Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Has this thread help you with your questions?

• Total voters
1121 - 1138 of 1138 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
So I recently swapped out my front end and suspension from the 2009 to the 2012 with TCS because of the little get off I had couple weeks ago and since I finally got everything together and running I am having some issues with my front brakes.

The whole front brake m/c (came with some cheap pos JPR levers) is from a 2012 along with lines and calipers&pads (all oem/stock) I am using my same wheel and my original rotors. I am getting a really quick and hard bite with a minimal tap on the brake levers which is quite scary and more scary because it's not enough play in the lever or m/c to activate the brake lights to alert cagers behind me. I am not sure what is going on here, I flushed out the brake fluids and replenished it with new fluids and it still has that hard bite on the brakes with a slight tap. There is barely any play or that spongy feel before the pressure to bite on the lever, I'd say there's about 1/4 of an inch of play then it's just a hard bite on the brakes afterwards.

My rotors and wheels are facing the correct rotation direction. Would anyone happen to know of any symptoms that I can check on?

Thanks In Advance,
Dara
Does the TCS affect anything with the braking system? Sorry, but I'm not really familiar with it.

Do you know how well the 2012 brakes were cared for?

This is a long shot, but are you sure that they weren't using DOT 5 fluid in the system?

Have you tried cleaning the pistons?

·
'16 60th Anniversary "Pikachu"
914 Posts
Does the TCS affect anything with the braking system? Sorry, but I'm not really familiar with it.

Do you know how well the 2012 brakes were cared for?

This is a long shot, but are you sure that they weren't using DOT 5 fluid in the system?

Have you tried cleaning the pistons?
TCS has no affects. The brakes off the 2012 has 40xx miles on them barely broken in and cared for. I'm using DOT 4 fluid. Haven't tried cleaning the pistons yet.

·
914 Posts
I'd try cleaning them. Pump them out a little and use a toothbrush or something.
So I finally fixed the issues with my front brakes. The levers that came with the clip-ons I bought were those cheap-o JPR levers. The groove/dimple where the m/c rod sits in was too shallow causing the m/c rod to be pressed in which is what was causing the brakes to suddenly bite hard right away before the brake lights activated. My resolution was dremeling the groove/dimple deeper for the m/c rod to go out to it's full extent so that the pressure can be fully relieved.

Everything works perfectly fine now and I am able to ride and alert cagers or anyone behind me that I am about to slow down or is at a complete stop. I'm just waiting for my RCS19 and other parts from Riders Discount so I can swap my whole MC out.

Dara

·
Registered
91 Posts
So I finally fixed the issues with my front brakes. The levers that came with the clip-ons I bought were those cheap-o JPR levers. The groove/dimple where the m/c rod sits in was too shallow causing the m/c rod to be pressed in which is what was causing the brakes to suddenly bite hard right away before the brake lights activated. My resolution was dremeling the groove/dimple deeper for the m/c rod to go out to it's full extent so that the pressure can be fully relieved.

Everything works perfectly fine now and I am able to ride and alert cagers or anyone behind me that I am about to slow down or is at a complete stop. I'm just waiting for my RCS19 and other parts from Riders Discount so I can swap my whole MC out.

Dara
Good job figuring that out. I was thinking about something like that, but for some reason I was thinking you replaced the levers with stock ones.

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

·
914 Posts
Good job figuring that out. I was thinking about something like that, but for some reason I was thinking you replaced the levers with stock ones.

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't replace stock ones if I had them on. I like the way how stock levers feel compared to shorties that are just cosmetic points only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking to put a Brembo RCS 19 on my 2000 R1. is that ok or should i get the RCS 15? i prefer hard brakes, short level movement, mostly track and hard mountain riding.

·
Eat my dust
23 Posts
Of course I see this AFTER i post in 3 groups asking about brakes

Two questions from a new owner..
1) I can't break loose the caliper bolt under my exhaust!!! I asked a guy for help and I guess he had to show off, he ended up stripping it bald. I CANNOT budge the stupid thing and I have experience with tight bolts. I know its not to be turned in the other direction unless its some sorta alien-bolt. So what gives how do I get the stubborn thing off? Tried PB blaster and vise grip too

2) Do I HAVE to change the rear rotors with my brakes? I don't feel any warpage when I'm riding and yes it's an 03 but the rotors should last a little longer right? I've read differing opinions.. :uhh:

·
Registered
91 Posts
1) I can't break loose the caliper bolt under my exhaust!!! I asked a guy for help and I guess he had to show off, he ended up stripping it bald. I CANNOT budge the stupid thing and I have experience with tight bolts. I know its not to be turned in the other direction unless its some sorta alien-bolt. So what gives how do I get the stubborn thing off? Tried PB blaster and vise grip too

2) Do I HAVE to change the rear rotors with my brakes? I don't feel any warpage when I'm riding and yes it's an 03 but the rotors should last a little longer right? I've read differing opinions.. :uhh:
Can you post a picture of the caliper and the stubborn bolt?

