Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Johnny Chimpo
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a set of Gilles rearsets that I bought off of a forum member. Top notch product and the seller was great to deal with. :thumbup

My question is, Id like to try the reverse shifting, but when I got done putting it all together, the shift rod/connecting link was hitting my chain guard pretty bad and it didnt seem to want to shift well... What gives?

I put it back to normal shifting for now... Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
273 Posts
You have to either remove or cut the chain gaurd. I removed mine, & will never go back to standard shifting.

·
Johnny Chimpo
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think they would do their homework and figure a way around it. Thats my only complaint, other than that, they rock :D

·
When in dought Whip it out
453 Posts
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
DO NOT FORGET TO PUT SOME LOCKTITE ON THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE 2 SHIFT RODS TOGETHER

I had a bad experience where I had to ride home in 1st gear because that bolt fell out

As you can guess I had no Fun that day

Ken

K

·
0 Posts
lock tight everything,..totally agree, i had to jockey shift mine because it came undone one time.

and yeah i just removed the chain guard,...dont see any reason for it

·
Johnny Chimpo
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put locktite on everything and will check the bolts before my riding season starts. Which will be in a month or so, I hope :D

·
585 Posts
I sold them to him and I found that everything needed to be locktited as well. Every bolt on the rearsets was removed and I applied blue locktite. The chain guard will need to be modified in order to use reverse shifting, You don't need to remove the guard but you will need to cut back the plastic to gain some clearance. I cut mine back a few inches so only the top 2 (1 front, 1 rear) mounting bolt hold the chain guard on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts