the track, taking it easy in qualifying and racing.

At Roebling Road Raceway I qualified 12th place with a blistering lap time of 1:22:xx. Finished the race 12th but it was my first race I actually finished and saw a checkered flag. Amazing! It felt good but I immediately felt lacking because I left so much riding on the table. I held back so much that the satisfying feeling left before I parked the bike in the pit.

some video of Roebling:

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the weekend was over I decided I wanted to try and gather as much knowledge and understanding of what racing was all about, so I could ride faster, compete, and still have some form of safety. I attended a racing school, got linked up with a local shop, and hit the books with research about suspension and racing.

I learned a lot over time but I wasn’t expecting the opportunity to get connected with a MotoAmerica team and shop through a very good friend of mine. working with a professional team totally changed how I broke down racing and understanding of what a bike was doing, how to make adjustments, and how I wanted to progress my racing program.

My first race helping Schwags was at Indy a few years ago. Since that point I aided Jonathan with a few stabs at Daytona for the 200, Road America, Barber, and some other rounds.

Back to my racing, the 2022 season was the first season I decided to commit to a full season. My first round was West Palm Beach, at PBIR. I competed in two races, stock1000 sprint and Grande Corse. I finished 3rd in the 12lap grande and 2nd in the sprint. Note that I’m still an amateur at this point, and I get pretty good. We have some big named guys racing our series and I typically ignore my amateur standings and focus on my times vs the experts. My goal for this season was to podium, even if it was third place, I just wanted to stand on the box. The 2nd place was a surprise, but at this point I no longer look to the amateur results. I want to place overall on the podium, but that means dicing it up with guys at MotoAmerica caliber. I’ve got some growing to do speed wise, but I’ve been getting faster each weekend.

It was really special standing on the box with my daughter in hand:
Sky Cloud World Tree Font

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to make round two at PBIR again, and ended up getting two 4th place finishes. I had a rough weekend, bike problems, glazed the brake pads in qualifying, had a fairing fly off mid race, and issues for the afternoon sprint. I couldn’t get out of the paddock fast enough that weekend, just super frustrating. A friend of mine decided to join the season racing and he’s cleaning up our class every single weekend. I don’t think he hasn’t finished first in a race, and this particular race weekend he set an amateur lap record. Thankfully he is someone who’s pushed me to get better, and it’s helped.

Round three was at Homestead in Miami, but due to prior commitments I missed the round.

Round four I was super excited for, another new track CMP. CMP would be the second biggest track I have been to besides Daytona, but anyone who’s ridden at Daytona knows the actual track is kind of pathetic due to it being only a few corners and a bunch of time on the banking. The other thing CMP had to offer that I haven’t really experienced was elevation!! I went into the round pumped and ready.

Get on track on Saturday for practice and man I struggled to get a line, get reference points, and find brake markers. I had a massive headshake that almost threw me to the moon. Another issue I had I didn’t realize At first but after each session I was just suuuper tired. I couldn’t explain it, but I was cooked. Barely finished Saturday and was in bed early. Then Saturday night/Sunday it hit me… Covid. Missed all of Sunday, unfortunately. I had an opportunity at another podium, I had a decent qualifying event though I really struggled to figure the track out. Never left the trailer Sunday until it was time to pack up and leave.

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shrugged PBIR off and moved on to the next round. Made a few changes to the geometry, added some spring; added some wheel base after talking with quite a few other racers, and Rodem engineering. The times I spent at the MotoA rounds I picked the brains of some racers, some teams, Ohlins, and many more. Got a pretty good baseline and packed up for redemption at Roebling.

It’s race weekend and all is well. A few of the guys decided to do a Friday trackday, I opted out of the track day and planned to focus the practice and qualifying. My plan worked and I started chewing second every session, getting down to 1:15x. Qualifying came, I traded out to a set of medium tires because the softs were tearing like mad due to the new track surface.

qualifying starts, I’m on fresh tires, full of confidence and I went out the gate ripping. Second lap I was leading everything and on the third lap disaster happens. I went into turn 4 way too hot, blew the corner but still tried to make it. Too much brake, too much lean, ran outta talent. Lost the front; slid off track, and me and the bike took a few tumbles.

as the day progressed I was finding time all throughout the track, but dissecting it back after the crash I think I was pretty much at limit in turn 4. I was trying to find time all the track because I was really close to the experts, but I should have looked for it in other corners and not 4.

Either way I waded the bike up pretty good, enough that my spares wouldn’t have gotten the bike up and running. Further, I found out later that afternoon/evening from the ER visit that I had some broken bones and a contusion in the left knee. My weekend was done, second race weekend in a row I missed all my races.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back to the drawing board and it’s time to rebuild the bike. I threw a list of parts needed to get it rolling again and hopefully salvage my season. I was third in SSK1000 for points, but the two missed races have hurt me pretty substantially in the championship.

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wanted to separate this post from the others because I don’t want this to get lost in all the text.

I wouldn’t have been able to get my bike together without:

We have some seriously amazing forum brothers here on the R1-Forum. I have to give a huge shoutout to @dcase4246 and @[email protected]@alltimes. These are absolutely amazing, stand up gentleman. Donnie you are my brother dude, seriously I can’t say how thankful I am for you and the blessing you are.
Rubes my dudes… same. I can’t say enough good things about you and can’t wait for us to link up and ride together one day, soon.

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had some time this week to get things cleaned, brackets straightened, parts coming in (all the cheap stuff is finally showing up). I still need all the hand controls, new brake lines, a seat pan (looking at armor bodies or Shark for the removable seat), throttle housing, clip-ons, grips, a seat battery bracket, and to finish the graphics.

Because of some awesome dude, the bodywork came painted and I am sticking with the color scheme to honor him (plus a surprise he can’t see yet).

The bike as of today:

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

current list of mods - bike has been built collectively over the last two years:

Shock - Ohlins YA416 -
Forks - Ohlins NIX30 -
Woodcraft case covers -
Brembo brake master -
Core moto lines -
Fast franks captive rear caliper -
Braking rear rotor -
Woodcraft Clipons -
Zeta brake lever guard -
Bonimici clutch lever -
Race Bodywork -
Apex Button Pods -
TightTails Subframe -
MotoHolders Fairing stay -
ECU flash -
ABS Delete -
90° Valve stems -
Smog Plates -
Mirror block off plates -
Titanium hardware -
Driven rearsets -
Graphics -
Hindle Exhaust -
Vortex Gas cap -
Stomp grip -
R&G radiator guard -
Driven trinkets (oil cap, plug, etc) -
Samco Hose Kit -
Domino grips -
Captive wheel spacers -
Woodcraft keyless -
SBS brake pads -
AntiGravity Battery -
Superbike lifters -
Chain / Sprockets -
Remote brake adjuster -
X2 lap timer -
HSBK Tank Shroud -
Domino Throttle -

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can’t finish mounting the upper until I get the intake boot fitted, so it’s just kind of sitting there for now. Also waiting for the radiator bracket that holds the rectifier and wires, so I can get the upper completely mounted. Waiting on parts that apparently are back ordered for who knows when…

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,123 Posts
I can’t finish mounting the upper until I get the intake boot fitted, so it’s just kind of sitting there for now. Also waiting for the radiator bracket that holds the rectifier and wires, so I can get the upper completely mounted. Waiting on parts that apparently are back ordered for who knows when…
When I needed brackets for the 4c8 they were on backorder from partzilla. I fully expected a 90 day lead time. They were shipped 3 weeks after I ordered them and showed up on week 4. Hopefully your experience is similar.

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I needed brackets for the 4c8 they were on backorder from partzilla. I fully expected a 90 day lead time. They were shipped 3 weeks after I ordered them and showed up on week 4. Hopefully your experience is similar.
I’ve ordered a few things from them the past few weeks including engine bolts and brackets. Everything has showed up except the bracket. I want to permanently mount the nose but that’s holding me up. Everything else has arrived pretty quickly. I’m always happy with PZ

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I wanted to separate this post from the others because I don’t want this to get lost in all the text.

We have some seriously amazing forum brothers here on the R1-Forum. I have to give a huge shoutout to @dcase4246 and @[email protected]@alltimes. These are absolutely amazing, stand up gentleman. Donnie you are my brother dude, seriously I can’t say how thankful I am for you and the blessing you are.
Rubes my dudes… same. I can’t say enough good things about you and can’t wait for us to link up and ride together one day, soon.
Thanks for the shout out brother. Looking forward to the day we can hook up and ride together! ✊

·
Registered
2017 R1 Two Clicks Out Racing/RRPS Race Bike
191 Posts
This thread makes me extremely happy bud! You've done extremely well and it makes for very interesting reading, the challenges you've faced mirror my own, there's some comfort to be found in that for me.
It's truly the most addictive thing I've ever done, I absolutely love it.
I shall check in on you when you update buddy.

All the best (y)

·
amazed....
2006 Yamaha R1 LE #244
698 Posts
Gearhead,

This post makes my heart smile. I love the fact that you keep getting up (literally) and pushing forward. Chasing your passions and dreams are so very important. The focus and determination it takes to stay with something that, at times, kicks our asses is a testament to you as a person and gives us a glimpse inside you and your personality. I hope that you get that beast rebuilt and get back out there. I have found on this forum (from time to time) people at will help pick you up and push you forward. While I have no experience with anything newer that 2006 I CAN provide words of encouragement. Stay focused, you got this!

Best wishes,

Tim

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread makes me extremely happy bud! You've done extremely well and it makes for very interesting reading, the challenges you've faced mirror my own, there's some comfort to be found in that for me.
It's truly the most addictive thing I've ever done, I absolutely love it.
I shall check in on you when you update buddy.

All the best (y)
I appreciate the kind words my man. The more I pick apart the crash the more I get frustrated with myself because I had a decent showing and I felt like all the gears were synced up and I was at my best. Problem is I was at my limit and since I don’t have years of experience there, I couldn’t manage when the emergency happened. Alas, it’s a learning process, and I’ll do everything in my power to be better next time out.

thanks!

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gearhead,

This post makes my heart smile. I love the fact that you keep getting up (literally) and pushing forward. Chasing your passions and dreams are so very important. The focus and determination it takes to stay with something that, at times, kicks our asses is a testament to you as a person and gives us a glimpse inside you and your personality. I hope that you get that beast rebuilt and get back out there. I have found on this forum (from time to time) people at will help pick you up and push you forward. While I have no experience with anything newer that 2006 I CAN provide words of encouragement. Stay focused, you got this!

Best wishes,

Tim
I appreciate the kind words Tim. I can absolutely agree the guys on the forum are spectacular at building each other up and moving forward collectively. The is for sure the best forum on the internet.

I am definitely focused and appreciate the encouragement. I have one small detail to figure out for the nose fairing and then Friday I go up to get my fluids, brake lines, and new clip-ons to finish putting the bike back to race ready. Super excited to have her moving again.

thanks again Tim
Chris

1 - 20 of 63 Posts