Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in austin tx and am thinking about just driving the new 04 home from lake hill motors in mississipi. The drive is like 700 miles but ive done stuff like that before in my 02 without too much of a headache. Ive never done it on a brand new bike before though. I had my 02 from new and never had a problem and i think it would be cool as hell to have it broken in by the time i got home:rock But is this a wise idea? Am i inviting disaster? Or am i just being paranoid? I will have a friend going with me incase it breaks down. Any ideas because they wont just ship it to me and id rather not do the uhaul thing.:dunno

F

·
0 Posts
well......there r a few different break in methods that people prefer.......i've heard that ur supposed to include cool downs in the break in soooo i don't know if u'd plan to ride straight through.....up to you......what's ur break in method......as long as your cool witrh the breakin, i don't see any problem riding straight through

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i dont know about the whole break in period thing. Ive also heard that for max hp your supposed to stress the engine and do cool downs but ive never seen any real facts to it

·
Made You Look !
667 Posts
I would say take many breaks. From what I understand, you need to have longer and longer intervals of heat/cool cycles. Run it for like 100 miles and let it cool completly and then run it a little longer......etc. But remember, this is just what I have heard. This is the method I followed. I have not had a problem yet. Whatever you decide, CONGRATULATIONS.:rock

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Fzrider said:
I would say take many breaks. From what I understand, you need to have longer and longer intervals of heat/cool cycles. Run it for like 100 miles and let it cool completly and then run it a little longer......etc. But remember, this is just what I have heard. This is the method I followed. I have not had a problem yet. Whatever you decide, CONGRATULATIONS.:rock
This is the method most commonly used by race builders.
The only difference is they dio it on the dyno.

I wouldn't do it, but i like to use this heat/cool method along with the acceleration/deceleration method for break in.
However, it is your bike, so do what ya want!!!

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats one of the reasons i am asking this question is power loss but i have also read that racers break a bike in that way but for longer engine life you do the whole distance thing without engine stress. Either way i have seen no real proof of either working or scientific reasons why either would provide any difference in the outcome of power. But if we are talking a couple of crank hp's i wouldnt care but i think the swing is about 10 hp right? Ofcourse i will be taking atleast three breaks on the trip breakfast lunch and dinner most likely but im not going to stop like 20 times! Especially for a full cool down. Well whatever happens im almost positive this is what im going to do then when i get the first service i will have the bike dyno'd and post the results on here for ya'll.:riding

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
why are you going all the way to miss to get your bike? if its bc a good price, I know a dealer here in texas who will match any written price... lemme know

·
married with children
609 Posts
breaking a bike in on the freeway isnt a good idea. you need to get a lot of accelerationa nd decel. to get good compresion. constant freeway will give you lower compresion. i broke my bike in on the back twistie roads. go to mototuneusa.com and see whathe says. he does say to ride it hard on the brake in, that will give you higher compression.

·
Registered
193 Posts
my mate bought his 03 r1, drove it 160 miles from limerick to dublin. A further 250 between dublin to \Cavan to rosslare, then proceeded to do 3000 on a riders rally around Spain.

the bike didn't even think about giving trouble it just ran flawlessly!

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Just shift gears alot to vary the rpms.... You don't want to break it in at a constant rpm...

- BA

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
If it were me I would not do it. :fact I've read in several motor
cycle magazines about break in and it seems to go along with
what's in the manual to a degree. First off you'll for the most part
be going a constant highway speed. During break in you need to
vary the rpm's up and down which can't be done the way it
should be on a interstate. As for cool downs I did three complete
heat up and cool downs (cold enging). I rode maybe 50 to 75
miles then put the bike away until the next day. We all have our
opinions on break in. I went pretty much by the manual, but I did
blip the throttle up into the red line quite a few times and then
backed off to the lower rpm's for a while. All I can tell you is to do
what you want to. Your the new owner. I believe in a good break
in, but others will tell you the opposite. I've never had a problem
with the engine on my bike. Probably, the most important thing to
do is change that oil and filter after several hundred miles. Don't
wait until you hit 600 miles then do it like the manual says.

·
Banned
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it. One of the reasons im buying from lake hill is price but also i want that bike broken in quick because i doubt i will have the discipline to do it right over a month or so. Thanks especially to eyespy with that link. With the trec ive laid out that break in should be a piece of cake on the way home. Its noting but flat land and hill billies between me and the dealer so lots of room to accelerate and decelerate without any problems with the cops. I put my deposit down today!:crash

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
silver02ws6 said:
here how you break it it in..............be nice for about the first 100 miles or so and then ride it like you stole it and enjoy
Totally false. You have up until about the initial 20 miles or so to break it in correctly. If you miss that opportunity by riding it easy for the 1st 100 miles as you suggest, the ONLY recourse at that point is to rehone the cylinder bores.

No one should follow the advise to be nice on the motor for the first 100 miles unless you want to have poor ring sealing, compression problems, and a weak motor....:fact

1 - 20 of 27 Posts