You don't have to change the rotor. Check the thickness of it and make sure it isn't gouged or anything. See if your fingernail gets caught in any of the grooves. You should also give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
quick brake question

Im looking into installing a brembo caliper kit on an 08 r1, but the vendor's page doesn't tell me how much extra brake line I will need to reach the new location. im looking into core steel braided brake lines to replace the stock ones. I was guessing approx. 5-7 extra inches? thank you for any help regarding this issue.

·
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!
2,381 Posts
Im looking into installing a brembo caliper kit on an 08 r1, but the vendor's page doesn't tell me how much extra brake line I will need to reach the new location. im looking into core steel braided brake lines to replace the stock ones. I was guessing approx. 5-7 extra inches? thank you for any help regarding this issue.
best bet is to mount calipers and measure the new lines....5-7 inches is wayyy to much extra...right side is shorter than left side....plus you can change banjo fittings for new set up.

·
I pretend my R1 is Rossi
195 Posts
I don't want to start a new thread, soooo here's hoping someone who knows what's up sees this post. I have a used 2004 R1, with SS lines, rotors within spec (I measured them) and some kind of pads with enough meat on them. My other bike is electric, so nothing else stops like it. I even had the regen dialed up because it's more fun.

So getting back on my R1 after making it sit around for a few months, the front brakes felt like shit. soft, lever goes much further than it should. I'll check the pads again, but I just took it to the shop I trust, and he said that sometimes if the bike sits for too long you can get air leaks. So he bled the brakes and they felt PERFECT. For about a week. I've been riding it more lately, and noticed them getting softer. It's a gradual decline, they're not as soft as they were right before they were bled, but definitely softer than after.

If I was a rich girl, I'd have all the money in the world, and a ****ing Rizoma reservoir & a better master cylinder than stock. But I'm not :`(

So what's the likely culprit? The SS lines that have a lot of miles on them? (Previous owner raced, did track days) or is it the master cylinder? If so, does anyone know where I can get a deal on a good one? If I get a Rizoma reservoir, does it matter which master cylinder I use?

Also, I forget which are the bitey-est pads. I may as well get a set of those, since I love me some stoppies.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The reservoir unless its messed up some how (which is uncommon) won't be the issue.
My guess is its the master cylinder, ladies having smaller hands tend to set the lever closer to the bar than men do as a result you've got less room for error in this dept.

There are master cylinder repair kits, but if you are getting a shop to do it, you be better to get a complete unit and have them fit it.

I don't know what price you'd get a good used one for but a new Brembo unit can be had for $250 to $300, I'd go for this one:
https://www.motomummy.com/brembo/brembo-19x18/19x20-rcs-brake-master-cyl/

Put you brake pad money into one of those first if the pad still have life in them.

·
I pretend my R1 is Rossi
195 Posts
Thanks Doug! Being 5'11, my hands are skinny but not that short. but the reservoir is ugly, so I have to replace it anyway. ;-) I'll save up for the Brembo unit, thanks! It's not the sort of thing I'd want to buy used.

It's annoying because I'm planning to sell the bike in the fall, so I don't want to spend money on it. But I also don't want to sell someone an R1 with shitty brakes!

The reservoir unless its messed up some how (which is uncommon) won't be the issue.
My guess is its the master cylinder, ladies having smaller hands tend to set the lever closer to the bar than men do as a result you've got less room for error in this dept.

There are master cylinder repair kits, but if you are getting a shop to do it, you be better to get a complete unit and have them fit it.

I don't know what price you'd get a good used one for but a new Brembo unit can be had for $250 to $300, I'd go for this one:
https://www.motomummy.com/brembo/brembo-19x18/19x20-rcs-brake-master-cyl/

Put you brake pad money into one of those first if the pad still have life in them.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts

Dara
RCS19 is a nice part.

Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't replace stock ones if I had them on. I like the way how stock levers feel compared to shorties that are just cosmetic points only.
I use shorties being I only need 2 fingers to brake no matter how hard or soft, not for looks only. Do you need more than 2 fingers to brake?

The year of the bike is not as important as how many miles are on the rotor. Be sure it measures to the correct thickness. Also, the previous owner might have been heavy on the back brake and wore down the rotor.:wink2:

1121 - 1138 of 1138 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
275 Participants
cyclepsycho7
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing