Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it all. Going to LA 10/31-11/3 and was wondering if any of you guys had a spare bike to share.. and was willing to show me some twisties out there.

I've heard the stories.. hope to find out for myself.

Have no fear.. I can ride my azz off.. been licensed and insured since 1992..

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
I'd love to show you around, but I have to check my work schedule to see if I can ride on any of those days. I don't have a spare bike to loan you, and I'm not into stunts, but I know these folks and they're good people:

www.sportbikerental.com

but don't call them if you plan on stunting their bike. If you want to check out some So Cal twisties on the other hand, that's another story, though, and a cool way to get onto a sportbike for a couple of days while in So Cal.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I cant, and dont stunt.. at all.. *lol*

Most I can do is ride out a 1st gear power wheelie to redline on my 02 R1.. lasts a hot 4-5 seconds..

I was looking more to do the twisties/canyon carving stuff. We dont have canyons or twisties anywhere near DC.. there are mountains about 4 hours away near WV.. but definitely never, ever ventured out that far.

I was mainly asking for stuntbike, because I didnt want to ask to ride somebody's 'prized' possesion you know. Was looking more soembody (kinda like you Eye, maybe an old track bike you could set up for the street) that had an older bike sitting around in the garage and wouldnt mind taking me out and showing me a few backroads, twisties or whateva.

I'll be staying at the Western Bonaventure hotel in LA for about 3 days. I have no idea where the hell that is, other than L.A. and its by the staples center.

I didnt even know LA had mountains, until I saw a pic of the hotel on the website.

·
WFSR************
5,352 Posts
daekwan.........you forgot about us huh>>

going to cali........!!!

alright partner.....you are banned from SO-BE....starting now, traitor

oh by the way I don't live there so I can't lend you a bike

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Man.. you know Miami is my 2nd home.. and I will be back Dec 31-Nov 4th for new years eve. But listen to this. New Years Eve Miami rates so far:

$200/nite hotel rate, and cheapest flights are $350+ from DC.

So we are thinking.. 4 guys, rent a Dodge Ram 1500 again. And drive down for the week. Haul/tow our bikes in the bike.

Should be a definite. So get ready to ride man! We are definitely coming down and it looks like the bikes are coming down with us again!

As far as the L.A. trip. Never been there, always wanted to go. Got a flight, and a hotel room. So now that I'm going, I just need things to do while Im there. I have know idea what to do in L.A.

So I figured.. what better than hope on a bike.. and ride.. ride.. ride.. especially being as though the weather.. and high temp in DC today is..

get this..

51 degrees.. :0(

So its already looking like vacation riding.. may be the only riding I get to do until March!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It would be great to rent one of those 600's, the Honda or the R6 would be nice. You could really beat the hell out of one of those for a couple of days! you would just have to put a back tire on it before you brought it back.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much is a track day out there.. any $99 specials..

nevermind.. I dont have pants and boots.. only leather jacket

·
my wR1st hurt!
1,458 Posts
mkinla, you been through the crest lately? I haven't made it yet, still practicing. Dae, that's one u gotta hit up, as well as lil' tujunga. there not that far from staples, maybe 20 to 30 minutes away. don't have a bike, but if u find one and want, I can try gettin' together on the 1st to show u these roads. Pretty cool rides.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LMAO.. you guys are hilarious.. yeah I got the rollerblades.. and as much as I trust your ability to pull me around.. I'm still working on getting a bike first..

Plus I dont know how to stop on blades.. *lol*

Thats for the tip Johnny.. worst come to worst.. i might have to spring for the R6 rental.. trying to save bucks though!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry I don't have a bike to loan you and I'll be in New York when you're out here. But, if you can get one try to make it down to San Diego. We have tons of riders from L.A. that come out here just to ride Palomar Mountain. Actually, check any posts from PhiSig(and then a number PhiSig117?) and he's from Iowa. That picture he has there is at the top of the mountain. There are two roads you can run on, the twisties and the fast side. Most people ride the twisties. It's about a seven mile run and at the top is a little mom and pop deli/restaurant called Mother's where everyone stops to rest/chat, and then it's off up and down again. That's the pic on PhiSig's posts.

palomarpics.net

·
Registered
386 Posts
Daekwan said:
I was looking more to do the twisties/canyon carving stuff. We dont have canyons or twisties anywhere near DC.. there are mountains about 4 hours away near WV.. but definitely never, ever ventured out that far.
There's a ton of top quality roads around here, and you don't have to ride 4 hours, unless you ride 25mph.

Start with 211 (60 miles), move down to 33 (extra 30-40), and you're in bike heaven. So that's 100 miles to enter the area of awesome moutinous roads.

Considering that bike rental is almost $800/week, I think it would be cheaper to buy used and sell at the end of the week. It would take some coordination, but you wouldn't loose so much money.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
come on.. i know theres somebody with a katana *yeah I said it* or something sitting in their SoCal garage they dont mind lending out for a ride..

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
WitoldR6 said:
There's a ton of top quality roads around here, and you don't have to ride 4 hours, unless you ride 25mph.

Start with 211 (60 miles), move down to 33 (extra 30-40), and you're in bike heaven. So that's 100 miles to enter the area of awesome moutinous roads.

Considering that bike rental is almost $800/week, I think it would be cheaper to buy used and sell at the end of the week. It would take some coordination, but you wouldn't loose so much money.
:iamwithst Those are some sweet roads. I can't imagine roads being much better than that.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep in mind I like in P.G. county.. it took my friends 2hours to get to 211/skyline and that was leaving from Woodbridge!

·
Ride till the day I die
548 Posts
I'll be at the Crest Saturday 11/1. Let me know if ya can make it.

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
Daekwan said:
Keep in mind I like in P.G. county.. it took my friends 2hours to get to 211/skyline and that was leaving from Woodbridge!
I live in Charles County. I usually leave real early and get to 211 early and leave before it gets too crowded. Eventually someone crashes and the cops show up so I try to beat that. It is 120 miles from my house.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bump

1 - 20 of 28 Posts