Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my bike has some sort of wobble in the front end when you take you hands off the throtle that the dealer can't figure out. My bike is still under warranty because I bought the extend 5 year one. The dealer has checked everything with my tires and suspension and has no clue where the wobble is coming from. The dealers answer is "we suggest a steering damper to rid bike of wobble."

So now I gotta call yamaha customer relations to try to get them to buy me a steering damper. I figure if I bitch at them enough I should be able to get one. And if I wanted to bitch enough I would probably be able to get a new bike out of it because of the lemon law. I'm not the one who is going to call though. I got a female friend who will bitch them out until someone does something.

Well tell me what yall think about my situation.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah and the wobble is when I take my hands off the bars at various speeds when decelerating. It varies the wobble depending on how you shift you body weight too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the same problem on my o3' so dont worry bro you're not alone. And just like you I had everything checked and it was still there

....solution = SCOTTS steering dampener and now it handles a whole lot better, no wobble which boosted my confidence.

Good Luck with Yamaha. tell us how it goes

J.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of going with hyperpro for a damper. But if I can get yamaha to pay I might as well go for the best. So which one should I get?

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
BEFORE you go out and spend $400+ dollars, PM either Eyespy or MartinC... Because that sounds like bullshit to me... Maybe an unbalanced tire or something..... But one of those two guys can help you out.....:thumbup

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mkinla said:
BEFORE you go out and spend $400+ dollars, PM either Eyespy or MartinC... Because that sounds like bullshit to me... Maybe an unbalanced tire or something..... But one of those two guys can help you out.....:thumbup
What can those guys tell me?
Its not the tire, they check that out. They checked everything about the tire, barings, forks, and all suspension settings. The dealer is clueless.

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Concept said:
What can those guys tell me?
Its not the tire, they check that out. They checked everything about the tire, barings, forks, and all suspension settings. The dealer is clueless.
Actually where in Az are you, because Anubis lives in Phoenix and he's a motorcycle mechanic....

And also it doesn't ever hurt to get a second opinion......:fact

·
My bikes keep me sane.
5,272 Posts
I don't see Yamaha springing for an aftermarket steering damper.

If they did, they may as well be ready to shell out for 75% of the other '02 - '03 owners.

How are the roads where you ride?

My '03 was twitchy without a damper. That's the nature of a bike with that degree of rake/trail.

You could very well have a bad tire. They will balance and look just fine to the naked/untrained eye while on or off the bike. Replacing it may cure it.

Be ready to pay for your own damper or tire.:thumbup

Just some real world advise.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
sounds fishy to me...and I dont' see yama buying you anything either. no offence.

how many miles are on the bike? did you just buy it? have you had it the whole life of the bike?

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not saying that yamaha will buy me a damper. I just hope they will. Its not the tire because it happened when I had the last tire on the bike too. I only have about 4500 miles on it. Last time they the dealer said that it was because the tire wasn't worn in right. Well now I know its not the tire and its still there.

I look at it like this. I have a faulty product. If the bike has problems that are of no fault of my own and its still under waranty than I have the to demand a fix for the problem. My local dealer says that the fix is a steering damper so who should pay for this fix? Me? I shouldn't have to pay but I probably will have to pay. But it won't hurt to get someone to bitch at a customer service rep for an hour or so until they do something.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mkinla said:
Actually where in Az are you, because Anubis lives in Phoenix and he's a motorcycle mechanic....

And also it doesn't ever hurt to get a second opinion......:fact
Nah it doesn't hurt to get another opinion. But people only said "get with such and such" and gave me no reason to talk to them. If its someone who might be able to help me out because of their knowledge or past experience than I would probably seek them out for their knowledge. But I don't see talking to 10 different people just so they can say "yeah you're screwed"

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
I see the dealer checked a lot of stuff but sometimes it simple things like tire pressure or loose steering stem bearing. I've an 03 and it was twitchy under acceleration but steady otherwise. I added a Scotts for the headshake I had under acceleration which cleared that up.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crazyclimbr said:
I see the dealer checked a lot of stuff but sometimes it simple things like tire pressure or loose steering stem bearing. I've an 03 and it was twitchy under acceleration but steady otherwise. I added a Scotts for the headshake I had under acceleration which cleared that up.
They checked tire pressure too.

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
Not just tire balance affects this. The tire's wear pattern has a big part. most likely the tire is half worn and has developed uneven wear because of riding conditions. I would also bet the the neck bearings are starting to get a little sloppy. Put in a set of all ballz tapered needle bearings in the neck and a new front tire and I will bet you it's gone.

·
Premium Member
23,060 Posts
my 03 had the same problem from day 1 that I bought the bike, i have gone throw several tires and manufactures, in the end I realized not to let go of the clip on while slowing down, problem solved

·
-
1,902 Posts
i doubt there is anything faulty...ive had an 02 and an 03 and they both did it

it really wasnt a big deal to me after i found out that it was pretty common

do a search and i think you will find more input on the subject

i remember looking it up when i noticed mine doing it back in the day and found out that many others had the same experience

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,669 Posts
You don't need a damper to stop this problem but it can help. I'm gonna guess you have the 208 front on and it's slightly worn.....they seem to do this on somebike. Tread design can do this too and certain times through a tires life.

·
YEEEEEEE!!!!!
1,979 Posts
Well it's not just R1 because when I had my 02 yzf600r it did the same exact thing.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the bike itself being "faulty".

On my gixxer 750 now I can let go and it doesnt shake a bit. And I use the same tires on my 750 as I did my 600r. Dunflop 208's

So I doubt it's the tire either. My gixxer 750 also has a stock steering damper. That being said......that's the only thing I can say that it could be. You just need a sterring damper.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts