Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Has this thread help you with your questions?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1138 Posts

·
The former Stop Doc
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i work for a brake manufacturer, but I am not here to sell you on what i have. I am here to educate on brakes in general. If you have a questions, problems or concerns, let me hear if. I will do my best to give you a non-bias answer and help out my fellow riders. So bring them on! I have already answered a ton of brake related posts throughout this forum, but I am here if you need more info.

·
Super Moderator
27,468 Posts
RCracer51 said:
Yes i work for a brake manufacturer, but I am not here to sell you on what i have. I am here to educate on brakes in general. If you have a questions, problems or concerns, let me hear if. I will do my best to give you a non-bias answer and help out my fellow riders. So bring them on! I have already answered a ton of brake related posts throughout this forum, but I am here if you need more info.
I have one question. I switched from my OEM pads to Kevlar pads. I put on Galfer SS lines front and rear and Galfer Kevlar pads in the front. I've noticed that the Kevlar pads squeak and squeal MUCH more than OEM pads. Is that normal? As of right now, my next set of pads will be OEM.

·
The former Stop Doc
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Give me your brake questions!!!

Anubis said:
I have one question. I switched from my OEM pads to Kevlar pads. I put on Galfer SS lines front and rear and Galfer Kevlar pads in the front. I've noticed that the Kevlar pads squeak and squeal MUCH more than OEM pads. Is that normal? As of right now, my next set of pads will be OEM.
Did you prep the rotors before you put in the new pads? The squeak is a characteristic nature of the G1532 kevlar compound. It usually happens when there is too much pads build up, or if the pads have gotten wet a few times. Since there is no metallics in that compound, it can't bite through the build up. Re-prep the rotors, and you should be good to go. That compound is a very good compound under good conditions. I would recommend the G1375 sintered HH compound next time though, it will last longer, give you more initial bite and progression, and won't squeak.

·
Just prove it!
631 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Give me your brake questions!!!

RCracer51 said:
Did you prep the rotors before you put in the new pads?

How do you prep brake rotors when instaling new pads?
I take it you may mean giving them a good clean with solvent brake cleaner perhaps?
O rperhaps a light sand with very fine sand paper:dunno

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
someone told me that if you can lock your brakes up you can already achieve maximum braking by going right before that point. do ss lines really make my stopping distance shorter or is it only for feel in the brake lever? if with stock i can go the point right before they lock up i'm just curious if anything aftermarket can shorten my stopping distance.

thanks,
corey

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
i'm just curious because if you can lock the brakes up you can go past the point of maximum braking right? so would anything better actually make a difference? just curious

·
The former Stop Doc
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
locking up your brakes

gsxcorey said:
i'm just curious because if you can lock the brakes up you can go past the point of maximum braking right? so would anything better actually make a difference? just curious
Locking up you brakes is no indication of how good they are. Good brakes are a combination of power, modulation and managability. SS lines will in crease your lever pressure allowing more force with less effort to be applied to your caliper. This will in turn shorten your stopping distance. Now after you have done this, you are going to want to start looking at a brake pad upgrade.

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK Sergio. What about brake judder? I had a situation with my stock brakes - 30K miles - where I was getting this vibration when braking hard. Seemed worse at higher speeds, especially during track days. Rotors were not warped, but seemed to have glazed spots or something. Took them off and had them bead blasted, which helped some, but the problem was still there.

I eventually replaced the rotors (sorry, went with Braking StremX) and the problem is gone. What can I do to keep keep this from coming back? I've seen some brake suppliers sell a rotor-hone device to resurface the rotors, but seems like a lot of trouble.

Thanks for your thoughts,

-Joe

·
WahWahWeeWAH
2,405 Posts
alright i have a conundrum for you. i did a ss line replacement last fall. brakes were shit before, not much better after. better initial bite, fade under constant and hard pressure.

when i bleed them i see a constant stream of air coming out of the hose, it never ends.

i bought speed bleeders and they did nothing, still the air problem.

some say the brakes should feel spongey as they do. some say they don't believe that i can't bleed it out. some say get it hot. some have said that i need to replace the crush washers (which i didn't do), some say they've used the crush washers several times.

now all i can say is that the system is open, and it is sucking air from somewhere. would it suck at the crush washers or is it the master cylinder?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
just because you get more brakes with less of a pull how would that shorted your stopping distance? that makes you have to press less. if you don't mind pulling harder on the lever then you can stop just as fast? i still ask HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU STOP FASTER? just because you don't have to pull the lever as hard doesn't mean you're gonna stop faster that just means less effort it used to stop.

wish someone could point this out...

i realize locking up the brakes isn't good and doesn't make you stop faster, but if you have enough brakes to lock them up, then you should have enough to go to the point RIGHT BEFORE lockup (max braking) correct?

·
eNVisible
656 Posts
RCracer51~ I have a question: Where's my new shirt since I switched the new R1 I now own over to Galfer? ;)

·
Just prove it!
631 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Give me your brake questions!!!

jeffgre_6163 said:
RCracer51 said:
Did you prep the rotors before you put in the new pads?

How do you prep brake rotors when instaling new pads?
I take it you may mean giving them a good clean with solvent brake cleaner perhaps?
Or perhaps a light sand with very fine sand paper:dunno
I would still like to know how to prep my rotors prior to instaling new pads:dunno

·
Registered
14 Posts
front brake issues

i posted a new thread before i saw this one can you check it out and maybe give me your professional opinion it is entitled front brakes and it is by jtaylor it is on the first page of the mechanical forums. it would be greatly appreciated it has to be the craziest thing when it comes to brakes that i have ever come across

·
Super Moderator
27,468 Posts
Re: Re: Give me your brake questions!!!

Mirage said:
RCracer51~ I have a question: Where's my new shirt since I switched the new R1 I now own over to Galfer? ;)
I want a t-shirt too!!!! :lol I've got Galfer brake systems on my bike as well. :cool:

1 - 20 of 1138 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
275 Participants
cyclepsycho7
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing