Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Has this thread help you with your questions?

• Total voters
1081 - 1100 of 1138 Posts

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Thanks for the link. Hopefully this fixes it but I'm not overly hopeful.

·
ALL ABOUT THE BLACK AND GOLD!!
1,011 Posts
Hey "Boss Man" I am looking for a good Street/ 1/4Mile setup for my 08 R1.

What type of Pads and Rotors do you recommend? I already have Braided Lines and a Brembo Master that I have but will install if I need to.(Its a spare from my Track Bike)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey "Boss Man" I am looking for a good Street/ 1/4Mile setup for my 08 R1.

What type of Pads and Rotors do you recommend? I already have Braided Lines and a Brembo Master that I have but will install if I need to.(Its a spare from my Track Bike)

Thanks!!
Personally, I like stock rotors and Vesrah pads. Although I hear the Brembo rotors are nice too.

What exactly are you looking for that your current setup does not do?

·
ALL ABOUT THE BLACK AND GOLD!!
1,011 Posts
Personally, I like stock rotors and Vesrah pads. Although I hear the Brembo rotors are nice too.

What exactly are you looking for that your current setup does not do?
Just looking for a little more that's all. The braking on it now is fine but doesn't have that bite I want.

Which Vesrah's do you recommend, RJL SRJL....?

What about Braking rotors they are going for pretty cheap right now for the WK's? Question is how much of an improvement are they over the stock rotors??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just looking for a little more that's all. The braking on it now is fine but doesn't have that bite I want.

Which Vesrah's do you recommend, RJL SRJL....?

What about Braking rotors they are going for pretty cheap right now for the WK's? Question is how much of an improvement are they over the stock rotors??
SRJL XX's are nice, but you have to get them warmed up a bit for maximum bite.

I have had no experience with the Braking rotors, but I think wave rotors are more hype than anything else. I could be wrong. Maybe you can find some reviews from people who have used them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just installed galfer ss lines and ebc hh pads. I didn't do anything with my rotors due to them being in good shape. Is it normal for the front brake lever to be more stiff and the pads rub the rotors till they are "seated"?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure the brake reservoir isn't overfilled, a little dragging is alright, the lever will be much more solid now which improves brake feel.

Bed the pads properly, that will ensure u are going to get 100% of your stopping power out of those babies

·
Registered
150 Posts
I will check reservoir level. I do believe it is full. Possibly overly. Thanks. Basically I would ride at about 40 and slow pump them with a stop point set. I would repeat except easing on the brakes. Did this back and forth for about 30 minutes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question about my front brake.
About a month ago, I felt my front brake getting soft.
Today, my front brake is very soft and doesn't work well.
I checked the brake fluid. I think it's okay.
What is the problem? What shoul I do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
For bedding this is what I do, in a car or bike, apply the brake lightly from 55-25mph (x5), to heat them up, then I get them really hot by braking pretty hard from 70-15 (x5). Then spend at least 10 mins without braking to let them cool completely, I also try not to brake before this process.
I had that problem when my fluid was a little high, it was barely under the line, now its maybe a 1/8-1/4" under it

Epimah: what do u mean soft like u apply pressure and it wont brake? Or the lever feels soft and you need to squeeze further than before?

go with Boss Man from here on out, i think he is more experienced with brakes than me

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a question about my front brake.
About a month ago, I felt my front brake getting soft.
Today, my front brake is very soft and doesn't work well.
I checked the brake fluid. I think it's okay.
What is the problem? What shoul I do?
What year?

Do you see any fluid leaking out?

Does the lever go all the way to the handle bar?

If you pump the lever a few times does it firm up the brakes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for reply!

What year? 2007

Do you see any fluid leaking out? No, I don't see any leaking out

Does the lever go all the way to the handle bar? Easily all the way upto 1/2 inch to the handle bar.

No. I tried few times, then it still same.

thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you for reply!

What year? 2007

Do you see any fluid leaking out? No, I don't see any leaking out

Does the lever go all the way to the handle bar? Easily all the way upto 1/2 inch to the handle bar.

No. I tried few times, then it still same.

thanks again.
Try doing this:

Sounds like a sticking caliper.

Try removing your calipers one at a time and sticking a piece of wood between the pistons (you'll need to remove the pads) then pump the master a few times and make sure all of the pistons make contact with the wood. Use an old toothbrush and some brake fluid and clean off the crap on the pistons. You can rotate the pistons a little as you do it to make sure you get all of it off. Then push them back and do the other side.

That should help. If not, you may need to do a full rebuild. If a piston comes completely out then you'll need to rebleed your brakes, and technically you are supposed to rebuild them if that happens, but you should be ok. Try not to let that happen though.
and see if that helps. You can spray the sides of the pistons with some dry teflon lube when you have them all pumped out.

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey there,

I am replacing my buttons with fully floating buttons, I notice my front inner pads wearing faster than the outer. (Even on both sides mind)
Prior to using the SBS HH Sintered (street excel) pads i did a full rebuild on the calipers, so should be no issues with the calipers...I am considering the SBS HH Sintered race pads as SBS state they are more suited to fast road/track use.

While the rotors are off I want to wet sand them, whats the best wet n dry to use, they are not warped and are within spec still :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey there,

I am replacing my buttons with fully floating buttons, I notice my front inner pads wearing faster than the outer. (Even on both sides mind)
Prior to using the SBS HH Sintered (street excel) pads i did a full rebuild on the calipers, so should be no issues with the calipers...I am considering the SBS HH Sintered race pads as SBS state they are more suited to fast road/track use.

While the rotors are off I want to wet sand them, whats the best wet n dry to use, they are not warped and are within spec still :)
I would use either 000 steel wool or 300 - 400 grit sandpaper. My preference would be the steel wool.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
i have a question /problem i could use some advice on. i am just starting to get into track riding and the other day after a few hard laps the lever got soft and i lost alot of my braking power it was almost pulling back to the bar and i over shot the turn by a good 30 feet. i have changed out the fluid for dot5 as it has higher boiling point and i put on braided lines before this incident now my question is i am upgrading parts on a budget not in the sense that i want to buy the cheapest parts but i am only able to get one now n one later so between rotors or callipers which one will help my problem more and what do you recommend i have been reading up on iron rotors and brembo callipers is there better parts i should be looking at? the brembo's look smaller the stock are they really better?

1081 - 1100 of 1138 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
275 Participants
cyclepsycho7
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing