Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
YEH!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, heres the deal. A guy in the Netherlands has an american 02 R1 for sale for a very small price and is willing to ship it for free because his wife works for FedEx. He said he recently moved there from the US due to his wifes job. He wants me to send him 3K and he will ship the bike to me. good deal or bad?? He makes it all sound very appealing but Im not sure I can give up 3 Large if the deal is bogus. What do I do. Is there some way I can give a third paty 3000 to hold until I actually receive the bike and then release the money to him?? Also it was kinda weird cause he really really wants me to send this cash Western Union, he is very familiar with Western Union, He even quoted the back of the western union receipt to me. What do I do??:(

·
Registered
296 Posts
SCAM SCAM SCAM!! this deal is absolutley bogus. You will be out $3000 and there is no way you will ever get it back because he is overseas. Stay away.

·
I'd win, no doubt.
54 Posts
DO NOT DO IT.. These people got kicked from ebay for ripping people off. I know of someone who got ripped also. They want you to put money into western union and supposable they cannot touch it. Kinda like escrow, only thing is: they can somehow get it.

·
YEH!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He just emailed me back, this is what it said.

Shawn,

I know what you mean, I worked really hard because I wanted this bike so bad and I couldn't even sleep well at night before I eventually had it.

I suggest that you transfer half of the money and I promise you that I will ship the bike over to you and after it will arrive and you will see that I am for real you will e-mail the secret question and the answer for the first transfer and you will also transfer the remaining $1500.

Please let me know what do you think about this suggestion.

Edward

He keeps telling me this is a "secure transfer" and he cant get the money until I tell him the secret question and the secret answer. But the Lady at Western Union tells me that they dont do that. They only do this type of transfer if the receiving party doesnt have a valid ID and it can only be done for $999.99 She says if he has ID he can get the cash at any time. Who does a "Secure Transfer"

·
Registered
1 Posts
well?

Hey i know im new but, dude shipping is expensive I dont care if she does work for fedex, I sell Import ATVs on ebay and shipping to europe is a bi-TCH and plus there is also importing paperwork too doo and bike can be held up in customs for a while.( if its even true!! i doubt it) anyway if is really legit ask him if you can pay thru SEcurepay - its a online escrow service. European Country + REally Low price + WEstern Union = Big Smelly SCAM!! At least that s what I think. Later

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Woo, that's so scammy I almost had to laugh. That one is a classic almost on par with the Nigerians. Dude forget that guy he's so full of crap it ain't funny. If you can't touch it or have someone you trust look at it then screwem. But this one is most assuredly a scam.

·
Too old for this crap...
1,869 Posts
If he's from holland he should try sending it with DHL cuz it's the world biggest courier service. If he said fedex, that means he's BSing.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
OONdaddy said:
He just emailed me back, this is what it said.

Shawn,

I know what you mean, I worked really hard because I wanted this bike so bad and I couldn't even sleep well at night before I eventually had it.

I suggest that you transfer half of the money and I promise you that I will ship the bike over to you and after it will arrive and you will see that I am for real you will e-mail the secret question and the answer for the first transfer and you will also transfer the remaining $1500.

Please let me know what do you think about this suggestion.

Edward

He keeps telling me this is a "secure transfer" and he cant get the money until I tell him the secret question and the secret answer. But the Lady at Western Union tells me that they dont do that. They only do this type of transfer if the receiving party doesnt have a valid ID and it can only be done for $999.99 She says if he has ID he can get the cash at any time. Who does a "Secure Transfer"
Basically what he just said is.................

" Since you may wise up to the scam I'm running , how about you just send me half of what I really want to rip you off for so that I don't totally waste my time trying to outwit your buddies on the R1-forum."

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just Fed-Ex even ship bikes overseas? I dont think they do. I got an idea for ya, instead of sending him $3000 why dont you just buy me a full system for my 04. I mean if your going to throw your money away, I will certainly take some. Just kidding. I have been warned of scams that sound exactly like this. This is def a scam. If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Dude, we don't even have to look to know it's a scam. Do a search on scams and you'll see they all follow the same script. He's probably not even in Holland either. E-mail him and tell him you're taking a trip there next week and could deliver the money if he'd meet you . Tell him you'll be there for a week and able to travel about and you fly into Schipool airport on Lufthansa next Tuesday. Also say that you'd feel much more comfortable if you'd be able to look at the bike. Then see what lame excuse he comes up with. He'll probalbly be on assignment in Baghdad or something.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
BTW , if he has pics of the bike they can prolly be found on the forum here and belong to another member . Guaranteed!!!

·
YEH!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats why I posted the link, do they look familiar to anyone here?? His name is Edward Johnston, or thats what he says and his address is Bohrweg12, 2333CA, Leiden, Netherlands Watch out for this guy

·
Registered
357 Posts
BIG TIME Scam!!

There are plenty of bikes for sale in the US, and prob your state. Look there.

Anytime somebody says send "Western Union" that's your first clue.

Tell him to send u the bike, then u'll send him the cash. See how that strikes him. hehehe

Don't fall for it.

Tarl

·
Faster than a Speeding Bullet
414 Posts
I work for UPS, and I'm telling you right now, we are a bigger company than Fedex, and that dude is yanking you. No way in hell shipping is going to be free, not even if his wife was the freakin' CEO of Fed.

Oh and by the way, I'm selling a Ferrari, only 10,000, brand new, 2003. Shipping will be free because I work for UPS, and I'll have it at your place in a half in hour. Let me know if your interested.:2bitchsla

·
Registered
641 Posts
big scam do not do it.

what part of indiana are you from? i have a '98 YZF 600R for sale. email me or pm me if you are interested. [email protected]

·
Too old for this crap...
1,869 Posts
And do you know how much it cost to fedex a fcuking bike to the states?!! I'm willing to bet it's more than 1000!!!

·
Big Pimpin'
190 Posts
Remember what your parents always told you, "if it's too good to be true it probably is" and "If it's half the price it should be, it a scam". O.K. I made up the second part. Seriously though, it's a scam and if you send $1 to that guy, I'll come over there and :2bitchsla . Just glad you sought advise before you did anything.

Eric

1 - 20 of 22 Posts