Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Boss of Twenty 9 year olds
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I'm having some major confidence issues after this past weekend.

To bring you up to speed I was headed towards a major meet spot for a ride with some friends to the Keys. While hopping on the turnpike I was fortunate enough to run into some company headed in the same direction. One of the new gsxr1000's with a passenger motioned to race. Since we were late and the roads we empty, I gave him the thumbs up and off we went. I havea 2005 r1

Now this is FL, land of straight roads. I'm sure it has something to do with the skills of the rider, but we were doing about 80 or so already, and brought it up to about 140 ish . I should have probably been in a lower gear to start, as I was already in sixth, but the gixxer seriously pulled hard on me. We got to the meet spot and he was already laughing at me cuz he got me with a passenger :(. He's bone stock, while I have a slip on pipe which adds basically nothing, and a tooth down in front, which again doesnt really help me from a 80 plus roll on.

I need to improve the preformance on this bike before i start thinking like the rest of the state and buy an ugly gixxer.

I was thinking
-velocity stacks
-pcIII tuned properly

Any other ideas? I love my bike, but have been feeling as if it's lacking somewhat. Help me out, I'd even be happy to hear that I just wasnt in the correct gear and that was the majority of my problem.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
Your headed in the right direction with the mods you listed but I think you were took more by the other rider not the bike. If your not in the proper gear a 600 can walk on ya.

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
I used to whoop on my friend with an 05 R1 with my old 06 Gixxer 1000, he was 140 lbs. soaking wet, i am 180....then we'd switch bikes and id woop him again when he was on my bike and I was on the R1.....

the 05-06 gixxer is definitely faster in a 6th gear roll on(who cares), but the
R1 powerband needs to be REVVED:sneaky .....I see guys at the track killing Gixxer 1000s on 06+ R6 bro, its the rider...

Someone i know has a full pipe on his 06(Yosh), and My 07 R1 right now has GYTRs and that's it, and I kill him....Its rider, these bikes are so close man....The 07 R1 despite lag stepped up its game....

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, good to hear all these responses are in something easily corrected.

I was in sixth because I was just highway cruising, it was early and I like to keep the RPMs down when just floating. I knew right away it as a bad idea to even do it, but my inexperience shined through at that time. I got served.

Thanks for all the quick responses, I knew this one would be an attention getter.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
sounds like he needs advice on how to ride and race, instead of a bike with more grunt :yesnod

·
Its a Money Pit
454 Posts
yah 2nd or 3rd and you would have of been laughing at him. My roommate has a gsxr 1000 and we are always messing around. the R1's kill in the higher RPMS's so keeps the RPM's up next time.

·
Letzroll
1,122 Posts
Your headed in the right direction with the mods you listed but I think you were took more by the other rider not the bike. If your not in the proper gear a 600 can walk on ya.
That's a fact...same with cars. If I leave my Vette in 6th and my wife downshifts her little SRT-4...well you get the picture....

·
I have titanium in my bones
600 Posts
Your next mod should be to move your foot into a downshifting position... :2bitchsla

Or how bout you just don't try to drag anymore while you have an R1.

No more embarrassment please... :butt

·
SHAZAAM!!!!!!!
1,044 Posts
YEAH. + all those who said downshift already. you should have kicked his a$$. You werent trying. If you would have down shifted that chick would have been on YOUR passenger seat at the "meeting spot" :fact

Can I get an AMEN????????

:lol :lol :lol

·
Hook'em Horns
2,825 Posts
80mph, hell you probably could of clicked down to 1st and wheelied by him if he had a pass. Now their is another squid out there telling everyone how he stepped all over an R1 even with a passenger.

·
Custom Bike Builder
1,258 Posts
Wrong gear bub. I've beat plenty of 1000's with the little R6. Guess people should at me sprocket.... Give a couple of clicks, and some throttle next time.

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I agree with some of the responses that I need advice as to how to properly operate the bike in a drag, as opposed to a faster bike.

He was a squid for sure, but if he beat me, that makes me even squidlier.

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,260 Posts
def. would have walked him if you were in the right gear

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.