Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grade of gas do you run in your bike? I always run the highest octane I can get. But occording to the owners manual it is perfectly acceptable to run normal 87/89 octane?

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
I only run the highest octane I can find, also. Better safe than sorry.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I also run the best I can get it seems to run better.

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
I usually run 87 octane as recommended in the manual. I notice no difference in performance between it and higher octane and I feel it's just money down the toilet to use slightly higher octane. As long as your motor is designed to work with regular (which an R1 is) it does not affect reliability to use it.

·
1,894 Posts
If you run a higher grade of gas you are less likly to run into carbon build up problems later,it is the same as a car in that respect.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
We here in Sweden got 95/98 octane. Maybe that's why our gas is much more expensive than yours?

And btw, with less Octane.. is the polution less?

·
1,894 Posts
That could explaine it our Octane rating is like 91 if you are lucky. More Octane burns cleaner

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swedie said:
We here in Sweden got 95/98 octane. Maybe that's why our gas is much more expensive than yours?

Wow. Never seen any that hi. Maybe we should run diesel. :D

·
The plane will fly! :fact
7,127 Posts
Swedie said:

Octane rating in Europe is different than the US. 98 in Europe equals about 91 in the US

But I always run the highest I can get also. Found some 100 octane in Provo Utah once, they had it labeled "Trick Fuel".

·
Voodoo!!
7,623 Posts
I always run the higest I can find, usually Sunco 93. I also know that Sunco has 105 Octane racing fuel at the pump. The only place near Philly that Ive found that has it is Sunco on Rt. 100 in West Chester before you cross into Deleware. I and I just saw this pump @ 3 weeks ago so I know its still there. But most do not have it.

D

·
Wil Wheelie for Acid!
305 Posts
i remember i used to see a gas station (right off of I-4) in orlando that used to sell 104 octane. tho this was about 8-10 years ago, so im not sure if its still there. my uncle used to tell me stories about them syphoning gas from airplanes and running that in there muscle cars too, that would be a trip lol.

·
Voodoo!!
7,623 Posts
BTW: I never used the 105 Octane! 93 Octane is $1.58 a gallon. This stuff was like $2.25 a gallon. Did not want to risk it and it did not seem like it was worth the cost. Not to mention, its not like Im going there EVERY time to fillup?

D

·
My R1 is SCRUMPTRULESCENT!
1,620 Posts
I believe I read in the 02 manual that it recommends 91 or higher so I run premium. The 02 must have higher compression or something. I don't use cheap gas though. The quality is important to me. I go with Amoco or Chevron with Techron whenever possible. The only time you need to get higher octane fuel is if you start experiencing pre-ignition (pinging). Higher octane gas does not boost horsepower without tuning.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Dude...............

SloPok said:
i remember i used to see a gas station (right off of I-4) in orlando that used to sell 104 octane. tho this was about 8-10 years ago, so im not sure if its still there. my uncle used to tell me stories about them syphoning gas from airplanes and running that in there muscle cars too, that would be a trip lol.
They still sell it , out by Bithlo. Everybody runs their tank down to almost empty and then gets a quarter tank of race gas before going to the track. It's better makes more hp and reduces the chances of detonation in a forced induction/ nitroused motor.

·
Voodoo!!
7,623 Posts
Solidus,

will that do more harm to your engine? Like running your bike at 50 MPH for 100,100 miles then trying to do an all out cruise at 150 MPH for several hundred miles. The engine is not used to it?

If the bike is used to 91 Octane, then you blast it with 104 Octane at the track (and big difference between 91 and 104) will it cause ping or sputtering problems.

D

·
The way Of The Samurai
1,365 Posts
you run a higher grade of gas you are less likly to run into carbon build up problems
this is true, only when your manual says use high octane, if it says use regular and you use super there will be no difference, just like cars.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
D.................

Dsims7 said:
Solidus,

will that do more harm to your engine? Like running your bike at 50 MPH for 100,100 miles then trying to do an all out cruise at 150 MPH for several hundred miles. The engine is not used to it?

If the bike is used to 91 Octane, then you blast it with 104 Octane at the track (and big difference between 91 and 104) will it cause ping or sputtering problems.

D
Can't tell you about the damage/milage thing but , the higher the octane , the less chance of ping (detonation) . This is what happens when the temp inside the cylinders gets so hot that it preignites the fuel prior to spark. Higher octane fuels are less prone to detonation..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts