Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Does anyone know of any riding gloves that do not use velcro? I cant believe there arent any options. At least that i could find online. Does anyone know or have used any?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use Knox handroid gloves, the cuff is held in place by plastic lines that pull together by rotating a dial on the top of the glove. They do have a small wrist strap under the bottom of your wrist that’s Velcro ... but it’s not much. They are very comfy and provide an amazing level of feel through the bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Knox handroid gloves, the cuff is held in place by plastic lines that pull together by rotating a dial on the top of the glove. They do have a small wrist strap under the bottom of your wrist that’s Velcro ... but it’s not much. They are very comfy and provide an amazing level of feel through the bars

Those look awesome. But at that price point, not sure if I would experiment with those. Plus im looking for a high volume everyday glove. One I pull on and off like 3 times a day. Like def under 100$

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Honestly the simplest Alpinestars SMX-1 style glove, but just with a button close. No velcro. I dont understand how no one is producing this. I find Velcro supppper annoying. Sticks to the lining of my helmet. Stops closing properly after a few months.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That’s why I got the handriods ... got fed up with Velcro, got alpinestars super tech R boots as well... no Velcro

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,889 Posts
Hey Guys. Does anyone know of any riding gloves that do not use velcro? I cant believe there arent any options. At least that i could find online. Does anyone know or have used any?
What are your priorities? Leather, textile, gauntlet, shorty, etc. Sounds like you're looking for a glove with elastic at the wrist? If so, there are options out there but you'll sacrifice protection. Look for deerskin with elastic wrist, you'll see some options.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's the big deal about velcro on a glove?
I’ve found, over time and high mileage, that the Velcro looses its ability to stick together, I found it worse on boots, guess it’s all the road crap they get... especially in the UK... gloves slightly less so, alpinestars gloves Velcro has always been good but cheaper options we have in the UK don’t fair as well.... I got the handriods because I love the look of them

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are your priorities? Leather, textile, gauntlet, shorty, etc. Sounds like you're looking for a glove with elastic at the wrist? If so, there are options out there but you'll sacrifice protection. Look for deerskin with elastic wrist, you'll see some options.
I ride in so cal, so all year round glove is what I'm looking for. No Heavy padding necessary. No waterproofing. I prefer a slicker more low profile glove,so gauntlets are not really my thing. But if there was a tighter fitting gauntlet out there that used a button snap,something without Velcro,I'd definitely try it. Leather,textile whatever as long as it doesn't have Velcro, and is not bulky.

As for why I don't like Velcro,it just starts opening up after like 6 months of riding. Besides the fact that it sticks to stuff especially the lining of my helmet. But mostly because it won't keep a tight fit. And now the piece that holds the Velcro tab on my current glove, alpinestars smx1, has torn of from the rest of the glove from all the motion putting on and off. I do use them allot. It's my daily glove.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough, I've never had any issues with velcro failing, and I had my last pair of gloves so long I wore through the leather the palm (no crashes, lol) :p
Just curious, what gloves you have? How often do you ride? And how long have you had them?

·
I miss my R1
3,253 Posts
I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I can't find gloves that fit me as well as Icon's. I had Icon Overlord short's for around 8 or 9 years, I ride just about every day.

Ring finger and "f&ck" finger both developed holes just due to age, I believe.

I tried replacing these gloves with A* but couldn't find a set that fit quite right and ended up going with the replacement to the Icon Overlord short, the Hypersport Pro short.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,889 Posts
I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I can't find gloves that fit me as well as Icon's. I had Icon Overlord short's for around 8 or 9 years, I ride just about every day.
Not from me. Regardless of the image of Icon, they have some really nice gloves. I had a pair of gauntlets, probably the predecessor to the Overlord, for years. Great fit, protection and comfortable from the start.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I can't find gloves that fit me as well as Icon's. I had Icon Overlord short's for around 8 or 9 years, I ride just about every day. View attachment 1010291

Ring finger and "f&ck" finger both developed holes just due to age, I believe.

I tried replacing these gloves with A* but couldn't find a set that fit quite right and ended up going with the replacement to the Icon Overlord short, the Hypersport Pro short.
Can you show me the top of the glove and the closing mechanism....just curious. Cause I tried searching that online, there are so many versions!

·
I miss my R1
3,253 Posts
Can you show me the top of the glove and the closing mechanism....just curious. Cause I tried searching that online, there are so many versions!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those look well built but I'm more worried about that velco clasp cause once that fails the glove is useless. Do you open the Velcro every time you put them on?

·
I miss my R1
3,253 Posts
Yes, it's impossible to put them on/off without using the velcro, IMO.
FWIW, I've only owned the Hypersport Pro for about half a season, but I see no reason they won't last as long as my Overlords did (they appear to be the same glove in everything but name)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Honestly the simplest Alpinestars SMX-1 style glove, but just with a button close. No velcro. I dont understand how no one is producing this. I find Velcro supppper annoying. Sticks to the lining of my helmet. Stops closing properly after a few months.
hell, I've had Astars glove velcro come unglued - that's really not working properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts