Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today i got smog block offs, autotune and the graves 3/4 system. idk why but everything that could go wrong went wrong. smog plates were fine, just annoying. i spent two hours trying to get the wide band wires to stay in the autotune lol. the graves slip-ons are moving no matter how much i tighten them, and i cant get the y-pipe to mount to the frame. the bolt will not screw in for some reason. and i found some random round metal thing under my bike on the floor. no idea what that goes to its not for the mount, the hole is too small. i'll try to get a pic up but i havnt been able to put pics up for some reason. if anyone has advice, i am listening. but i have a feeling i'm going to be stopping by my friends shop tommorow smh

Attachments

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The attachment button only lets you so 1 at a time... At least for me.

I loved my graves 3/4 link. Congrats on the pickup :D
thanks man. i went for a quick ride down the road. feels like a whole different bike. i had to baby it right now since it was raining and i dont have the y-pipe mounted. seems to be holding though. i think the threads on the stock mount piece r messed up. it was really hard getting it off the stock mid pipe. it was probly over tightened out of factory. hopefully my friend can squeeze me in tommorow. probly re-thread it or something.
i can usually upload 5 pics. i think it had to do with the size of the pic. i just got the galaxy s6 edge and it has different size options. i adjusted it for that attachment and i think thats why it finally uploaded. sorry for the long reply btw lol

· My r1 is the (o)(o)
448 Posts
so today i got smog block offs, autotune and the graves 3/4 system. idk why but everything that could go wrong went wrong. smog plates were fine, just annoying. i spent two hours trying to get the wide band wires to stay in the autotune lol. the graves slip-ons are moving no matter how much i tighten them, and i cant get the y-pipe to mount to the frame. the bolt will not screw in for some reason. and i found some random round metal thing under my bike on the floor. no idea what that goes to its not for the mount, the hole is too small. i'll try to get a pic up but i havnt been able to put pics up for some reason. if anyone has advice, i am listening. but i have a feeling i'm going to be stopping by my friends shop tommorow smh
That weird washer came from where the cat is mounted to the frame on the right side of the bike.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This install should not be this difficult. You should definitely get help if you have that as an option.

You chose the best exhaust.
i got it taken care of. it was a small over look. i should have tried mounting to the frame then connected it to the y-pipe. once it was mounted everything came together. just needed a better allen set to tighten everything up right. i possibly have a small exhaust leak but my friend said it will probly go away after i've ridden it more. i'll probly have some pics and a video up in a lil.

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
Def looks a lot better without the clamp, but does it need it there to tighten the connection?
Nobody else on this forum has posted pictures of the Graves LINK system with clamps installed. They aren't even in the pictures on Graves website. They are not needed. I even used anti-seize on the connections. My old Graves system didn't use them either.

i took the clamps off, but now my right slip-on can move around a little bit when i play with it. is that normal, or will it eventually stop doing that after a while once the pipes expand more?
You're not doing something right.

Is it the slipon that's moving or the y-pipe?

I'm sure any of it can move a little if you force it.

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
Wasn't sure if they were part of the installation instructions? So they don't come with the purchase? I don't have the graves but I was just curious.
Naw man. They don't come with the kit. They do come with a different type clamp but that's only to hold the brackets in place for the heat shield.....but who uses heat shields. :dunno

:lol

Gotta be how the system was welded. They don't need clamps and they don't leak. That's one of the reasons why I feel Graves is by far the best quality exhaust.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nobody else on this forum has posted pictures of the Graves LINK system with clamps installed. They aren't even in the pictures on Graves website. They are not needed. I even used anti-seize on the connections. My old Graves system didn't use them either.

You're not doing something right.

Is it the slipon that's moving or the y-pipe?

I'm sure any of it can move a little if you force it.
It's the slip-on . I can pretty much adjust it's position an like a half inch or so with a little bit of pressure. Everything else is solid . Is it like that for you?

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
It's the slip-on . I can pretty much adjust it's position an like a half inch or so with a little bit of pressure. Everything else is solid . Is it like that for you?
No.

You probably haven't tighten down the slipons to the subframe tight enough.

I loosened all the bolts on the y-pipe, loosen the the 2 bolts for the slipons, adjust the slipons to where you want them, tighten the slipon bolts, and then work your way to the last bolt at the bottom of the y-pipe.

Be sure to tighten down the slipon bolts tight enough but do not over tighten.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No.

You probably haven't tighten down the slipons to the subframe tight enough.

I loosened all the bolts on the y-pipe, loosen the the 2 bolts for the slipons, adjust the slipons to where you want them, tighten the slipon bolts, and then work your way to the last bolt at the bottom of the y-pipe.

Be sure to tighten down the slipon bolts tight enough but do not over tighten.
I have the right side as tight as i could get it. Once it was bolted down to a certain point the bolt would not move . I'll try it again tomorrow with everything loose. I probly did tighten it with the y-pipe tight and probly didn't realize it

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
I have the right side as tight as i could get it. Once it was bolted down to a certain point the bolt would not move . I'll try it again tomorrow with everything loose. I probly did tighten it with the y-pipe tight and probly didn't realize it
If you tightened it to the point where it will not turn anymore then stop. Do not attempt to tight it again.

Not sure why you're having problems.

But yeah, try tightening the y-pipe last.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you tightened it to the point where it will not turn anymore then stop. Do not attempt to tight it again.

Not sure why you're having problems.

But yeah, try tightening the y-pipe last.
What I mean is the bolt just stops turning like there's something stopping it from turning. I should be able to turn it more. It has barely compressed the rubber in between the slip-on and the sub frame. It should definitely be able to be tightened more than what it is

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.