Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Point it at the sky
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this on the net... what do you think?

I'll post the shrink's advice later... let's see what R1 owners would tell him to do?

Hey, Alan,
I'm just going to cut to the chase here. I'm 27-years-old, and I very badly want to get a tattoo — have since I was in high school. My new live-in girlfriend despises tattoos, and, believe it or not, she told me she would move out if I ever got one. Obviously I don't want her to leave (I did ask her to move in with me, after all), but this issue is distressing me not just because I really want the tat, but because this might be a precursor of things to come. What if I got a haircut that she hated and I liked, and she said she'd leave if I ever got that same haircut again? What if she threatens to move out every time we have a disagreement? Is all this cause for me to reevaluate our entire relationship? Do you think she would actually leave, or is she just using the best weapon at her disposal to get her way?
— Getting Needled in Newark

·
Illuminati
1,065 Posts
This is a test of her control over the guy. Don't fall for it. In fact the relationship needs reconsidering. Bad personality traits only get worse given time in a relationship.

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,771 Posts
My advice..... RUN!!! RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!!!!!!!! If a tat would make buddy happy, the girl shouldn't really care. Relationships are all about support and understanding, not using leverage to get someone to do something you want them to do. I find it funny that he would even ask... seems like he already knows he should boot her out but is trying to talk himself into letting her stay. ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR FIRST INSTINCTS!

·
Turd Ferguson
689 Posts
I agree. If you cave on this then it'll only get worse. The fact that she'd even threaten something that drastic would make me worry too. I tell her you really had your heart set on this for some time.

Just grab her by the hair and smack her on the ass, that'll show her who's boss. They like that anyway. :lol

·
Da Vulva Swabber
805 Posts
tap it for me then quit it

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Shhhhheeeeeeit!!! I'm a grown assed man. I might have been forced to get two tattoos after that crap. And if she want's to leave ....................oh well. C'ya when I c'ya............BEOTCH!

·
Point it at the sky
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys are great! perfect shrinks.... :fact here's what the "allen" had to say

Yo, Needled,
My initial reaction as a guy who proudly sports four tattoos is, go for it. But my initial reaction as a guy whose job it is to make sure my homies are in harmony with their honeys is: Think long, think hard and be smart. To that end, if I were the angel hovering over your right shoulder, I'd tell you to avoid the tattoo parlor at all costs — because what's really more important to you: Having some body art, or having the love of your life? But if I were the devil hovering over your left shoulder, I'd tell you to be your own man, and to get needled at your earliest possible convenience.

With that said, you're absolutely right to be concerned about her threat to leave. If she's prepared to go Defcon One just because of a tattoo, or a haircut, or any other random alteration to your appearance, what's going to happen when you have a real problem? Her over-the-top reaction to this raises a huge red flag. You need to sit her down and have a very frank discussion — and fast. It's difficult to maintain a successful relationship — especially a living-together-type, or (dare I say it) a marriage-in-waiting-type of relationship. But if each of your more personal decisions — especially one as personal as getting a tattoo — is going to set off a firestorm, things'll be that much tougher. You can't live happily walking on eggshells. It's fine and good for her to offer up her opinions, but ultimatums are not in the least bit cool.

Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine that she'd actually follow through on the threat to leave. We'll assume since she accepted your move-in proposal, she's in love with you. That being the case, I can't imagine she'd bail just because of some ink. Still, Needles, make sure you sit her down for that hardcore heart-to-heart.

(This just in: My shoulder devil just smacked my shoulder angel upside his head. Get the tattoo.)

get gone beotch!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry off topic...yo PhiSig1071. I couldn't help but notice the Mother's pic you sport which is at the top of Pally Mtn, and that you're from everywhere but SD. Did you come out to ride it?

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
RUN!!!

Does he really want to spend the rest of life with a controlling woman like that?? If he allows this to slide, then it will only get worse. I guess if he really likes her he could just get it and see what she does....

- BA

1 - 20 of 23 Posts