Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back, my friend bought a 954 (2003) that he said he wouldnt let me ride until he had broken it in. Well after he gets it broke in, he decides that he STILL wont let me ride it until he gets his pipe and pc3.:mad: Well, he got it outta the shop earlier this week and said it now runs like a dream, and he is ready to take on my R1:confused:

So we head out to our little deserted spot and let them rip...:rock . To my amazement, I got by him in 2nd gear, and just kept pulling away to the tune of about a bike length per gear. When I backed off, I was indicating 183 (stock gearing)and didnt have much left. A quick glance in my mirrors showed him about 10-15 bike lengths behind in the other lane.:thumbup . To be honest, I fully expected to lose this race. I had heard good things about these bikes from a lot of people. So we stop to chit chat, and he throws me his keys and says lets go again riding each others bikes. He wanted to take the 'rider' factor into account, because i have been riding much longer than he has. I was perty excited to get to ride a 954 (I never had). So we turn around and gave it another go, this time with me on the 954. Pretty much same results. Needless to say, I was quite happy knowing that my almost 4 year old bike can still lay the whoopin on a new Honda (until next year:cryin ).

After that I spent the next 40 miles or so on his bike...and to be honest, the longer I rode it, the less I wanted to give it back. It is not a slow bike by any means, in fact, it felt snappier than my R1. I dont understand why a lot of R1 riders bash it:dunno . The steering was excellent and the brakes were better than mine by quite a bit. But i thought it could definitely use a damper.

Anyways, sorry for the length of my post, just had a good ride today......one of the last for us up here in Michigan.

·
shoot first and shoot fast
2,933 Posts
I see alot of brand loyalty; go to the different sites, its all the same: I.E. the gixxer rules, the CBR rules and of course most guys here only like the R1. Its funny reading different posts about "how shitty" other bikes are. I say dont knock it till youve tried it.

I had an 02 954 and it was a great bike; very fast and good in the turns but out of personal preference Ide never be without an R1.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey r1dude57. Where are you in Michigan? I'm in detroit, maybe we could hook up for a ride some time. Always looking for new riding buddies.

Back on topic though, my friend has an 02 954 which I have rode and I didnt like the low end power or the seat but I loved the cornering of the bike. It was just so quick and smooth. I told him my dreambike would handle like his and pull like mine. It is a nice bike and gotta admit I did get alot of attention from chicks while riding it, actually more than my R1. I think because it is red.

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
[ It is a nice bike and gotta admit I did get alot of attention from chicks while riding it, actually more than my R1. I think because it is red. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's why you should have a Blue 1.

Pssst! Blue is faster anyway:D

·
World Class Lurker
492 Posts
Keep in mind that Honda always placed rider/bike balance in front of balls out performance. The R1 expected the rider to catch up.

·
Put Your Ass on Somethin Fast.
193 Posts
Also remember you ar ecomparing the 2000 model R1 to the 954,

the 02-03 R1s are a light year different than the previous generations.

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
I think the 954 is an awesome bike. Looks good, handles great... I just like the R1 better :) Bikes get bashed because people feel loyalty towards their brands wich I dont understand too much. I like my bike but I cant find a check from Yamaha no matter how often I look in my mailbox :lol

·
My R1 eats my wallet
43 Posts
I've rode my friends 02 954, i thought it was an all around good bike. The brakes were the most noticable thing, they are better then my bike. Riding position was better then my bike. It just didn't have the feel of the R1 though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
benjdogg19 said:
Hey r1dude57. Where are you in Michigan? I'm in detroit, maybe we could hook up for a ride some time. Always looking for new riding buddies.

Back on topic though, my friend has an 02 954 which I have rode and I didnt like the low end power or the seat but I loved the cornering of the bike. It was just so quick and smooth. I told him my dreambike would handle like his and pull like mine. It is a nice bike and gotta admit I did get alot of attention from chicks while riding it, actually more than my R1. I think because it is red.
I live near Kzoo. And I was thinking the same thing about his bike while riding it. I wish mine steered like his, but I woulda liked a little more power. However, the 954 felt quicker due to its power delivery. I DID NOT like the seat though.

A previous poster stated that the difference between the 00-01 and 02-03 R1 is light years ahead. I beg to differ. On a racetrack, yes the 02-03 remained a little more composed than the previous model and had a little better suspension. On the street, the two bikes are equals with no discernable (sp?) difference in power. In fact my 00 dynos higher than my other buddies 02 R1.

Yes brand loyalty can be a bad thing. You can never experience the fruits of other manufacturers if you only stick with 1. I always hear the R1 guys bashing the G1k, and vice versa over at gixxer.com. I can't go to to either site without getting my bike bashed....lol, but I do love my G1k as much as my R1, its just a different feel. Peace out..Im goin to ride my G1k now (yesterday was R1 day). Its funny that neither one of my buddies with the 954 or the 2002 R1 wanna play on the highway when Im on that one.

:rock

·
Registered
82 Posts
R1 v 954

I owned a 929 for 2.5 years and rode the '02 and '03 954's a few times. When I went to the dealer to buy, I rode the '03 R1 and '03 954 back-to-back just to be sure---and then I bought the R1 without hesitation.

I would say that, objectively, the two bikes are just about equally good. An advantage for one is usually offset by an advantage for the other, and it came down, for me, to a totally subjective choice which was based on overall feel of the bike. I mean, I could list the things I liked better about each bike, but there's no point.

Forget brand loyalty. I've now owned one or more of each of the Japanese manufacturers' bikes, and they're all good in their own way. The R1 is my first Yamaha (to own, not to ride), and I must say I am impressed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts