Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey r1curt, sorry for the overdue response. If you're referring to my original post, the answer is yes, I replaced both inner and outer bearings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently replaced my generator cover because it was damaged and started leaking. Before I took it apart, the bike ran fine and did not make any noise. I pulled the generator completely apart, lubed everything, and installed the new cover. I did not replace the inner or outer bearing. Today I tried to start the bike after it has sat for 2 months. When it fired up, I heard this loud whine, which seemed to come from the generator cover area. It sounded like the typical Yamaha whine but very loud and isolated. it got really loud as the bike ran and then the bike stalled as if the engine locked up... I can turn the engine over by hand until it gets to the compression stroke, which tells me it is not locked up. The starter will push it to it too then is stuck. However, for some reason the starter went out too. It took quite a while for me to start it. . The starter has died for some reason. Any idea on what went bad? All the bearings seem to be okay. It was dark, the bike only ran for a minute, and that cover was hot... Did yours do this too?

·
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My bearing failed after repairing the head. I never had the cover off, it was a case of pure coincidence. But I saw your other post and can't help thinking when you had all the stuff apart that maybe you reinstalled the starter clutch backwards. The bearing in it is a one way bearing and freewheels when not being turned by the starter motor. If installed backwards, the engine can over speed the starter motor and burn it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dude... That makes too much sense but it has to be a coincidence ..... As the bike ran, it ran like crap but then it started to clean up and idle normal that's when this sound of a whirling gear or a turbo became present. It sounded like the typical Yamaha whirl but amplified and I immediately started to trouble shoot the general area for what I was hearing as a bearing dying..I didn't mess with the bearing but as I was matching up I could help but think that as the engine turned the gear must be turning which would run the starter. That would suggest why it slowly stalled and why the starter was full of destroyed brushes and other junk... How did that happen? Now you got me doubting myself and I have the shop manual to-boot... SO, you're saying that there's a chance that I got this backwards and the engine was running the starter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also thinking that since I did not have the bearing carrier straight and the bearing itself fully pressed it that the gear could not freewheel because of the pressure from the rotor that it did spin the starter and cause that damage which may have bogged the engine down and killed it. Dude. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
SO, you're saying that there's a chance that I got this backwards and the engine was running the starter?
Yes, there is a high probablility that is what happened. The starter clutch is geared to allow the relatively small starter motor to turn the crank to start the engine against compression forces. But if that starter clutch can not free wheel, the engine then spins the starter motor at a much higher ratio and of course destroys the starter motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pulled everything apart and I didn't do that. I'm thinking that I pressed the bearing carrier and bearing in too shallow and when I installed that cover it forced the two gears together and wouldn't allow it to 'freewheel.' That is evident from the

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay guys I'm having the same issue with an 07 well sort of the same issue my stator failed am I rotor failed put magnets all over my s*** I cleaned it all up now when I put it in it makes almost like a knocking noise and it's not coming from the motor it's coming from the stator case itself has anyone ever experienced this maybe I installed the bearings backwards or not flush I don't know I've done this and rebuilt this thing probably 30 times I cannot figure it out please any information will help me I have replaced the stator rotor and bearings thank you

·
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There is a bearing in the starter gear that is directional and it is very easy to install backwards. That may be your issue. But if the knock continues, it could very well be you have crank shaft bearing or journal damage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay guys I'm having the same issue with an 07 well sort of the same issue my stator failed am I rotor failed put magnets all over my s*** I cleaned it all up now when I put it in it makes almost like a knocking noise and it's not coming from the motor it's coming from the stator case itself has anyone ever experienced this maybe I installed the bearings backwards or not flush I don't know I've done this and rebuilt this thing probably 30 times I cannot figure it out please any information will help me I have replaced the stator rotor and bearings thank you
I HAVE !!LOL...I replaced the cover plate, journal, bearing and every spacer and bearing to include to rotor...SO, Everything in that area is super tight so if you damaged ANY machined surface you're going to have to replace it. The bearing journal in the cover plate along with the bearing might be the culprit. BOTH NEED to be pressed in with a hydraulic press once you replace BOTH. The old socket and hammer isn't going to do it...The bearing in the crank area usually doesn't go bad because it's drenched in oil. . Put you hand in there and slowly spin it and if you feel ANY resistance( bumps, notable increased resistance to turn) it's bad too. I had replaced EVERYTHING in the parts breakdown from that area and WALLA! It's GTG.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys it's easy to get the bearing out of the block! It's as easy as a piece of light bread and a bolt or an extension just pound the bread in the hole and it will push the bearing right out.. Easy peasy. Just try it still amazes me how well it works

21 - 34 of 34 Posts