Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Has this thread help you with your questions?

• Total voters
1101 - 1120 of 1138 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have a question /problem i could use some advice on. i am just starting to get into track riding and the other day after a few hard laps the lever got soft and i lost alot of my braking power it was almost pulling back to the bar and i over shot the turn by a good 30 feet. i have changed out the fluid for dot5 as it has higher boiling point and i put on braided lines before this incident now my question is i am upgrading parts on a budget not in the sense that i want to buy the cheapest parts but i am only able to get one now n one later so between rotors or callipers which one will help my problem more and what do you recommend i have been reading up on iron rotors and brembo callipers is there better parts i should be looking at? the brembo's look smaller the stock are they really better?
As WestSide said, get that Dot 5 fluid out of there ASAP. Unless you actually used DOT 5.1 in which case you can leave it. Which one is it?

Personally, I would upgrade calipers before rotors, but before I did anything I would try to improve my system. What kind of brake pads are you using? How much wear do you have on them? Thinner pads transfer more heat, so that could be part of your problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey I have a 1999 R1 and I need a new rotor and pads in the rear. what brand rotor do you recommend I have never bought one before. Also any tips what I can do to get the rear & front brakes working like new again. I'm going to do the steel brake lines also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went for a full upgrade on my 03: Galfer wave rotors, galfer hh pads (the more track pads idk the exact number 1375 or something), speigler ss lines, and new levers.

I can stop so fast now my eye balls fall out, there have been a few cases last summer where if I didn't have that setup and went stock I would have crashed

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
i have a question /problem i could use some advice on. i am just starting to get into track riding and the other day after a few hard laps the lever got soft and i lost alot of my braking power it was almost pulling back to the bar and i over shot the turn by a good 30 feet. i have changed out the fluid for dot5 as it has higher boiling point and i put on braided lines before this incident now my question is i am upgrading parts on a budget not in the sense that i want to buy the cheapest parts but i am only able to get one now n one later so between rotors or callipers which one will help my problem more and what do you recommend i have been reading up on iron rotors and brembo callipers is there better parts i should be looking at? the brembo's look smaller the stock are they really better?
All rubber seals in your calipers and master cylinder will need to be replaced now that you have contaminated the system with DOT5. These fluids are not compatible and you will likely find the system will build pressure on its own and leave you sitting on the side of the road with your brakes locked up. You can use dot 5.1 but dot 5 is a no no...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are there any other rotor brands I should look at besides Galfer? they seem to be the most popular according to most people on the forum and looks like they have the best reviews on most online parts websites..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brembo, BrakeTech, Beringer, AP
...I'm not a fan of Galfer
I have been checking a bunch of websites, I don't think those brands carry rotors for my 1999. The OEM rear rotor is $164. If they did carry them for my bike where could I find some. All i'm finding is Galfer, EBC, and OEM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently got my hands on a damaged 2006 r1 from my friend. I've been replacing parts and it's been years since I've worked on bikes. Everything looks good so far but I have a brake question.

When I squeeze the front brake. It bleeds out brake fluid right where the connection is where the lever bolts in. Do I need to replace the entire line or is this a simple fix?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I recently got my hands on a damaged 2006 r1 from my friend. I've been replacing parts and it's been years since I've worked on bikes. Everything looks good so far but I have a brake question.

When I squeeze the front brake. It bleeds out brake fluid right where the connection is where the lever bolts in. Do I need to replace the entire line or is this a simple fix?
The banjo fitting is probably loose. Get some new crush washers and try to tighten it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive bled my brakes and tightened the bolt where the leak was coming from and no longer am leaking brake fluid from there. However. Even after bleedi g both sides and checking to see for any air bubbles in the bleeder tube. The front brake lever still feels like it has no pressure behind it almost. Not sure what the next step would be.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I am about to install a rear brake pressure sensor that came with no instructions. Will it sit under or above the brake line and will the banjo bolt be long enough or can you not tell until removing the banjo bolt?
Thanks for your help!!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I think my last picture answered my own question, looking at the hole in the banjo bolt the pressure sensor would have to go under the brake line!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ive bled my brakes and tightened the bolt where the leak was coming from and no longer am leaking brake fluid from there. However. Even after bleedi g both sides and checking to see for any air bubbles in the bleeder tube. The front brake lever still feels like it has no pressure behind it almost. Not sure what the next step would be.
Did you ever get this fixed?

When you squeeze the lever and open a bleeder on the caliper does fluid shoot out or does it kind of ooze?

·
'16 60th Anniversary "Pikachu"
914 Posts
So I recently swapped out my front end and suspension from the 2009 to the 2012 with TCS because of the little get off I had couple weeks ago and since I finally got everything together and running I am having some issues with my front brakes.

The whole front brake m/c (came with some cheap pos JPR levers) is from a 2012 along with lines and calipers&pads (all oem/stock) I am using my same wheel and my original rotors. I am getting a really quick and hard bite with a minimal tap on the brake levers which is quite scary and more scary because it's not enough play in the lever or m/c to activate the brake lights to alert cagers behind me. I am not sure what is going on here, I flushed out the brake fluids and replenished it with new fluids and it still has that hard bite on the brakes with a slight tap. There is barely any play or that spongy feel before the pressure to bite on the lever, I'd say there's about 1/4 of an inch of play then it's just a hard bite on the brakes afterwards.

My rotors and wheels are facing the correct rotation direction. Would anyone happen to know of any symptoms that I can check on?

Thanks In Advance,
Dara

1101 - 1120 of 1138 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
275 Participants
cyclepsycho7
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing