Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2WheeLife.com
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speeding and crossing the double yellow....Cop was being an a$$. :argue Does anyone know how I can beat it? anyone know some California traffic lawz that Might come in handy?

:machinegu I should have outrun his ass! :boom

·
2WheeLife.com
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I almost forgot....I think the guy had it out for riders today, an RC51 passed by while he was writing the ticket... and the cop looks at him like he wants to go pull him over 2.

·
Faster than sh*t!!!
841 Posts
I'm in law school and all I can tell you is this.

First wait until the last day to go to the court house an dplaed not guilty then they will set your court date. Try to get one as far off as possible. after taht if you can try to postpone it again. What this does is make sthe cop forget his court appointment and if he doesn't show for the court date it will be dismissed.

I just got out of 3 ticket sthis way.

Also ask how you get whats called "discovery." The will usually have a form that is in the court house about how you file. This makes the cop reveal what he wroteas far as his notes on your ticket andother things. This could help in court when he tries to fake you out you will know what he is going to say.

How did he get you for speeding? (radar, pacing, visual)

·
Super Moderater
11,751 Posts
Jess that sucks. Where?

Good luck and good advise above. In discovery you should ask for as many things as you can, paperwork wise. Radar gun specs, last tested etc. Correct me If I'm wrong but If for some of the things that you asked for In discovery don't make over to your court case you win.

I agree though your best bet Is hope the cop Is a no show. Worked for 50% of the time

get his address and send the cop a cheap ticket to Orlando on your court date:lol

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
jd21476 said:
Try to get one as far off as possible. after taht if you can try to postpone it again. What this does is make sthe cop forget his court appointment and if he doesn't show for the court date it will be dismissed.
Yes. I was just talking to my brother in law today. He was telling me that he got out of his ticket the exact same way. He rescheduled twice and the cop didn't show for the third..

·
Faster than sh*t!!!
841 Posts
Yeah if they can't present what you ask for then the case is dismissed but it depends on how they got you fo speed?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was this on Ortega? I started to go up there this morning and I got the helmet tap from about 3 diffrent groups of bikes comeing down. So i just did a U-turn and went home.

·
2WheeLife.com
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It happened on the 60 east. he was pretty far behind me...far back enough for me not to notice... i was doing about 80. I have a 45 tooth rear sprocket though, so wasnt I going slower?

he wrote 90 for estimated speed.

what exactly should I ask for in the Discovery. by reshceduling twice, do you mean asking for an extension, then pleading not guilty? or can you postpone the hearing after you already pleading not guilty?

Thanks a lot for your help guyz.

I rode through ortega earlier, and I took the 5 up to LA and hung out for a while before heading home. I live by riverside now.

·
Wow.....
198 Posts
Wow, this is good information. Maybe we should have a section devoted to getting out of tickets? Mind you, then people would do it too often, and they'd catch on....

What is "the helmet tap"? Never heard of it....is it like flashing your lights to warn other drivers? If so, why wouldn't you just flash your high beams?

Cheers.

·
2WheeLife.com
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will get me a radar detector. any links to cheap detectors?

a tap on the top of the helmet means there is a cop around. if you ever see some one doing it slow down. If you see a cop and your riding with someone or see another rider, tap the top of your helmet.

·
INVICTUS
14,881 Posts
mslatter said:

What is "the helmet tap"? Never heard of it....is it like flashing your lights to warn other drivers? If so, why wouldn't you just flash your high beams?

Cheers.
The "helmet tap" is the universal sportbiker warning for " There's cops back there" we do it here. As for the ticket you said "estimated speed" . Are you saying that he did'nt get you on radar ? If not then you should'nt have too hard a time fighting the speed portion but the crossing the double yellow will get you in a jam if you really did. I don't know about how Cali does it but yes the resched thing can be confusing but some guys are very anal about their court dates. Used to be that people just would'nt show up but just last month at my job they came out with a list of 130 officers who had missed court in a two week period and the chief judge said he was sick of it and wanted them all written up for failing to appear. So now guys here are paying more attention. Glad I'm not a ticket writer!! But even when I did get a gang of subpeonas I never went unless it was a felony trial or deposition for a felony offense. Anything else I figured the courts did'nt give a damn so why should I. After all I did my job getting the perp off the street and they made little or no effort to make sure the people got punished . Contest the ticket, if you get there and the officer is there too at least you could plead no contest and ask for witheld adjudication.

·
Master Mechanic
864 Posts
Just pay the fines and ask to do whatever you can to keep it off your record, they will work with you, your guilty as hell. Quit being a puss.

·
Super Moderater
11,751 Posts
Tubbed S-10 said:
Just pay the fines and ask to do whatever you can to keep it off your record, they will work with you, your guilty as hell. Quit being a puss.
ha ha thats a good one. I got a ticket for 40mph in a 30 zone. This happened In St. George Utah and the cops told me don't worry this will not go on your record in California, your INS will not find out. Well he lied as it did show up cost me big buck on my INS...Get real dude cops lie all the time, judges lie, lawyers lie and If you lie In court you could go to jail and thats no lie. The courts suck

·
2WheeLife.com
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tubbed S-10 said:
they wont work with you, theyre assholes...all they want is your money and to bend you over. I guess they're trying to get us out of this deficit by writing more tickets? I have a wreckless driving already, I dont need any more points on my record.

Thanx for the words of wisdom Solidus, but whats a "witheld adjudication"

I just might get that pay no fine program.....want to go halfers adrian?

·
Registered
21 Posts
IF IT WAS ON THE FREEWAY, THEN MOST LIKELY IT IS THE CHP. I'LL TELL YOU ONE THING, THATS ALL THEY DO IS TRAFFIC. I'M AN OFCR. WITH LA COUNTY AND I'LL BE LUCKY IF I CAN ISSUE ONE CITATION DURING MY SHIFT, BECAUSE OF THE CALLS WE GET. THE CHP DO NOTHING BUT TRAFFIC. YOU NEED TO FIND OUT IF HE USED A RADAR OR IF YOU PACED YOU. THERES ALOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS THAT ARE FACTORS LIKE VEHICLE CALIBRATION, OBSTRUCTIONS, RADAR CALIBRATION, AND SO ON. BUT THE WORSE IS COURT. I HATE GOING TO COURT, ESPECIALLY ON MY DAYS OFF.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'd throw in a few $ for a dl of that book.. pm me..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts