Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the winter layoff for me here in teh midwest I have had a lot of time to read posts and not ride. I have read many that have dealt with people crashing and dying.
this has made me think and also worry that I could be next! At the end of the riding season for me last year, I was in a group of people that went out riding and hit some deer. wasnt me but real close calls.
this past weekend I went out riding and got smoked by the guy I was riding with. It would of happened anyway but, I just wasnt riding as hard as I used to last year. I am scared to push the limits. I do not want to crash and wreck my bike and or die.
granted I was still going fast just not what I used to do, I was letting up at some points and only going real fast down the straights.
I do not know how to jump this hurdle. although by the end of the day riding I was getting into it more. I am wondering if maybe it is just the first ride of the year jitters. most likely, as can be attested to how i loosened up by the end of the ride a little.
but it still cannot take away the mental block of fear. does anyone have any good ideas on this and have any of you ever felt like this.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I feel like that sometimes, if I have a gut feeling not to push, I don't. We really should be saving the performance riding for the track and the mellow cruising for around town within speedlimits.

·
HighRider
699 Posts
It all comes back with more time in the saddle. If you don't feel like going fast or riding on a particular day then don't. Go with your gut feelings and ride safe. Never let anyone put pressure on you to do what you don't feel comfortable doing. Once you let go of the ego it's all good from there on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fear keeps you alive.

Listen to the voice in your head. It will keep you out of trouble. Better to take it slow and roll on instead of coming into a turn blazing hot and :cryin

·
What Cop? I didn't see no cop.
158 Posts
I too have found myslef backing off the throttle a little more often on the street over the last year. I think its just a realization that your not running a race on the street. Its all about the fun.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BryanP said:
I too have found myslef backing off the throttle a little more often on the street over the last year. I think its just a realization that your not running a race on the street. Its all about the fun.

its good to know I am not the only one.

·
I need more money.
3,023 Posts
Sometimes when I ride a bit faster then what I sould ride, I am like, dude, calm down a lot can happen. you are in a public road. and then I slow down and enjoy the moment pf me on an R1. this was my dream for a long time. I realy dont want to [email protected] up my dream (The One) and crash it in the next curve.

The problem is that we dont have track here so the only choice we got to see what the bike can do its on empty traffic back roads and highways.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
take it to a track day. Once you start doing track days, aggressive street riding seems silly and pointless, and you'll probably just not want to take those risks on the street anymore. The track is addictingly fun.

·
Juevos??
449 Posts
I am with Eyespy on the trackday theory. I have done 5 so far and because of them I don't push that hard on the street. On the track my knee is down and the tires end up pretty well chewed up, but on the street I still have chicken strips!

I also agree with a previous poster that blazing into a corner on a public road is not wise, and sometimes you can even learn more by slowing down your entrance speeds and powering out of a corner....
My 02cents.

Also Unfortunately I wrecked in December.... but it was on a race track and no harm was done to me physically because race tracks are meant for wrecks!!! and roads are not....

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think you've got a leak in your invincibility gasket and it's dribbling in some common sense. Don't worry; it's quite normal for that gasket to blow a leak after a few years in the saddle.
Take solace in this: Carl Fogerty (5-time World Superbike Champion) never rode a bike on the road after he won his first title. He said, "it's just too dangerous."
As I speed toward my 30's, I'm beginning to feel the same way.

BTW... This is my first post. Looking forward to meeting you all here.

·
12th Man
175 Posts
Although it's tempting to push it on the street, many have died doing so. There is a time and place for everything, and riding hard is for track days, still with no guarantee you will be going home afterwards. With this in mind, I'm putting most of my efforts into attending as many track days as possible this summer and fall, with easy riding during other times. It's a dangerous hobby we have chosen, some make it more dangerous than others, but as I always try to live by: "Only some actually live each day to the fullest, some are born and die without trulely living." This doesn't mean to go out and be foolishly reckless, but a little danger makes the ride (forgive the pun) a little more fun.:hellobye

·
Voodoo!!
7,623 Posts
Cipactli said:
Age has something to do with it too. The younger you are the more invincible you think you are.
Agree 100%!

Voodoo

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
Cipactli said:
Age has something to do with it too. The younger you are the more invincible you think you are.
:iamwithst

There couldn't be any more truth than what's in that statement bro!!

I couldn't ever give up riding on the street. Too many back roads and open country to see and tame. Runnng through some sweepers or twisties at a brisk pace is cool but when you go full tilt through there it changes everything. Back in my teens I used to ride my bmx bike off the roof and jump various shiot. Now I look back at that and wonder "What the hell was I thinking? I survived that?"...:lol So I agree that age is a huge factor in what that litte voice is telling you.:yesnod

·
Trackday Addict
774 Posts
Eyespy's right! After just a couple of track days I have to say riding on the street has lost it's luster. Our bikes are way too fast and so outperform cars they're not practical sometimes. There's just nowhere safe to really push like the track. I wish there were more than one a month around here... :(

Listen to the voice in your head and back off. The feeling will come and go. Enjoy yourself when it's not there and watch a little 2002 / 2003 Isle Of Mann TT for therapy now & them :crash

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
ryu510 said:
Fear keeps you alive.

Listen to the voice in your head. It will keep you out of trouble. Better to take it slow and roll on instead of coming into a turn blazing hot and :cryin
Controlled fear is what keeps you alive. It's the unknown that kills you. You can't see the deer, gravel, or wrong lane car if you're blazing a trail through the back woods.

·
Super Moderator
21,686 Posts
ryu510 said:
Fear keeps you alive.

That's what I do. When my little voice tells me your in over your
head I tend to listen to it. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

·
Grip and rip
148 Posts
I dont have an ego when it comes to riding fast on the street.
I ride as fast [or slow] as I want to go.
If I get passed, so be it.
Maybe it comes from being 40 in two weeks time and having a 5 year old son and a wife.
I have fun, I have no chicked strips and basically I am riding as fast as I want to go.
If you are NOT riding as fast as you want to then you will run in to problems as you try to push your limits further.

I have my own theory that says that just because I get passed by another rider does not nessacarily mean he is a better rider, I tend to think that maybe he is just not as smart and is not leaving as much room for things that he cant control eg, sand, rocks, other road users etc.
There is much more to being a good rider than just out right speed.

·
69!
902 Posts
im 40 now, got 3 little ones, i only think about selling my bike to buy a crf or drz about twice a day. i like to think if im not stupid i will be fine. definitly generaly slower than i used to be. too bad accelleration is so addictive.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts