Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im planning to eventually get into racing, but Ive hit a bump in the road.
What I need to know from the guys who race, is that what do you do outside of riding on the track to get better at racing?
Why Im asking is that I crashed my R1, and before I crashed it I was practicing everything Ive been reading up on once a week in the canyons in between track days with the hopes that it would make me a faster rider on the track. Now Im debating if I should turn my R1 into a track bike and buy another R1 for street use, or just ride my current R1 just on the track. I have mixed feelings about it. One side of me says, that street riding does very little to help me improve, but the other side says that if I take a whole month off between riding Ill end up degressing.
Your thoughts please

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Get a second bike make 1 a full time track bike and ride as much as you can regards of street or track and do as many lessons as possible from a coach

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Even just doing track days has pretty much ruined street riding for me. You just can't push a modern sportbike on the street anywhere near what you can do on the track without being an absolute retard. I'm pretty close to retiring my R1 from street riding and just doing track days with it. I'm not a racer, just love the thought of runoff areas, no oncoming traffic, no police, etc. It's already pretty rare for me to ride the R1 on the street. I have a different bike for that.

Do what you want, just my $0.02

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even just doing track days has pretty much ruined street riding for me. You just can't push a modern sportbike on the street anywhere near what you can do on the track without being an absolute retard. I'm pretty close to retiring my R1 from street riding and just doing track days with it. I'm not a racer, just love the thought of runoff areas, no oncoming traffic, no police, etc. It's already pretty rare for me to ride the R1 on the street. I have a different bike for that.

Do what you want, just my $0.02
Yeah, thats exactly what Im thinking about. I just cant push myself at all on the streets. I feel that Im held back significantly. On the track I can go 100%, on the street I feel Im maybe at 25%. But then again, at least Im still practicing.
Im probably going to get a new bike :) :-(.
11000 for an 2014 with 3000 miles a good deal?

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
I only ride on the track. There is no possible way to practice racing on the street

Pick up some trackdays for more experience. Pick up a reach school as well

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
Yeah, thats exactly what Im thinking about. I just cant push myself at all on the streets. I feel that Im held back significantly. On the track I can go 100%, on the street I feel Im maybe at 25%. But then again, at least Im still practicing.
Im probably going to get a new bike :) :-(.
11000 for an 2014 with 3000 miles a good deal?
Not really. Sending you a pm

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
trackdays and coaching.
but that wont help if you are lazy, unfit, and fat.

Get a gym membership and stay generally fit. dont need to get bigger - hey do what I did and lose 60 pounds - youll actually go faster haha, but youll find out how much energy it takes when you really push a bike to its limit for the duration of a race, its very draining.

I did an hour and ten minute long session at the end of a trackday once, pitted once for gas in the middle. One of the most physicallydraining thing ive done in my life!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been training at the gym for the last 5 years 10 hours a week, I do 5-10 hours of cardio a week. I eat extremely clean, and have less than 10% of body fat. Going to the gym was to keep physically fit for skateboarding, but now it's for riding. :smile:

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
trackdays and coaching.

lot of people spend big coin on flash suspension when they dont have the talent to outride the stock stuff.

track time is the only thing that will make you faster

·
the track is where its at.
197 Posts
As it appears you have the fitness point covered, then its just time at the track (the more tracks you can ride, the better). Have a coach evaluate your technique (basic body position, braking, corner entry, acceleration etc), until that is consistent, and then start churning out the laps, using a GPS laptimer to monitor your consistency.

Once you can run consistently within 0.3 of a second across 5+ laps, then get an experienced coach to follow you the next time your going out to try and help you a take the next step (change lines, body position, riding technique etc)

However if you can't do a consistent lap (same brake points, tip-in points, corner speed, throttle application etc), then you can't evaluate where you are, what you need to change in your riding style, or on the bike (geometry, suspension, gearing etc).

In my experience, at no time does riding fast on the road help improve your racing once you fully commit to racing, as you can never push as hard on the road as you do at the track.

·
For no ma'am
2,609 Posts
Get a motard or a dirtbike. If you have any offroad trails near you it would be a no brainer. A dirt bike will not only increase your bike handling skills it will also give you a very good workout.

·
Turn and Burn!
1,192 Posts
I like what BlackFZR said. Good advice. I got into club racing about 2yrs ago with the intent on turning bike back to street form during summer breaks, etc. I never did and don't regret it. I realized I was riding like an idiot in the canyons. Take some riding classes, get your bike dialed in and you'll find that all you'll be doing is looking for the next trackday or race. Save your $$$ cause you'll need it!! You'll probably meet a lot of cool people too.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
Get a motard or a dirtbike. If you have any offroad trails near you it would be a no brainer. A dirt bike will not only increase your bike handling skills it will also give you a very good workout.
This statement is invalid. If you are not on a racetrack with your Racebike then you are not learning or helping/increasing your race skills. This has been mentioned by others before you and therefore must be true.

My previous statement is complete garbage. Any riding is good, street, stunt, bicycle, ect. If you can afford a street and race bike....then do it.

I agree with getting a dirtbike to both keep in shape and have fun doing it. The dirt bike, when ridden aggressively, will aid in your ability to feel comfortable with a bike getting "loose". Whether the front is sliding out under braking, the rear fishtailing on the gas, or the front end coming up all crossed up out of a corner, these things will help you feel at home when they happen on a race bike.

·
Banned
672 Posts
Forget riding on a street as a practice or even preparation for a track. Find a closest California Superbike School and do the first two levels as soon as you can. The reason for it is to learn the correct habits from the start, rather than reinforce the bad ones and then re-learn again. You might be slower at the beginning but you will be doing it the right way - position, lines, braking markers etc. The faster times are just a result of doing it right, not pushing your luck going over your head.
Second thing is learn your bike. I do not mean spending a lot of money on it but get it set up correctly for your weight and riding style. Learn how the bike works and what effect each of the adjustments have on it's behaviour. If possible, find a mentor - experienced rider that can follow you around and give feedback. Most of the guys will be happy to help so don't be afraid to ask for help or advice.
Join a club if there is a local one to you. Club races are a great fun and safest way to start racing plus also you can get a lot of help from more experienced members. Do not forget to enjoy your riding. After all that's what its all about.
That's my $0.02 worth :icon_wink:
Best of luck and keep the shiny side up :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts