Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received some really cool goodies from our good friends in Italy.

The device is called the PZRacing LapTronic LP400 which turns the lap timer function of the factory instrument cluster into a 50hz GPS lap timer. Works even with the YEC harness.

You need to splice 4 wires into the back of the instrument cluster, and place the gps module and you are on your way. The color of wires which you need to splice into are included within the instructions.

Works with R1 / R1S and R1M models.

See more details here: https://www.motomillion.com/products/pzracing-laptronic-gps-lap-timer-for-oem-dashboards-lp400

:fork

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was curious to know how good that thing was, did you test it on the track yet ?
Not particularly on an R1 but have used the older version on a Kawasaki and it works fantastic as it should.

They have a plug and play version for some Ducati's and BMW's which are basically the same unit except with a plug and play connections since those bikes do have a special port for it (R1's unfortunately don't have such a port). You can see the comments of the S1000RR owners about these units here: PZRacing B-Tronic Plug and Play GPS Lap Timer for OEM Display - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are there install instructions? Pictures?

I'm surprised they don't just plug right into the stock harness, in researching this last year, I thought you could do that.

Last but not least, how do you set the start/finish line with it? I think the Yamaha software requires the CCU... so curious how just a GPS module would work here. Does it also store the GPS info, so we can export it out and use it in other ways?

Thanks...

·
Banned
3,012 Posts

I'm surprised they don't just plug right into the stock harness, in researching this last year, I thought you could do that.

Last but not least, how do you set the start/finish line with it? I think the Yamaha software requires the CCU... so curious how just a GPS module would work here. Does it also store the GPS info, so we can export it out and use it in other ways?

Thanks...
he pretty much answered most of your questions already. it has a lot of tracks already programmed in it. if not push a button on the start/finish line to set it up. the lap info is stored on the stock gauges like normal. up to 40 laps for the R1 isn't it? wiring instructions are included.

maybe in the future yamaha will include a sd card option to save all of the laps.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks...
he pretty much answered most of your questions already. it has a lot of tracks already programmed in it. if not push a button on the start/finish line to set it up. the lap info is stored on the stock gauges like normal. up to 40 laps for the R1 isn't it? wiring instructions are included.

maybe in the future yamaha will include a sd card option to save all of the laps.
Just as Randy said. I'll add to the plug and play question. The way the harness is currently on any 2009-2014 or 2015-2016 R1 there is no possibility of a plug and play option. There are no plugs to be able to tap into the required wires. I know people hesitate splicing wires, but it is a fairly simple process.

As indicated on the original post, there are a dozen or more track predefined for their start finish line. This is done by GPS coordinates. If the track you are is not in the unit, you just push a button on the unit to teach it the start/finish line and after that the lap timer will use that point. Fairly simple.

This is also a 50hz unit, there is no other 50hz unit out there, meaning it refreshes the location 50 times a second. Which makes them extremely accurate.

·
My R1 Understands Me.
231 Posts
Has anybody here actually installed one of these on the new R1? I purchased one, but the instructions are very vague with no pictures. It says you have to connect the wires to a 6 pole connector on the xenon ECU. Not sure what that is, but if has something to do with the headlights, it's been removed because this is a track bike.

·
CCS #16
177 Posts
It was confirmed to me you don't need the lap button at all. The unit must be wired in wrong... I have the YEC harness - has anyone gotten it to work with the YEC harness? The unit acquires GPS and is powered on, but it clearly isn't communicating with the dash, as the R1 is not displaying any lap times.

·
R1 lover
355 Posts
Has anybody here actually installed one of these on the new R1? I purchased one, but the instructions are very vague with no pictures. It says you have to connect the wires to a 6 pole connector on the xenon ECU. Not sure what that is, but if has something to do with the headlights, it's been removed because this is a track bike.
I'm wondering about the same thing myself. Can anyone shed some light?

·
CCS #16
177 Posts
I got in touch with PZ Racing, and they were quite helpful - their instructions are not super straight forward, turns out two of the GPS unit wires go to the same YEC R1 harness wire (black/white). That solved the issue we were having.

Not sure about the stock harness though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have this for almost a year, it works perfect, all you have to do is program it once and it saves forever, even if you unplug the battery, I have a speedcell lithium and unplug it regularly.
Only complaint is not with the product just that the R1 dash only flashes the current lap for 4 F'in seconds and it's gone... So what I did was change the spot to the start of our longest straight and look at it, believe it or not it's very very close to my lap time at the tracks start/finish like maybe .2 off. I like it and use it every time out.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 r1
3 Posts
Hey man i know this is an old post but i got a question. Where do the wires for this connect to? It says xenon ecu??? Is the the small headlight control unit? Any help would be great. Thanks
I have this for almost a year, it works perfect, all you have to do is program it once and it saves forever, even if you unplug the battery, I have a speedcell lithium and unplug it regularly.
Only complaint is not with the product just that the R1 dash only flashes the current lap for 4 F'in seconds and it's gone... So what I did was change the spot to the start of our longest straight and look at it, believe it or not it's very very close to my lap time at the tracks start/finish like maybe .2 off. I like it and use it every time out.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts