Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a 2014 DR-Z400SM in January. All the hype is true, these are fun bikes to play with. Unfortunately my OCD side has be trying to keep it in pristine condition, which is kinda counter-productive with a supermoto. Compared to the R1 it's slow as hell, but that's what's fun. You can rip on it and have fun with it and not worry about slamming a wall at 150mph.

Turning and handling in general are insane. Bike is so damn light. I found a nice abandoned area by me that I can really play with it, so I'll be trying to learn wheelies and drifting and other hooligan stuff as time goes on.

Although, if Yamaha wises up and makes a road-titled WR450, I'll trade this in in a heartbeat. I just don't feel like dealing with the title/registration issues, especially in FL for converting an off-road bike.

So far, I did:
3x3 airbox mod
JD Jetting kit
Yoshimura RS-2 full carbon/stainless exhaust
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
K&N air filter
Acerbis supermoto front fender

But what's a thread without pictures, right...

With my R1:

Stock:

Yoshi Pipe installed:

Sound comparison (video actually sounds pretty similar, but in person the Yosh is much deeper than stock at lower revs):

·
GO SKERS!!
300 Posts
The stock suspension is wayyyyy to soft on these things from the factory. A stainless front line improves brake feel tremendously, and if you aren't riding it on the freeway/highway a lot I recommend a -1 front sprocket.

Here is mine with some mods.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do anything about the suspension yet? I was looking on the Racetech site for springs, but they seemed to only have softer springs for some reason. Or did you just max out the available settings to stiffen it up with what's on there?

I'll definitely be doing stainless lines soon. I was thinking about sprockets as well. I don't do highway (R1 is for that stuff), but I am in FL so much of everything is long and straight to get from A to B. I feel like I could use a bit more low end though, and I'd be willing to drop top speed to around 80ish if need be.

Nice DRZ, I'm trying to find some off-road spots as well. So many more possibilities now.

·
GO SKERS!!
300 Posts
Did you do anything about the suspension yet? I was looking on the Racetech site for springs, but they seemed to only have softer springs for some reason.
I haven't yet, but have been talking to David @ fastbikeindustries.com. He quoted me $200 plus cost of springs to do the forks. A lot of people on supermotojunkie and thumpertalk say he is the guy to go to with DRZ stuff. Even with stock fully cranked I can't get sag in spec.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,419 Posts
Deezers make great bikes! Mines a '00 with a billion miles of pure abuse.........and I can't kill it. It's my winter beater, single track mud slinger, dual sport whip and supermoto ride. Absolutely bullet proof.......and way more fun around town than my R1.

Get over having it dirty (I don't remember when I last washed mine......years probably) and get a set of 21/18 wheels with knobbies and mud that sucker.

Just don't ever ride a dedicated supermoto! It will totally recalibrate what your definition of light and flickable is!

Here's mine, with it's SuMo replacement in the back ground. After riding the Husky, I tossed the knobbies back onto the DRZ for good!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a 14T (-1) Renthal for the front. No matter how hard i twist the throttle, I can't get the front up. Not sure if it's subconscious hesitation or my weight (210) and seating position, but hoping the sprocket will help out a little bit.

That's a nice Husky, btw. I definitely want to try out a true supermoto at some point.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,419 Posts
The 14t will make a big difference. I actually ran 14/44 on my DRZ in SuMo trim and loved it around town. Sucked big time on the highway (max top speed was 75 and she shook like a Mexican space shuttle doing it) but anywhere else it was a blast and a wheelie monster.

The DRZ should be wheelying like a mofo on the stock gearing, just need to sit back a little, and clutch her in second and it should pop right up. I'm. 240lbs, have a full Yosh, 3x3 and a JD jetted carb. Love my DRZ, which is why I'm keeping it after getting the Husky.

Nice DRZ ya got there. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pics COP TZR, hopefully I'll be doing that soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Acidsamuraix
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing