Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Street & Dirt.
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way for a short early evening ride. It was 8:30pm, everyone is at home watching TV except for me and this cop.

I pulled out of my development, continued up the road , stopped at the intersection, light turns green, I take off. Then from nowhere, this cop comes FLYING around the turn I just made and pulls me over.

He gets right out of his car and said "how you doing tonight sir?" I said "great, how are you doing?", he said "the reason I pulled you over is because you didn't use your turn signal pulling out of the development".

There was NO traffic anywhere, literally NONE. He was parked with no lights on a dirt access road so I never saw him.

I didn't get a ticket, and he didn't even write me a warning, he just said, "use your signals".

I usually always use my signals, but when there's NO traffic anywhere, I always consider it optional.

I think this kind of harassment is BS. I have never been pulled over in a car for this reason (although I use my signals), but have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for this.

Needless to say, it ruined my ride. I filled up with gas and went home blah.

· ÆNIMA
200 Posts
Ok, you got pulled over. No ticket, not even a written warning, and it ruined your ride? Man, some of you just take things WAY out of proportion. So what. You weren't using your signal. Big deal. I've gotten pulled over for far worse then that, gotten tickets costing me in excess of $100, and when it's all said and done, I continue on with what I was doing without pause. I've NEVER let an LEO ruin my ride, my day, or my mood. It just isn't worth it.

· My R1 ate my R6
2,536 Posts
When I used to be a cop I pulled people over for not using signals often. At night it is a very good way to find DUI's. Otherwise, it is just a pet peeve. I figure if someone doesn't use their signal they are not fully devoted to driving, therefore, a risk to others, especially motorcyclists. I can't count the times I've nearly been taken out by people just being careless and not using signals...mainly because they were too busy yapping on a cell phone or putting on makeup, or whatever else causes people to not notice motorcylists and run them down. However, I seldom ever actually wrote someone a ticket for this; it was more just like a friendly reminder...a.k.a. "Pay attention to what you are doing dumbass." :fact :fact :fact

· Voodoo!!
7,752 Posts
Ticket

Sorry, I had to reply and put in my 0.02 cents.....

I was sitting at a red light with my face sheild up. Cop hanging out at store across the intersection gets out of car and waves over......

I push bike across intersection, get ticket for not having proper eye protection on motorcycle. $45.00. I pleaded that I was not moving and just trying to get some air.

Laywer cost me $350.00 I fought it because it sounded like, and was written like, a moving ticket.

Get over yours dude! Enjoy the ride.

· Turd Ferguson
682 Posts
They ought to be pulling over people talking on cell phones instead, they pose a much greater risk to everybody. It's been proven they drive worse than drunks. I've come close to being hit MANY times by some self-important dumbass on a cell phone.

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I saw a motorcycle cop on the side of 271 last week I was doing 90mph I saw him putting his radar gun away and getting on his bike so I just rolled it on . Never saw him again :thumbup

· My R1 ate my R6
2,536 Posts
DSims7 the cop who gave you that ticket is an outright asshole. He is the kind that gives all cops a bad image, and probably had no other chioce for occupation in his life because of a lack of education, skills, etc. The cops who are cops because they really want to do good are the cool ones...I speak from experience. I am not a cop anymore because I got tired of the politics of it all, but there some really good guys who are there to help people and do good. Then you have a lot of assholes who are only their because they don't know how to do anything but harass other people for stupid shit. They have been picked on all their life and feel like it is their turn to screw with people now. If a cop pulls you over for something minor and gives you a warning, he probably just wanted to check out your bike or make you aware of something (such as not using a signal) so that you don't get a ticket from some asshole cop would write you a ticket in a second for the same offense.

SOMEONE, look at it this way, when you break the law you deserve a ticket. I do it all the time and just hope I don't get caught. But WHEN I do, because it really is a matter of when and not if, I'm sure I'll deserve it. If a cop is nice enough to let you go with a warning, don't criticize him. Be glad he didn't give you what you deserved...you might could even show a little gratitude. Maybe if more people didn't have such negative attitudes on bikes more of us would get a warning instead of the ticket we deserve. :thumbup :yesnod :thumbup

· Street & Dirt.
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand and agree with all your comments.

I guess I am very thankful he didn't give me a ticket. It just makes me mad when I get pulled over when there's NO traffic ANYWHERE.

The purpose for turn signals is to let other people know which way you intend to turn when there's traffic. There was no traffic period. Since there's no one there to see my turn signal (except a cop hiding), it shouldn't be anything that would be considered illegal.

Kind of like the tree falling in the woods and there's no one there to hear it scenario.

All in all, I am glad I didn't get a ticket, the cop was very nice, and I was very nice back to him.

The first thing I ALWAYS do, is take off my helmet to show the cop I am a person, and not some speed robot. :) It's gotten me out of ALLOT of trouble when riding my dirtbike. ;)

· INVICTUS
15,201 Posts
Spot on............

The guy who wrote the tic for the visor was just being a pure ass. The guy with the turn signal was probably curious or looking for something else and just used that as an excuse. Turn signals are a good thing but not enough to be bothering folk. But if it were me I would have just said , I just wanted to check out the bike. I was talking with some motor guys and they told me this week how much they think all us crotchrocket types (assholes) were hated amongst the motorcycle cops. I told them they had power envy , but they said that it was the fact that so many of us just wheelie past , when they get a chance to nab one they take it. No matter how small the infraction they will hammer you to make up for the ones that got away. I made a case that the cruiser guys are more of a group of assholes because they are more likely to be driving drunk than any of us. We for the most part are fully cognizant that we're breaking the law, but if we **** up we also know that we'll take most of the hurt. I at least tried to " represent" for the " crotchrocket asshole clan".

· Evil Inside
147 Posts
Maxxym,

I lived in Sagamore Hills for a long time when I was younger. Graduated from Nordonia in '87. My mother still lives in Northfield and my brother is a Bedford Heights P.D. officer.

Where in Cleveland are you located?

· Do or do not, there is no try
2,670 Posts
You want to talk asshole cops. A few years back i was coming home from my girlfriends at like 2:00 am and she lived way out in the country. This was my old car and It just died right there on the road in the middle of nowhere. So I began walking towards the nearest town, ( miles and miles away ) when this car comes. I stick my thumb out to hopefully get a ride and it's a cop. (Lucky I think) I told him what happened and then asked him what he was doing out in the middle of nowhere at 2 in the morning. He says Speeders like to come down here at like three times the speed limit so he's catching them (no traffic in sight - tough job he has right?) I ask for a ride to the nearest payphone to call someone and he says he's not a taxi and the **** drives off-leaving me stranded. I got his plate and reported him but still....

I'm sure there's good cops out there...I just haven't talked to anyone who knows where to find one.

· My insurance eats me...
243 Posts
Aurora, Ohio??

I got my first major moving violation on 303 in Hudson (just down the road from you) when I was 17. I was on the stretch between Stow Rd. and Rt. 14. Got nailed doing about 120 in a 45 (This is a wide-open country-ish road for those who don't know). I was on my buddy's F2. Luckilly, the cop was a friend of the family and he only called my parents.

I'll tell you what though, after the beating my dad gave me, I wish I would have gotten the ticket!

Memories....:crash

· Evil Inside
147 Posts
Damn you have been everywhere. I lived in Garfield Heights for a while with my grandmother when my parents broke up.

I know a Sgt in Sagamore really well so I am good there. My brother being a Bedford cop is very handy too.

Maybe we can hook up and go for a ride this summer. I have been wanting to ride the R1 down around the Brecksville metropark for old time sake.

Lived in Solon for a while while my parents were still married too.

You guys are making me want to go visit home. I HATE TOLEDO!

· Street & Dirt.
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can crash over here. =) We have an extra bedroom in our condo.

Solon is like 3 minutes from my door. Garfield and Bedford heights are almost as close.

When I moved to Ohio in 1986, we lived in Bainbridge. Then I went to school in Columbus (devry), then I moved back after working in front of a computer in a cubicle for 5 years. I moved to Aurora to be closer to most of my family.

I bought a dirt bike last year (yz250) and now I am driving to Columbus every weekend to ride!

None of my friends up here want to ride, they just want to get drunk and go fishin(which aint bad), but when I have a 2 stroke in my garage, I have to ride it!

Cops around here have too little to do, so they pull people over. :(

· Faster than a speeding ticket
23 Posts
WHAT A JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was pulling out of Dennys from a stop light. As soon as the light turned green the cop throws on his lights. I have helmet, m licence, insurance, the works. The cop says I pulled you over because your plate was bent up(really slightly). So I say cool and bent it back. This silly bastard says its to late and writes me a $75.00 ticket which ruined my supervision.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.